GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
On my commute to work Today all my steering wheel controls stopped working on my 3 week old 850 mile on the odo GTI S?? I was pissed and called the dealer and made an appt for mon first appt. every steering wheel button except the Horn was dead. I even pulled over, and shut the car off and restarted it and still no go for the whole drive in.

I get done my 8 hrs OT at work and lo and behold they are now working? WTF?

Can this issue been seen with a scan from the dealer, is it worth me going in on Monday to get it checked?

I'd still get it checked. It's possible the steering wheel controls temporarily lost communication with the CAN bus, and I believe that would throw a code. I don't know if they'd replace the module based on just a code, but I'd still have them do the scan... unless the dealer is inconveniently far from where you are, in which case I'd wait until it happens again.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info.

mbonness

Could I detect the TD1 flag using an OBD reader? I ask because I’m shopping used and would like to know if a vehicle’s been modded.

(Sorry if the answer is obvious for most of you; I didn’t see this discussed.)

CFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if I missed this but what would a downpipe be under? Is that TD1? Im asking becuase it seems the TD1 is only ECM related.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I don’t think running a down pipe without a tune is recommended, if anyone can chime in please do. Also, I can’t see how just a down pipe would void the warranty on anything other then the turbo. Again, wisdom is welcome here.

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Downpipe increases flow, which increases power.

It won't automatically td1 on a scan, but the techs can manually td1 the car for visible mods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
That’s a load of horse shit. Pretty soon they will tag your car with TD1 for having aftermarket wheels and tires....

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So can we run a APR DP on a stock R without a tune? I believe APR is one of the companies that claims no CEL with their DP but I’ve read mixed opinions on running the car with just a DP without a tune. Some say it can be done while others say it cannot.

cb1111

Downpipe increases flow, which increases power.

It won't automatically td1 on a scan, but the techs can manually td1 the car for visible mods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No, a TD1 is specifically a flag placed by the computer in Germany for ECU mods. A tech can manually report mods but that will not result in a TD1.

Rickster1

I believe that dealers have wide flexibility in judging that a mod caused a problem, even if it doesn't involve a flash. The service tech at a Jersey dealer told me that they could deny a warrantee claim on an electrical problem if they decided my aftermarket speakers may have caused it.

cb1111

I believe that dealers have wide flexibility in judging that a mod caused a problem, even if it doesn't involve a flash. The service tech at a Jersey dealer told me that they could deny a warrantee claim on an electrical problem if they decided my aftermarket speakers may have caused it.
Yes, a dealership (as a representative of the manufacturer) may deny warranty service if they believe that a mod caused (or substantially contributed to) the failure.

That is separate and distinct from the TD1 flag, which is placed into the system for a flashed ECU when your car is scanned.

A dealership may also indicate that a car has significant mods and that may end up as a flag (but not a TD1 flag). For example, if a dealership notes a piggyback tune, then that may be annotated and will follow the car even after that mod is removed.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Not mk7 related, a more general insurance question.

Wife damaged bumper on her car backing out of our garage. According to insurance, this counts as an accident. Is this something that will give them reason to raise the premium? Should i repair on my own?

I have no experience dealing with insurance, advice is appreciated.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
That would be a question for your insurance company, not here.