GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water Pump / Thermostat Housing Replacement: Intermediate Shaft Removal Tool?

Quentin_De_Boever

Car(s)
2015 GTI S (6mt)
Hi all,

Getting through my water pump replacement (diy) and ran into an issue which has come up before. I am trying to remove the water pump intermediate shaft so that I can replace the belt. I have heard some people were able to replace the belt without removing the shaft (on other VAGs, not the Mk7 specifically). I was actually able to use that method when performing the same repair on my previous Audi A4 (B8) with the 2.0 TFSI. However, I am not able to do it on this car, so looks like I'll have to remove the intermediate shaft (sigh). Now, there are some specialty tools out there to help with this ($60-$90). Other people make a tool themselves (need to do some grinding/welding/etc.). I do not have the skill or parts to make a tool myself, and I also don't want to pay $60 for a tool that looks like it should cost $10. If you don't know: the intermediate shaft is held on by a 12mm bolt (reverse threaded), but it is recessed so it's quite difficult to get a good grip on with an open-ended spanner/wrench.

So, two things:

1. Does anyone know of a cheaper tool that will work well to remove the bolt? I've seen some promising things out there, but would like to know if anyone has tried anything that has worked well.

2. If anyone has tried the specialty tool (I will provide links and a picture), did it at least work well? The strange thing is that when you "verify fitment" it actually doesn't say it will fit our cars, but I'm 99% confident they will. I just found that odd.

Links to specialty tools:

- https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/40...lSQoWe1wRP44Qxwnky1Nf9Okx4MwCi9BoC2BcQAvD_BwE

- https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/15018...ce=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed_VW

- https://www.carid.com/baum-tools/water-pump-socket-mpn-bt10360.html?view=379586

P.S. I also found it weird that there is no DIY waterpump/thermostat replacement guide on this forum anywhere. Maybe because there is already some decent videos online?

Attachments

• Waterpump_tool.PNG
    Waterpump_tool.PNG
    191.2 KB · Views: 92

Quentin_De_Boever

Car(s)
2015 GTI S (6mt)
Im a tech for Audi and have done 1000 thermostat jobs and not once have I replaced that belt. Even after 200k miles that belt is still reused. I've replace the gear before due to one being broke and I reused the old belt.
Thanks Ryan, I figured the old belt is fine. But I got a new one with the kit so figured I'd at least have a go at replacing it. Didn't realize it would cost an extra $60 though... Glad to hear those belts last that long though, may just leave it in then.

Reyes351

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Im a tech for Audi and have done 1000 thermostat jobs and not once have I replaced that belt. Even after 200k miles that belt is still reused. I've replace the gear before due to one being broke and I reused the old belt.
do you run an adaptation after replacement?