GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water leak in passenger footwell

lwbracks

Yeah, definitely have a good look at the fresh air inlet under the scuttle, if the scuttle drains are blocked up it may allow water to seep behind the exterior of the inlet and then down the inside of the bulkhead.

By scuttle drains are you talking about the big holes that are under the scuttle panel? These look clear on top but can't really see into them for whats below.

Would the water have to flow over the top of the inlet for it to get in?

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
By scuttle drains are you talking about the big holes that are under the scuttle panel? These look clear on top but can't really see into them for whats below.

Would the water have to flow over the top of the inlet for it to get in?
Yes, at either side.

lwbracks

Does anyone know how these cable clusters are removed from the car body? See picture 1. Do they simply pull off or is there a removal tool required?

Need to remove them to allow more of the grey insulation liner to be remove.

Still no clearer as to the cause. Arch removed, was full of mud and soaked foam wing insert. Cleaned and tested and water is still entering the car and running behind where the cables are shows on the photo attached (1). Next step to check the grommet behind the battery for integrity. Failing that I'm going to use a uv dye and try that way.

In picture 2 ( apologies it was hard to photo ans also -2°c when I was working the car) theres a rubber looking item which is located on the top right of the wing panel as you look at it. Does anyone know what it is? Water runs around it when water tested so it may be something to look at.
20200115_185210.jpg

20200117_155649.jpg

Thanks.

southpawboston

Drag Race Newbie
The connectors have secondary locks on them. Notice the purple bits. They usually slide in one dimension to provide a secondary lock to the connector. Like when you close your house door and then secondarily lock the deadbolt, lol. Typically you press on them and they click to the unlocked position. Then you can squeeze the primary lock tab on the connector to slide it out.

If you want to remove the entire connector frame (black) you can use a trim tool to carefully pry (prise) out the clip from the A-pillar.

That black grommet does look like it may have come popped out!

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
168FE687-E893-494F-A1AE-89F7E12064AC.jpeg

Inner structure with wing removed,^
Your second picture above is looking up into the wing in the same direction as the yellow arrow, the yellow cross marks approximately where your red circle around the grommet is, I believe the grommet is part of the outer wing and doesn’t lead inside even if removed, the lower hole though shown in my picture does appear to lead inside and looks like it may be behind the foam, maybe there is a grommet there too?? Actually that lower hole may be in the door jam area and visible by the door hinge!?

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
This may help you (if needed) visualise the components locations in relation to each other,
8F21271F-92B4-4352-86DB-B8205D4331C6.jpeg

Legion411

I have the exact same problem on the wife's car. Please post if you find out something. Do you also park your car facing uphill? Our driveway is pretty steep and it seems to exacerbate things. I plan on having a good go at it this weekend. I'll keep you posted if i find anything .

lwbracks

After numerous water tests the car would only leak fluid when parked up a hill. Down a hill nothing. I used fluro die to isolate the area it was leaking and came up with only one possible area. Unfortunately I didnt take any pictures so Ill describe as best possible the way I solved on my car. I would personally eliminate AC drain first, then speaker gasket (if you have water pooling on your door sill). Also check that your cover in your pollen filter is fitted correctly, remove the filter and see if its looking wet too.

I also removed the passenger seat (this will throw a airbag light on which youll need a code reader to reset or VAG comp), glove box and pulled back all the carpet to assist seeing where the leak was as mine was coming from right behind the LHS dash. (My cars RH drive might I add)

LH wheel removed, and liner. Look up at the scuttle drain hope. In short the water was tracking down the hole, and seeping between the skins of metal (ill draw a diagram to try help). Basically I got some wind turbine sealant (any sealant will work) but a something putty like will be easier to apply and just sealed the gap around the oval hole on the underside. After a few water tests again for over 20 minutes, and the numerous storms the uk has had over the past 6 weeks, its fine. No water on the carpet and zero fogging of the windscreen which used to be constant!.

I hope this helps.... I totally feel your pain and stress.

Attachments

• 20200304_115257.jpg
    20200304_115257.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 184

Legion411

After numerous water tests the car would only leak fluid when parked up a hill. Down a hill nothing. I used fluro die to isolate the area it was leaking and came up with only one possible area. Unfortunately I didnt take any pictures so Ill describe as best possible the way I solved on my car. I would personally eliminate AC drain first, then speaker gasket (if you have water pooling on your door sill). Also check that your cover in your pollen filter is fitted correctly, remove the filter and see if its looking wet too.

