GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weeping Oil Pan -- Replace Pan or Reapply Gasket?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Noticed my oil pan is weeping a little oil. I see no cracks, so I'm lead to believe the gasket is just old (87k miles). Is it reasonable to remove the pan, clean off the old gasket and reapply without purchasing a new pan?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it's only weeping and not leaving any spots on the ground where you park I would leave it alone. It could have been that way for a long time.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Certain the residue is from the pan and not originating from further up the block?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Certain the residue is from the pan and not originating from further up the block?

This.

A cam cradle leak caused oil to leak down the back of my block and make it appear as if my oil pan was leaking due to it being saturated.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
@anotero post some pictures so we can see the weeping and maybe help see if it is indeed coming form the oil pan.

Short answer, yes you can just drop the oil pan, scrape off old gasket, clean surfaces, apply new gasket, and stick and move.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Is it leaving any drops of oil on the ground?

It did after sitting at an incline (front end on ramps) for several days. The engine ran while the car was on ramps for some time prior to this. The weeping was present on the aft edge of the pan, as expected due to the incline. Once I put a piece of towel by where the weeping occurs, the oil was immediately soaked up (the effect was very well visible). Once I moved the towel away, a film of oil wept from the pan again. I checked the upper pan and the engine block, it had no oil on it.

After I wiped the floor and the pan, there were no more drops on the ground. I'm thinking the heat cycling when the engine was on, plus the pan sitting on an incline exacerbated the weeping.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
@anotero post some pictures so we can see the weeping and maybe help see if it is indeed coming form the oil pan.

Short answer, yes you can just drop the oil pan, scrape off old gasket, clean surfaces, apply new gasket, and stick and move.

I can try. The weeping is very light and may not be visible in a photo.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

The oil in the car is pretty fresh (about 3k miles). Can i refill with it after draining?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The oil in the car is pretty fresh (about 3k miles). Can i refill with it after draining?

You're going to go through this whole process, and want to re-use like $40 worth of oil?

I'm sure you could, but c'mon man. Just put in fresh oil.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You're going to go through this whole process, and want to re-use like $40 worth of oil?

I'm sure you could, but c'mon man. Just put in fresh oil.

"Whole process" will cost me 150 for the pan and some odd number of dollars for the gasket. That's if i buy a new pan. 40 bucks is about a quarter.