Mr Hatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7 GTI pp

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Do you find Tornado Red pretty easy to match? I need my rear bumper repainted, but I'm so scarred from previous paint experiences that it will turn out bad.

Previous car was a 2017 Mazda 3 in Machine Grey Metallic and multiple shops couldn't get it right because the process is so finnicky.

Mr Hatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk 7 GTI pp
Do you find Tornado Red pretty easy to match? I need my rear bumper repainted, but I'm so scarred from previous paint experiences that it will turn out bad.

Previous car was a 2017 Mazda 3 in Machine Grey Metallic and multiple shops couldn't get it right because the process is so finnicky.
Red is generally a difficult pigment and gets darker with each coat so when i have a red job I pull out three spray-out cards and put two coats on one three on another and four on the third to get an idea of where i need to be, this Tornado was two normal coats then a heavy one so 3 1/2 to get it right, I never sprayed the petrol cap so have a look at this pic to check match

Attachments

• 20200830_114103.jpg
    20200830_114103.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 80

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Red is generally a difficult pigment and gets darker with each coat so when i have a red job I pull out three spray-out cards and put two coats on one three on another and four on the third to get an idea of where i need to be, this Tornado was two normal coats then a heavy one so 3 1/2 to get it right, I never sprayed the petrol cap so have a look at this pic to check match
Great insight, thanks. Looks perfect.