GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird vibration at 45mph and 75+ mph

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So I get this vibration around 45mph usually when the car is cold. When the car is warm the vibration is above 75mph and can be felt in the gas pedal and steering wheel as well.

I've put on new tires, tried two sets of wheels, balanced them as well. Car has been aligned too.

The dealer recently replaced the bevel box as well. Now the dealer I have to go to isn't really mod friendly, so I don't wan to fight unless I know for sure what it might be and if it would be covered under warranty.

Think it could be the driveshaft not being aligned properly after bevel box install?

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
57.1mm center bore wheels or are you using hub rings? If you're using hub rings, then that's probably your issue.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Stock wheels

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Mine had the same issue. Right front wheel was bent.

two sets of wheels have been tried. All wheels balanced out fine. None bent.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
two sets of wheels have been tried. All wheels balanced out fine. None bent.

Probably wheel bearing. Drive at the speed you said you feel the vibration and swerve back and forth. If it changes it's probably a wheel bearing.

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a similar issue in which when cold, I will get what feels like an wheel with a bubble in it. It goes away after a few miles. However, I get what sounds like something rubbing if I turn the wheel slightly left at highways speeds. I suspect an axle and possibly a wheel bearing. 66k on the car.
Similar to the owner of this thread, I have 2 sets of wheels and tires. Both professionally mounted and balanced.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I have a similar issue in which when cold, I will get what feels like an wheel with a bubble in it. It goes away after a few miles. However, I get what sounds like something rubbing if I turn the wheel slightly left at highways speeds. I suspect an axle and possibly a wheel bearing. 66k on the car.
Similar to the owner of this thread, I have 2 sets of wheels and tires. Both professionally mounted and balanced.
Do you have Continental Tires? If the vibration goes away after a couple miles it would seem like you have flat spots due to sitting, then after the tires warm up a bit they round out. I had this issue with my Conti Extreme DW tires on my Pontiac G8, after sitting for a while they would vibrate for the first few miles until they 'relaxed' again.
As for the rubbing, I'm not sure.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Do you have Continental Tires? If the vibration goes away after a couple miles it would seem like you have flat spots due to sitting, then after the tires warm up a bit they round out. I had this issue with my Conti Extreme DW tires on my Pontiac G8, after sitting for a while they would vibrate for the first few miles until they 'relaxed' again.
The DW were notorious for balancing issues as well.

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed

I did have the Conti A/S on there a month ago. I am now on Conti 5S and I haven't had an issue since. I still get a strange slight grinding or rubbing from the drive train somewhere.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Damn, I thought this was just improperly balanced wheels but now you guys have me thinking it's a wheel bearing as I've got the same issue as OP at ~75mph. Gonna have to pay close attention tomorrow on my way in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
30-60k is average lifespan on wheel bearings in my experience with various vehicles. Since I am at almost 70k with my vehicle, I am always listening. :D

At 91K on OEM wheel bearings currently. I've never had a car that needed wheel bearings up to 150K before.