GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wavetrac LSD

Jacobsoup

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just purchased a Wavetrac for my 2015 GTI. I can handle the clutch install but worried about shimming and getting the right preload set on the differential. Anyone know of someone or a shop in the Atlanta area?

Jacobsoup

Car(s)
2015 GTI
To add to this I see one video removing the whole gear set and another going a different route. My main concern is setting the bearing preload

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Buy a .1mm dial indicator and the shim kit from VW. Roughly 100 bucks for both. This is all you need to properly set the preload.

Doing this install, you will need a lot more than just this though. Lots of hardware, new bearings, sealant for the case, new cover to access the gear set circlip, etc.

Jacobsoup

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Buy a .1mm dial indicator and the shim kit from VW. Roughly 100 bucks for both. This is all you need to properly set the preload.

Doing this install, you will need a lot more than just this though. Lots of hardware, new bearings, sealant for the case, new cover to access the gear set circlip, etc.
I have a dial indicator and did see the shim kit. Do you know if the case sealant is anaerobic sealant?

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Good luck my friend! This was a long install at my local shop. Please let us know how it comes, I will say as my first wavetrac, I wish I did it earlier!!!

Jacobsoup

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Good luck my friend! This was a long install at my local shop. Please let us know how it comes, I will say as my first wavetrac, I wish I did it earlier!!!
I can’t wait. Been slowly sourcing parts I find deals on. I’m pretty excited about this one. Have an accessport using the ots stage one tune. Over stock definitely noticeable but trying to build the platform for more power. No clutch slippage yet from the stock clutch but I haven’t been beating it to death either. I did the apr open intake as well which now monitoring iat temps I may have to rethink. Planning on is38 and bouncing back and forth on ethanol. I emailed Cobb recently asking about them doing a true flex fuel kit and they told me that it’s not in the works at this time. That would make the ethanol choice a little easier for me. But on down the rabbit hole.

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
I am from Atlanta, and I got this job done on my 2015 GTI non-PP w/DSG a few years ago. It was really tough finding a shop willing to do this. Two that I recall willing to do this were Solo Motorsports in Lawrenceville and Markert (now True Automotive) also in Lawrenceville. I believe I was quoted somewhere around 12 hours and ended up negotiating down to less hours. Judging by the processes involved (shop sent me abundance of pictures along the way), it took at least 12 hours.

As for ethanol, rather than relying on Cobb I would recommend MPI and LPFP with custom tune from a number of reputable tuners who tune through Accessport. I believe the simplest (and possibly the most economical option) is EQT's LPFP which is a modified RS3 LPFP along with upgraded control module to handle flex fuel. I think the most standard MPI options are either CTS or PR MPI kit with Euro intake manifold that makes install a breeze. You may run into the limits of OEM sensors so you may need to upgrade MAP sensor and possible PUT sensor.

Good luck. I freaking love my Wavetrac. It's so freaking intuitive what the LSD is doing. Make sure you make several adjustments using OBD11 or VCDS to let the LSD do its thing.

J

Jacobsoup

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I am from Atlanta, and I got this job done on my 2015 GTI non-PP w/DSG a few years ago. It was really tough finding a shop willing to do this. Two that I recall willing to do this were Solo Motorsports in Lawrenceville and Markert (now True Automotive) also in Lawrenceville. I believe I was quoted somewhere around 12 hours and ended up negotiating down to less hours. Judging by the processes involved (shop sent me abundance of pictures along the way), it took at least 12 hours.

As for ethanol, rather than relying on Cobb I would recommend MPI and LPFP with custom tune from a number of reputable tuners who tune through Accessport. I believe the simplest (and possibly the most economical option) is EQT's LPFP which is a modified RS3 LPFP along with upgraded control module to handle flex fuel. I think the most standard MPI options are either CTS or PR MPI kit with Euro intake manifold that makes install a breeze. You may run into the limits of OEM sensors so you may need to upgrade MAP sensor and possible PUT sensor.

Good luck. I freaking love my Wavetrac. It's so freaking intuitive what the LSD is doing. Make sure you make several adjustments using OBD11 or VCDS to let the LSD do its thing.

J
Thanks for the advice. Ya I’ve been looking at eqt for the tune. Everyone seems to be saying good things. I’m excited about the Wavetrac. I guess I haven’t ran across anyone talking about adjustments that need to be made for the lsd to run optimally. Do you know what parameters can/need to be adjusted?

