GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Interesting thing I found nerding out with OBDEleven in the engine control module.

Here is your "flash counter" (or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it) - check the engine control unit/advanced identification/number of programming attempts. "application 2" matches how many total times (including the OE stock "tune") it's been flashed by me (so here it was 3; 3= stock + stage 1+ + stage 2 IS20). I recently did an update so another flash and it went up by 1 when I checked. I'm not thinking this gets zeroed out when you flash back to stock/unpair an AP. If I can see this with OBDEleven, VW has to be able to see this and more with their scan tool.

Attachments

• flash_counter_2.jpg
    flash_counter_2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 163
  • flash_counter.jpg
    flash_counter.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Interesting thing I found nerding out with OBDEleven in the engine control module under

Here is your "flash counter" (or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it) - check the engine control unit/advanced identification/number of programming attempts. "application 2" matches how many total times (including the OE stock "tune") it's been flashed by me (so here it was 3; 3= stock + stage 1+ + stage 2 IS20). I recently did an update so another flash and it went up by 1 when I checked. I'm not thinking this gets zeroed out when you flash back to stock/unpair an AP. If I can see this with OBDEleven, VW has to be able to see this and more with their scan tool.

It would be interesting if you unmarried and check it again. That would probably solve the mystery right there. If it resets, then we would know at least that it isn't the counter getting AP cars flagged, but still could be something else. If it goes up, then we know for certain the counter is at least one issue.

Good find, thanks for contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It would be interesting if you unmarried and check it again. That would probably solve the mystery right there. If it resets, then we would know at least that it isn't the counter getting AP cars flagged, but still could be something else. If it goes up, then we know for certain the counter is at least on issue.

Good find, thanks for contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way.
I do not have an AP - I have Unitronic software and I while I can certainly "flash back to stock" and check, it's a PITA and I'm not concerned w/r to TD1 - I am quite sure my car is flagged as it's been in for a few recalls/warranty repairs and I don't bother with the flash back to stock thing (I have a differrent turbo/DP anyway) and as has been pointed out here, I don't think you will know unless there is a warranty claim submitted. Maybe someone (OP on this topic?) can have a look today if they have an OBDEleven and an AP and play around with it? It still doesn't tell you much b/c nobody seems to really understand what specifically within the ECM is the trigger for the scan tool to determine if you have monkeyed with the software. Maybe this counter continue to increment up each time and that isn't what the scan tool is seeing.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I do not have an AP - I have Unitronic software and I while I can certainly "flash back to stock" and check, it's a PITA and I'm not concerned w/r to TD1 - I am quite sure my car is flagged as it's been in for a few recalls/warranty repairs and I don't bother with the flash back to stock thing (I have a differrent turbo/DP anyway) and as has been pointed out here, I don't think you won't know unless there is a warranty claim submitted. Maybe someone (OP on this topic?) can have a look today if they have an OBDEleven and an AP and play around with it? It still doesn't tell you much b/c nobody seems to really understand what specifically within the ECM is the trigger for the scan tool to determine if you have monkeyed with the software. Maybe this counter continue to increment up each time and that isn't what the scan tool is seeing.

I'm not concerned about being flagged either, I was just trying to add to the body of knowledge and answer the question once and for all. I don't get all the negative comments. And you're right, it might not even be the counter that is being used to trigger a TD1. As far as knowing or not if it's been flagged, dealer is telling me that will be able to tell if it's flagged, but dealers have been known to be FOS, but I'm dealing with racing buddies, not your run of the mill dealer employees. They could be wrong, but I'm willing to try to find out, for science. If I'm able to pick up a battery charger today, I'll unmarry and see if it resets to 2, because my car was flashed at factory and for service update due to the stalling issue.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm not concerned about being flagged either, I was just trying to add to the body of knowledge and answer the question once and for all. I don't get all the negative comments. And you're right, it might not even be the counter that is being used to trigger a TD1. As far as knowing or not if it's been flagged, dealer is telling me that will be able to tell if it's flagged, but dealers have been known to be FOS, but I'm dealing with racing buddies, not your run of the mill dealer employees. They could be wrong, but I'm willing to try to find out, for science. If I'm able to pick up a battery charger today, I'll unmarry and see if it resets to 2, because my car was flashed at factory and for service update due to the stalling issue.
I'm 100% in on the results b/c it's interesting if anything.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm actually adding to the thread, you are not.

Now that's really funny. The only thing you've added over and over is wondering whether unmarrying an AP will erase the flash counter. Just do it and report back.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Now that's really funny. The only thing you've added over and over is wondering whether unmarrying an AP will erase the flash counter. Just do it and report back.

?

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
The dealer can see the TD1/TXD code before he even makes a claim. They can see is in the online tool 'elsa' where they check history and car info. There the Flagg wil be visible. When a car is scanned for normal maintaining work the engine 'life cycle' écu data is auto send to vw. Auto flagging running can take some time my old car gtd 7 got flagged after 1 year. But however if there is done some extra work the check happens instantly for example my gti is flagged within 1 min after updating mib firmware. Also the tech/dealers must start a guided programe 'waranty check' when big engine an drivtrain work is done. Then it also gets flags within minutes.