GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty Work

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Howdy, so I took my 2 year old Autobahn DSG in to the dealership for the 2nd year mainteance. The car has 7K miles on it. I pointed out that the sunroof had a big rattle in it. It was the glass rubbing against the motor, evidently. They put a strip of felt in, and then charged me $50 Us dollars for labour.

Then, they found that the differential was leaking, took it apart, and found it was full of oil. Fixed this put it together, and somehow they threw the wheel alignment out. They said they had to phone Volkswagen to see if this was coverable. Evidently not, and the next door Porche dealership does their alignments at $100 and I could take it there if I wanted. I am scratching my head on this one too, as they caused the misalignment.

So, expressing how much I was disatisfied, they refered me to the manager, and am now waiting to talk to him.

Comments?

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Guess not. On the rattle on the sun roof, the service manager said that the warranty on rattles is only good for one year under the bumper to bumper. I can live with that I suppose, but the alignment issue is just horse toddels.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Then, they found that the differential was leaking, took it apart, and found it was full of oil. Fixed this put it together, and somehow they threw the wheel alignment out. They said they had to phone Volkswagen to see if this was coverable. Evidently not, and the next door Porche dealership does their alignments at $100 and I could take it there if I wanted. I am scratching my head on this one too, as they caused the misalignment.

I'd be genuinely surprised if the warranty did not cover an alignment as part of a warranty repair which requires removal of both axle shafts, as that would require some suspension disassembly. What's likely going on here is that the warranty clerk (or whoever) at the dealership doesn't know how to code it properly on the claim, can't be bothered to learn, or knows how but doesn't want the hassle. Since the VW dealership does not have an alignment rack, they'd have to get approval for a sublet repair, which adds yet another wrinkle. So I'm guessing that it's covered, they're just not interested in going the extra steps to get the warranty claim paid by VW.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'd be genuinely surprised if the warranty did not cover an alignment as part of a warranty repair which requires removal of both axle shafts, as that would require some suspension disassembly. What's likely going on here is that the warranty clerk (or whoever) at the dealership doesn't know how to code it properly on the claim, can't be bothered to learn, or knows how but doesn't want the hassle. Since the VW dealership does not have an alignment rack, they'd have to get approval for a sublet repair, which adds yet another wrinkle. So I'm guessing that it's covered, they're just not interested in going the extra steps to get the warranty claim paid by VW.

I wouldn't trust what a VW shop that can't do alignments says.