GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird issue with reflecttuning’s is38 file

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
Soooooo……… I need help. i got the is38 file from reflecttuning and now this happens. (not even 24hs having the tune on the ecu). i had no problems with the jb4. I could be at any throttle position and anytime over 3000 RPM it cuts throttle or fuel i don’t really know or it’s not giving throttle to the engine. it happens in boost and not in boost this still happens. anyone know what it could be. ian said it’s not the file but ONLY happens when i flash the is38 file on it. When I put the is38 on I used the wastgate from my is20. is20 wastgates are different than factory is38 ones but it’s in spec i double checked. I flashed the car back to stock connect the jb4 again ran my map6 which hits 30psi and i didn’t have an issue then flashed reflecttuning’s is38 file (jb4 100% unplugged) and boom same problem. i’m looking on obdeleven the throttle position sensor and i push the pedal down like 17-25% and the turbo is trying to make over 15psi, feels like a reeeeally sensitive throttle. any help would be greatly appreciated. these are the codes i’m getting. no epc light or check engine light on at all.

6 Speed manual transmission swapped from mk7 gti pp (2016)
(Gti) ECS Stage 2 Clutch Kit
3Inch CTS Catless Downpipe W/Stock Gti Catback
Injen Cold Air Intake
Golf R Intercooler
Golf R/S3 Turbo is38
AEM V3 Water/meth kit 500cc (may upgrade to 1000cc)
2.0 GTI/R HPFP (Autotech Internals)
93Aki

Attachments

• 407277DF-9F62-476C-971D-454BE759B79C.jpeg
    407277DF-9F62-476C-971D-454BE759B79C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • 892D92A7-471D-4CB9-97E8-0E8D162BD626.jpeg
    892D92A7-471D-4CB9-97E8-0E8D162BD626.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 6D63D9D7-45EE-46BC-980C-304BBEC479AB.jpeg
    6D63D9D7-45EE-46BC-980C-304BBEC479AB.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 41

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Looks like you have lots going on - was this custom tuned? The HPFP and meth could be the issue here? Is that tune an OTS IS38 file for the stock 1.8? In the end you need to log it and work with him on this.

Last edited:

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
Looks like you have lots going on - was this custom tuned? The HPFP and meth could be the issue here? Is that tune an OTS IS38 file for the stock 1.8? In the end you need to log it and work with him on this.
i’m pretty sure it is off the shelf but ian from reflect knows all the modifications but like I said stock tune with jb4 is no problems at all. ian told me to change the map sensor I have a buddy that has an extra one going to swap it in and see what happens.

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
Canadians love their meth for some reason.
hahahaha but all seriousness i’m running methanol for the direct injection. I don’t want carbon buildup on the valves, I got the math kit for free for a friend and boost juice is pretty cheap for me at a shop that knows me well. 1.8 has common issues of ring failure from carbon buildup around the ringlands which causes a drop in compression, Meth actually helps with this

tigeo

Autocross Champion
hahahaha but all seriousness i’m running methanol for the direct injection. I don’t want carbon buildup on the valves, I got the math kit for free for a friend and boost juice is pretty cheap for me at a shop that knows me well. 1.8 has common issues of ring failure from carbon buildup around the ringlands which causes a drop in compression, Meth actually helps with this
Intake valve carbon build up on these is minimal for a DI engine - had mine done at ~75K and they looked fine, I only did it b/c I was having the water pump done. Ring failure is not common at all - where are you getting that info? Only reason to run meth IMHO is for cooling.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ian has an OTS IS38 Autotech HPFP tune which is what I'm running.

Only mod variables between me and OP are i have stock intake with AFE filter, no meth and I've never run a JB4. We both have the mk7 6spd too. So 3 variables. Start with what Diggs said. Don't think the intake matters, so maybe the meth. Doesn't the JB4 act as a controller for it. Sure Ian tuned for it?

Edit : MY BAD, I have Ethanol Sensor and flex tune

Six Speed Tsi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15Mk7 Vw Golf 1.8Tsi
Ian has an OTS IS38 Autotech HPFP tune which is what I'm running.

Only mod variables between me and OP are i have stock intake with AFE filter, no meth and I've never run a JB4. We both have the mk7 6spd too. So 3 variables. Start with what Diggs said. Don't think the intake matters, so maybe the meth. Doesn't the JB4 act as a controller for it. Sure Ian tuned for it?

Edit : MY BAD, I have Ethanol Sensor and flex tune
i’m pretty sure it’s the hpfp tune told ian twice i had it lol the jb4 it’s not the meth controller it’s an AEM kit. I just have the jb4 for testing when I flash it back to stock and use the jb4 the car runs perfectly fine I unplug the methanol and still does it. it actually does it in and out of boost. can’t even merge on the highway.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
At this point, def reach out to Ian if you haven't. Something isn't adding up. Maybe he didn't give you the hpfp tune.

Also, see if you can get a vcds scan to send Ian. Shows more than the OBD11