GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's still debate if unmarrying will keep from being flagged. Non of my AP tuned Subarus were flagged by Subaru, from what I've seen, no one with a new VW has tried unmarrying and seeing if flagged TD1. Every example I've seen was used, which means it could have been flagged from previous owner. If you have concrete evidence to the contrary, you're welcome to share.

And the FTC ruling says nothing about oem equivalent. It specifically protects against failures not caused by your aftermarket parts from being denied, i.e. your tune didn't cause the known defective thermostat housing. FTC's ruling carries the force of law, but anytime you mod your car, you create an uphill battle against manufacturers that employ hundreds of lawyers.

There's no debate. The ECU has a flash counter that can't be erased. If a car hasn't been flagged it's because no powertrain warranty covered repairs were attempted. It's flagged by VW when the dealer scans it to get warranty work approved.

cb1111

It's not a mystery how a car becomes flagged, you don't need to try the experiment.
The other thing that isn't a mystery is that a dealership (and the owner of the car) doesn't find out if the car is flagged until they submit a warranty claim. The dealer sends the scan to Germany when submitting the claim and Germany decides :
If the car's ECU has been modified, AND
The modification affects the warranty claim

If both of the above criteria are met, then Germany will deny the claim citing the flag. Modified means that the flash counter doesn't match VW's flash counter.

Also, like tigeo said, the MM Act denies a manufacturer the right to deny a warranty claim based on the mere presence of an aftermarket part.

However, what most people forget, is that aftermarket does not equal performance.

Aftermarket is replacing the original Bosch 35watt bulb with an Osram bulb with the identical specs - performance is swapping that Bosch bulb with the Walmart HyperSuperDuperBlue 85w bulb. If your car blows up and the manufacturer blames it on the Osram bulb, then they need to show that the bulb actually caused (or contributed) to the problem.

If the dealer blames your Walmart bulb, then all they need to do is show is that the bulb didn't meet the proper specs.

cb1111

There's still debate if unmarrying will keep from being flagged. Non of my AP tuned Subarus were flagged by Subaru, from what I've seen, no one with a new VW has tried unmarrying and seeing if flagged TD1. Every example I've seen was used, which means it could have been flagged from previous owner. If you have concrete evidence to the contrary, you're welcome to share.

And the FTC ruling says nothing about oem equivalent. It specifically protects against failures not caused by your aftermarket parts from being denied, i.e. your tune didn't cause the known defective thermostat housing. FTC's ruling carries the force of law, but anytime you mod your car, you create an uphill battle against manufacturers that employ hundreds of lawyers.
I recommend that you flash your car back to normal, force a warranty claim that is related to anything the ECU might control and then go to VW. They'll scan your car and deny the claim.

Then you'll know for sure.

Oh, Subaru ain't VW

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Everyone said the same about Subaru having a flash counter than can't be changed.

I don't need to make a warranty claim, I'll unmarry and have my buddy at the dealer scan to see if it flags.

You guys really are getting as bad as vw Vortex. I know you're all smarter than everyone else in the world and know everything, but there are conflicting accounts on the forums and I'm going to settle the issue once and for all on a car that we know for certain isn't flagged right now.

Take you bad attitude and just don't bother responding to my posts if you aren't interested.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Everyone said the same about Subaru having a flash counter than can't be changed.

I don't need to make a warranty claim, I'll unmarry and have my buddy at the dealer scan to see if it flags.

You guys really are getting as bad as vw Vortex. I know you're all smarter than everyone else in the world and know everything, but there are conflicting accounts on the forums and I'm going to settle the issue once and for all on a car that we know for certain isn't flagged right now.

Take you bad attitude and just don't bother responding to my posts if you aren't interested.

What you are not understanding is that the dealer does not flag your car. Only VW can do that. No need for the attitude. If all you want is people who agree with you go somewhere else. You are asking a question or stating a belief as are we.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What you are not understanding is that the dealer does not flag your car. Only VW can do that. No need for the attitude. If all you want is people who agree with you go somewhere else. You are asking a question or stating a belief as are we.

People have had their cars flagged while taking it for oil changes if the dealer scanned the car and VW flagged them, dealer informed them.

I'm going to have the dealer scan my car and see if VW flags it, and they're going to check to see if it's flagged. How is this hard to understand?