I also removed the passenger seat (this will throw a airbag light on which youll need a code reader to reset or VAG comp), glove box and pulled back all the carpet to assist seeing where the leak was as mine was coming from right behind the LHS dash. (My cars RH drive might I add)

LH wheel removed, and liner. Look up at the scuttle drain hope. In short the water was tracking down the hole, and seeping between the skins of metal (ill draw a diagram to try help). Basically I got some wind turbine sealant (any sealant will work) but a something putty like will be easier to apply and just sealed the gap around the oval hole on the underside. After a few water tests again for over 20 minutes, and the numerous storms the uk has had over the past 6 weeks, its fine. No water on the carpet and zero fogging of the windscreen which used to be constant!.

I hope this helps.... I totally feel your pain and stress.

Many thanks for the update.

So, the water was not running down the back of the wing near the bonnet hinge, but was coming from the scuttle drain area?

I'll try to post some pics for other folks after i've had a bash this weekend

lwbracks

Many thanks for the update.

So, the water was not running down the back of the wing near the bonnet hinge, but was coming from the scuttle drain area?

I'll try to post some pics for other folks after i've had a bash this weekend

Water will run through the wing from by the bonnet hinge and drain out rear of the wheel. (This is normal) I took the foam out of the wing to check the flow( some cars have a rubber seal instead). My water was coming through higher than any of the possible places inside of the wing, so that was ruled out immediately. But worth checking around where the wiring harness comes from the car into the door.

Purchase some Uv/fluro to help track the water to the top. 2 people is essential of its anything like mine. One spraying areas systematically and one with their head and arms inside the foot well. I used this dye (it was well worth buying to trace how high the water was coming from.

Just make sure you test your car flat, downhill and uphill.

I did come across VW manuals which included their water fault finding process. Ill put a link below. Might me of use for info now and definitely in the future, but it didn't help me find my issue. To think they wanted to charge me £80 an hour to do it, dash removal would have been required.... adding up to £500 before they've even done a 2 man water test.....

Happy to answer any other questions.

https://www.toolstation.com/drain-t...0Dkm_mvNzntjg7xYiDP8VAp1iQzwA8xcaAj-iEALw_wcB

Jugle

Almost certainly blocked drains somewhere. They have those silly rubber nipples with a split at the bottom of the drain pipe and they easily become clogged with leaves that turn to mud.

Had this happen with Passats where the battery is in front of the windscreen and has drainholes under it. Also a classic SAAB 900 where the fresh air vent filed up causing water to seep through grommets into wiring under the dash. That one took 3 months to find it was the cause behind intermittent breakdowns.

Legion411

Well, we finally had a dry Saturday in Devon so i could take a look at the issue.
Turns out it was a poorly sealed seam, similar to what the OP had found.
Take off NSF wheel and liner, see a tiny gap in the seam (red circle). When parked facing up hill water would run from the drain hole in the scuttle, down the inner arch and into this little gap. With this February being the wettest on record in the UK was enough to soak the sound deadening through and create a puddle in the foot well.
To resolve i applied a liberal amount of seam sealer to that area, and all the seams i could see just to be safe (don't cover the drain in the a-panel!)

Absolutely pi55ed down last night and all was dry this morning, so appears to be resolved (touch wood)

1583659917300.png

1583659964775.png

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Just curious, Did you physically see the water transfer outside to inside by testing??

Legion411

Just curious, Did you physically see the water transfer outside to inside by testing??

Yeah, poured water with a little food colouring in directly on that hole, saw it come out in the footwell. Bottom left of the footwell as you look towards the front, where the panel your feet rest on meets the floorpan. Note the car is parked facing uphill.

lwbracks

Gla
Yeah, poured water with a little food colouring in directly on that hole, saw it come out in the footwell. Bottom left of the footwell as you look towards the front, where the panel your feet rest on meets the floorpan. Note the car is parked facing uphill.
[/QUOTE

Glad you found the issue! Its rather worrying that these faults exist on a car that isn't exactly cheap to buy! Just shows that it literally could be anything thats causing the leak.