GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wavetrac - any downsides?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ya I followed it, but I doubt I would ever invest the thousands to do it. I would literally buy a MK8 R for the cost and not think twice.
I think it more or less does what the rear diff in the R does, in that it makes the rear end more lively and of course to let you drift.

I haven't driven the MK8 R (or seen one here in Canada yet), but I don't believe it will give you that RWD sensation as it still has the FWD tied in directly. If we had more of the system found in the Mitsu EVO's where they could disconnect the front wheels at the transfer case, then this type of stuff would be great.

The MK8 R is a good step though with it's rear diff, I am still curious on where XDS+ is being used, or if it's even being used.
Watch this Throttle House review for your answers about the R. The last 5 minutes in particular.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ya I followed it, but I doubt I would ever invest the thousands to do it. I would literally buy a MK8 R for the cost and not think twice.
I think it more or less does what the rear diff in the R does, in that it makes the rear end more lively and of course to let you drift.

I haven't driven the MK8 R (or seen one here in Canada yet), but I don't believe it will give you that RWD sensation as it still has the FWD tied in directly. If we had more of the system found in the Mitsu EVO's where they could disconnect the front wheels at the transfer case, then this type of stuff would be great.

The MK8 R is a good step though with it's rear diff, I am still curious on where XDS+ is being used, or if it's even being used.

Because there are still two open diffs in the AWD system, it has to rely on the electronic ABS systems eg ASR, ESC, XDS, etc.. Cannot get away from this due to the mechanic limitations of the system in certain situations. Swap the open diffs for LSD's & the the reliance on the electronic systems decreases.

I did a "about it" guide on the Haldex unit used as a VAQ in the GTI-PP....should give you an idea as to the strengths & weaknesses...

How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Really? Because this might be the second time it's been mentioned on this forum and a lot of R owners feel that the Haldex system is good enough as is.
Exactly this

I think you've been living in a bubble. Tons of R's have them

Just a quick sampling. here's 5 I found with a quick search. All R's....

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 9.09.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 9.10.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 9.10.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 9.13.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 9.16.34 AM.png

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Watch this Throttle House review for your answers about the R. The last 5 minutes in particular.

Ya I am still not 100% sure if it answers enough. I know up to 50% goes to the rear, but since most of the power is going to the front, much like the Focus RS, you don't get the 'best' until you get the front LSD which came in the 'final edition' of the RS. He didn't comment either on whether XDS was helping in controlling the car, which the Wavetrac improves a lot on. I think OBDEleven or VCDS will answer quite a bit though since I am pretty sure with traction control off, XDS is still enabled, you need to go into the module and code it out.

I also don't think my answers will be answered in a test drive, especially if a sales person is in the car with me lol

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Wavetrac has a DQ381 LSD listed as coming soon, don't know of any other manufacturers working on one.
I reached out to them to see where their development is sitting at. I don't mind being a guinea pig if they're looking for testers heh.

dwbandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R | 6MT
When I got my clutch / flywheel and thrust bearing done, I had the Wavetrac installed.
I recommend doing it when you need to do your clutch, as they will have the transmission and everything taken apart and they will likely cut your hourly drastically.

IMO, for DSG or if you already did your clutch ya the bullet is a bit tougher to bite.
Wish I had considered it when I was doing my clutch! It’s a good point

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
So i'm in the same boat now trying to decide if I want to get this LSD put into my car. I'm having the clutch replaced in 2 weeks and need to decide if I want to pay the extra $1700 for it to be added on top of replacement of the clutch. I just daily drive my car with spirited driving. Still have wheel spin even with upgraded motor mounts when doing DIGS. Other than that i dont track my car. Trying to decide if I should get it done or not.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So i'm in the same boat now trying to decide if I want to get this LSD put into my car. I'm having the clutch replaced in 2 weeks and need to decide if I want to pay the extra $1700 for it to be added on top of replacement of the clutch. I just daily drive my car with spirited driving. Still have wheel spin even with upgraded motor mounts when doing DIGS. Other than that i dont track my car. Trying to decide if I should get it done or not.

I would probably not spend the money as you really only get to use it for brief moments only during spirited driving and it needs to be rather full spirited corner exits or digs. Just have to figure how often that occurs and if the expense is worth it.
If money is no object then why not go for it is another thought.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
agree with GIACUser, the only thing that pushed me over the edge on doing it is one question:

is this going to be your last ICE car you will own, even if you stop daily driving it? if yes, do it. if no, don't do it.
You are really coming down to the wire now of maybe the MK8 being the last ICE you will be able to buy? Many other models of cars are in the same boat before converting to a hybrid or full out EV, and there might be some desirables coming, so need to ask yourself, is this sticking around for more than a few years?

For me and my wife, we agreed this is sticking around for at least another 4 years, as her car is next to be replaced.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
agree with GIACUser, the only thing that pushed me over the edge on doing it is one question:

is this going to be your last ICE car you will own, even if you stop daily driving it? if yes, do it. if no, don't do it.
You are really coming down to the wire now of maybe the MK8 being the last ICE you will be able to buy? Many other models of cars are in the same boat before converting to a hybrid or full out EV, and there might be some desirables coming, so need to ask yourself, is this sticking around for more than a few years?

For me and my wife, we agreed this is sticking around for at least another 4 years, as her car is next to be replaced.

Yes this will possibly be my last ICE vehicle. I plan on keeping it for another 2-5 years or until Tesla comes out with the Model 2 Hatchback. I love this car and its been super reliable to me and i baby her. Did you have it done on your vehicle? was there a huge difference just spirited driving and having fun with the car? Also you think the resale value would go up with the LSD, do nothing, or make the car worth less?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I would probably not spend the money as you really only get to use it for brief moments only during spirited driving and it needs to be rather full spirited corner exits or digs. Just have to figure how often that occurs and if the expense is worth it.
If money is no object then why not go for it is another thought.

I'm in an R, so don't need to worry about traction issues as much. If I wasn't tracking the car, I wouldn't think the Wavetrac was worth the cost.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Yes this will possibly be my last ICE vehicle. I plan on keeping it for another 2-5 years or until Tesla comes out with the Model 2 Hatchback. I love this car and its been super reliable to me and i baby her. Did you have it done on your vehicle? was there a huge difference just spirited driving and having fun with the car? Also you think the resale value would go up with the LSD, do nothing, or make the car worth less?
Ya, or if the id3 R (equivalent comes I would be happy).

Yes I have it, it only is fun in corners really. You always are going to have more power going through the front wheels, so treat it like you are driving a GTI except with a rear assist.

Resale value is not going to go up, unless you find the right private buyer. It's my daily driver, so I am at 70,000 km (43,000 miles) so maybe when my wife's car replacement comes the mileage will slow down and make it a bit desirable. Selling it to a dealership, or such won't care at all

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Honestly when my traction control light comes on out of a barely aggressive turn I feel like I'm driving a toy. If a wavetrac could resolve that, I would be in love. You aren't going to have an opportunity like this to save money on the mod for another 5? years depending on how you treat the clutch. Wavetrac is 100% going in on my next job.