GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weighted Shift Knobs, how they not bad?

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Hey guys, this question is mostly for the manual tranny folks. When I had my mk6 GTI the manual said to never rest your hand on the shifter when in operation. Simply put, shift and let go. So with that in mind, isn't the weighted shift knobs the same effect as keeping your hand on the shifter?

I'm imagining it has to do with the amount of pressure being applied on top of the shifter being the problem. Assuming your hand will apply more downforce just resting than the weight knobs? Don't they sell some heavy knobs though?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Downforce has nothing to do with it.

the “don’t rest your hand on the shifter” is something that’s a common “don’t do” comment with manual cars, the reasoning behind it is so you aren’t accidentally pulling or pushing tension on the shifter linkage in the trans and in return putting tension on the shifter collars.

Last edited:

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
In 5 cars over 35 years I've rested my hand on my shift knob forever and have never had a problem. I've also replaced them with heavier knobs as well. I agree that a weighted shift knob is similar to resting your hand on it though the center of gravity and direction the load is being applied will likely be different so no telling for sure if it's really similar.

And yes, just because I've never had a problem does not mean they don't exist. But I don't think it's as big a deal as maybe people think.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Just thinking a 2" diameter solid SS knob weighs 1#.....resting your arm puts more down force than that. I doubt it really does anything.