GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It may have been broken during PDI.

If you have the instructions for installing the lights, then I'd open a case with VWoA. If you had no reason to go to the fusebox and the only people servicing the car to date have been the dealer then there is no legit reason for denying the claim.

Three years after the dealer swapped LED's into my Acura interior, the fuse for the cigarette lighter would blow frequently.

The dealer said it was because the LEDs draw more power (huh?). A quick call to Acura got that resolved. Turned out it was a defective lighter socket.
This happened a while ago and it was a verbal denial of warranty repair, didn't get it on paper. I should have had then write it down but I didn't care enough at the time

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If your car gets flagged for a TD1 or if the dealership makes note of any aftermarket parts you installed, is the dealership required to inform you of their findings?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If your car gets flagged for a TD1 or if the dealership makes note of any aftermarket parts you installed, is the dealership required to inform you of their findings?

I dont think the dealer will, unless otherwise its asked.

nkapinos

Thanks, this was helpful. It would be good to know how exactly the TD1 is activated, and if there are ways for tuners to hack it:

- is td1 activated when hash of code does not match expected? For example stock-like flash will have different hash from actual vw flash.
- is td1 like the 'efuse' on console gaming systems, when you upgrade it blows a fuse and wont allow downgrade to exploit possible hack for unlocking
- do tuners even have the actual stock flash, that matches the hash from VW

adam1991

Banned
Doesn't matter, and can't be hacked. It's not a hash code. It's not an efuse. And it doesn't matter what parameter maps third parties have or use. TD1 isn't in your ECU; it's a status tied to your VIN in VW's computers.

The status is triggered by a discrepancy between how many times VW knows they've flashed the ECU, and how many times the ECU reports it's been flashed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/4bd4do/vw_modification_101_part_1_warranty_td1_code/

Note that this is not under the control of any given tech or dealership, or even anyone at VW.

nkapinos

Thanks. No one has been able to explain how the flash counter works. If td1 is a flag raised when count flashes on ECU does not equal count flashes in VW database:
- how does Eurodyne counter reset help? Resetting to zero will be incorrect, need to read original values , count and date of last flash, then reset to these after flash
- can VCDS read / reset counter and date ?
- are there other params that trigger td1 besides count and date?

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
How does one go about finding out what turbo revision is on their car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
How does one go about finding out what turbo revision is on their car?

Look at the # on the turbo

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I just passed 60000km not long ago, and my left rear caliper has already seized... pretty sad that it failed so soon. This continues the trend, as old mk4 had the rear calipers seize as well. Other then that my infotainment unit freezes randomly and everything stops working... The dealer won't fix it under warranty until they can duplicate the problem, and VW canada said the same thing which is really disappointing as I have it all on video of it not working. If it was any Japanese brand, I would've had a new radio by now.

GTI/TDI

Passed Driver's Ed
On my commute to work Today all my steering wheel controls stopped working on my 3 week old 850 mile on the odo GTI S?? I was pissed and called the dealer and made an appt for mon first appt. every steering wheel button except the Horn was dead. I even pulled over, and shut the car off and restarted it and still no go for the whole drive in.

I get done my 8 hrs OT at work and lo and behold they are now working? WTF?

Can this issue been seen with a scan from the dealer, is it worth me going in on Monday to get it checked?

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R