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie
There are some electronic nannies that need to be shut off or adjusted. XDS, ASR, ESC off the top of my head. Shopdap had a video about this on youtube.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the advice. Ya I’ve been looking at eqt for the tune. Everyone seems to be saying good things. I’m excited about the Wavetrac. I guess I haven’t ran across anyone talking about adjustments that need to be made for the lsd to run optimally. Do you know what parameters can/need to be adjusted?
Turn ECS to off (program it to be able to turn off). Also if you’re getting an EQT tune, I recommend the Cobb Traction control. This was the hardest decision for me when I switched tunes to EQT. All said and done, on a street car the Cobb TC works very well with the wavetrac

Jacobsoup

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Turn ECS to off (program it to be able to turn off). Also if you’re getting an EQT tune, I recommend the Cobb Traction control. This was the hardest decision for me when I switched tunes to EQT. All said and done, on a street car the Cobb TC works very well with the wavetrac
Thanks. Going for it this weekend.

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks. Going for it this weekend.
Good luck man!
there’s a bunch of ways to code in ECS off but I used Eurodyne in the past, going to eventually get myself either an OBD11 or a ross tech cable.

here’s some pics to motivate you from mine back in that long long time in 2020! worth it!

Attachments

• 763A0D91-16F3-41A9-B843-8B20279017D0.jpeg
    763A0D91-16F3-41A9-B843-8B20279017D0.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 49CE254E-FB2E-42B1-9146-6401B5CE3926.jpeg
    49CE254E-FB2E-42B1-9146-6401B5CE3926.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 64

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
Did my install over the holiday weekend. Figured it was time to do a few other items (alum subframe, rline dogbone, rs3 bushings, master cylinder brace, fsb, adjustable end links, turbo wrap, and tmd. Also had to swap in the stock downpipe to for yearly inspection.

The install was tough for one guy but doable. I took my time, went by the book and did it all over the course of 3 days. Spent about 3 months planning though so I guess it went pretty quick in retrospect.

20220430_144105.jpg
20220527_115504.jpg
20220527_145413.jpg
20220528_110801.jpg
20220529_124942.jpg
Screenshot_20220529-002617_Gallery.jpg

Anyone wanting to tackle this job, make sure you have all the correct tools and repair manual. All box codes aren't the same. You'll need a propane torch or heat gun, 75-80mm blind race puller, various sizes of race/seal installers, dial indicator, bench press, torque wrench just to name a few. Plan to replace almost every bolt you have to take out, especially the aluminum T45's that bolt the case halves together. Get new input/output shaft seals, oring for the selector shaft, shim kit. Do NOT torque the flange bolts into the diff at 33nm as the manual calls for. The diff isn't hardened like the thrust plates are on the stock diff. I'd go maybe 18nm max with blue loctite. Use NEW bolts here. Folks with PP, you'll need a 1/4" drive 6mm Allen with a long extension about 14" to get to the passenger side through the ediff.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Did my install over the holiday weekend. Figured it was time to do a few other items (alum subframe, rline dogbone, rs3 bushings, master cylinder brace, fsb, adjustable end links, turbo wrap, and tmd. Also had to swap in the stock downpipe to for yearly inspection.

The install was tough for one guy but doable. I took my time, went by the book and did it all over the course of 3 days. Spent about 3 months planning though so I guess it went pretty quick in retrospect.

View attachment 250981View attachment 250982View attachment 250983View attachment 250984View attachment 250985View attachment 250986

Anyone wanting to tackle this job, make sure you have all the correct tools and repair manual. All box codes aren't the same. You'll need a propane torch or heat gun, 75-80mm blind race puller, various sizes of race/seal installers, dial indicator, bench press, torque wrench just to name a few. Plan to replace almost every bolt you have to take out, especially the aluminum T45's that bolt the case halves together. Get new input/output shaft seals, oring for the selector shaft, shim kit. Do NOT torque the flange bolts into the diff at 33nm as the manual calls for. The diff isn't hardened like the thrust plates are on the stock diff. I'd go maybe 18nm max with blue loctite. Use NEW bolts here. Folks with PP, you'll need a 1/4" drive 6mm Allen with a long extension about 14" to get to the passenger side through the ediff.
I thought the shim kit was only for DSG transmissions.