If you aren't interested, seriously, just stop commenting on it. Other people want to know.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If the

People have had their cars flagged while taking it for oil changes dealer scanned the car and VW flagged them, dealer informed them.

I'm going to have the dealer scan my car and see if VW flags it, and they're going to check to see if it's flagged. How is this hard to understand?

If you aren't interested, seriously, just stop commenting on it. Other people want to know.

Several people have agreed with me and so far none have agreed with you. It won't get flagged just because it's scanned. Only if you are trying to get warranty work approved. The dealer has scanned my FBO IS38 several times but not sent the scan to VW so I have not been flagged.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Several people have agreed with me and so far none have agreed with you. It won't get flagged just because it's scanned. Only if you are trying to get warranty work approved. The dealer has scanned my FBO IS38 several times but not sent the scan to VW so I have not been flagged.
Who cares who agrees with you?

Are you tuned with an AP? Are you a dealer tech? Do you work for VW? There's several people in here that didn't unmarry when talking in for oil changes and the dealer can absolutely scan your car and tell if it's flagged. That's what I'm going to do.

Again, I heard the same "internet expert" opinions parroting the same thing when I tuned all 3 of my Subarus with AP's. It's certainly possible VW can tell, but I'm going to prove it one way or the other so no one has to rely on your "expert" opinion.

Seriously, you're all parroting what you all tell each other. Jerk each other off somewhere else. Your just posting with no actual evidence.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Who cares who agrees with you?

Are you tuned with an AP? Are you a dealer tech? Do you work for VW? There's several people in here that didn't unmarry when talking in for oil changes and the dealer can absolutely scan your car and tell if it's flagged. That's what I'm going to do.

Again, I heard the same "internet expert" opinions parroting the same thing when I tuned all 3 of my Subarus with AP's. It's certainly possible VW can tell, but I'm going to prove it one way or the other so no one has to rely on your "expert" opinion.

Seriously, you're all parroting what you all tell each other. Jerk each other off somewhere else. Your just posting with no actual evidence.

Nice comment. It's obvious who the jerk is! When you find out we're correct we'll see if your man enough to admit it. And why hasn't my car been flagged? It's been flashed at least ten times. AP. The evidence is what I posted about the dealer scanning my car multiple times and I haven't been flagged. What more evidence do you want? I hope you're correct and get flagged and then need warranty work shortly after.

cb1111

You just don't want to get it, do you? Your "buddy" can't tell if the car is flagged until a warranty claim is submitted.

cb1111

Nice comment. It's obvious who the jerk is! When you find out we're correct we'll see if your man enough to admit it. And why hasn't my car been flagged? It's been flashed at least ten times. AP. The evidence is what I posted about the dealer scanning my car multiple times and I haven't been flagged. What more evidence do you want? I hope you're correct and get flagged and then need warranty work shortly after.
The problem is that we cannot trust what he tells us from here on out. If his buddy submits a warranty claim after a scan and his car is flagged, there is no way in hell that he'll admit it here.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The problem is that we cannot trust what he tells us from here on out. If his buddy submits a warranty claim after a scan and his car is flagged, there is no way in hell that he'll admit it here.

Lol, making up childish conspiracy theories. I'm simply curious if an unmarried AP will flag, and yes, the service department can see if your car is flagged. I track and beat the piss out of my car. About the only engine warranty work I'd expect is the known defective thermostat housing to be replaced. I can afford to repair or write off my car or I wouldn't track it.

You two are quite the pair. I'm trying to finally answer the question one way or another and you two want to be dicks about it.

If you already know everything, AGAIN, don't read or reply to my posts. You're just trolling at this point and adding nothing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Lol, making up childish conspiracy theories. I'm simply curious if an unmarried AP will flag, and yes, the service department can see if your car is flagged. I track and beat the piss out of my car. About the only engine warranty work I'd expect is the known defective thermostat housing to be replaced. I can afford to repair or write off my car or I wouldn't track it.

You two are quite the pair. I'm trying to finally answer the question one way or another and you two want to be dicks about it.

If you already know everything, AGAIN, don't read or reply to my posts. You're just trolling at this point and adding nothing.

? You are a really funny guy.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
? You are a really funny guy.

You can't stop reply to something that doesn't even affect you. Just stop. This forum isn't about you.