GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Thanks DBESTGTI for making this clear as to VW/Audi warranty covers on modified cars.
As they say if your going to play you are going to pay. For your FUN.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
Not the place for this, but fuck the power module. I'm not going to pay $300 for what is essentially a fancy MAP clamp.

I wouldn't even bother with any piggybacks until JB4 is available (if it ever is)

Yea, or you can get the Neuspeed module and sell it when JB4 comes out. Power module is awesome by the way. Got it for $350 on sale... $350 for 35 HP, where do you find value like that??

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
DBESTGTI: I'll be the first to ask as I know it's in all our minds.

You've mentioned "stock mode" and how that IS detectable.

How about tuning companies (APR, Unitronic, REVO, Eurodyne to name a few) saying you can flash back to the OEM file to "prevent/minimize" detection - resetting the flash counter, you get the 100% stock file back...etc.

Enlighten us, please.

They used to claim putting the ECU in stock mode and locking it was undetectable as well, which was absolutely untrue. But IF it truly is a 100% original factory stock program with no traces left behind it will not detect it as there would be nothing to detect. I don't know if in actual practice if it really has no trace left behind so I wont speculate either way.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
They used to claim putting the ECU in stock mode and locking it was undetectable as well, which was absolutely untrue. But IF it truly is a 100% original factory stock program with no traces left behind it will not detect it as there would be nothing to detect. I don't know if in actual practice if it really has no trace left behind so I wont speculate either way.

But to the best of your knowledge, flashing back to stock, thus far has gone undetected right? At least that's what a VW dealer that flashes APR has told me. But when shit hits the fan, can't really hold them accountable...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Great post!

I'm always amazed that some people believe they should be able to modify their car - specifically by tuning - and think; "Screw the manufacture", believing have a right to tune and the manufacturer should not deny their warranty.

Apply this logic to anything else you might buy, from a lawn mower to a TV, to a refrigerator.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Putting it in stock mode and locking the ECM…
Some people have gotten the impression that they can switch their tune “stock” mode and “lock” it and somehow that makes it undetectable… or even stupider, that it’s “locked” that the tune can't be overwritten/flashed back to stock by the dealer. I don’t know how people came up with that or why people think that but I’d wish they would stop saying it. It doesn't matter what mode it’s in or it’s locked it has absolutely ZERO effect on the scan tools ability to detect the tune or the dealerships ability to overwrite your aftermarket software. If your ECM is flashed and locked all that means is someone can’t change the mode without without the password… and literally nothing else.

You answered yourself. Tuning companies claimed it, everyone else believed and dispersed the info.

DAS_STIG

Banned
How do dealerships that actually provide the tunes work? We have a local dealer chain that all flash APR. If they tune your vehicle can they somehow be held accountable if something fails or do you basically have to ask them what their stance is on that topic? They might have had stuff covered by VWoA previously, but sounds like that won't be happening anymore.

tallgeese

Passed Driver's Ed
How do dealerships that actually provide the tunes work? We have a local dealer chain that all flash APR. If they tune your vehicle can they somehow be held accountable if something fails or do you basically have to ask them what their stance is on that topic? They might have had stuff covered by VWoA previously, but sounds like that won't be happening anymore.

I'd call said dealer.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
thanks for all this info! as a first time car owner its really helpful to understand this kind of stuff!

most of the follow up comments have been about tunes, but what about cosmetic mods or intake mods? being new to mods I was considering doing simple mods like wheel spacers and such. How would these types of mods potentially affect warranty?

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
thanks for all this info! as a first time car owner its really helpful to understand this kind of stuff!

most of the follow up comments have been about tunes, but what about cosmetic mods or intake mods? being new to mods I was considering doing simple mods like wheel spacers and such. How would these types of mods potentially affect warranty?

If you install an intake and your turbo fails, they can deny your warranty claims.

If you install springs and your strut fails, they can deny your warranty.

With hard parts, they can only deny the warranty for the part that it directly affects. IE, a suspension mod is not going to void your powertrain warranty

gchen6850

Ready to race!
If you install an intake and your turbo fails, they can deny your warranty claims.

If you install springs and your strut fails, they can deny your warranty.

With hard parts, they can only deny the warranty for the part that it directly affects. IE, a suspension mod is not going to void your powertrain warranty
thanks! what would be some potential failures due to a wheel spacer mod to be wary of? And any way to limit the chance of anything like that happening?

(I've already bought some spacers but am hesitant about installing them, plus I'm also waiting on my dealer to deal with the unfinished paint on my wheels first)

jwilkins88

Ready to race!
thanks! what would be some potential failures due to a wheel spacer mod to be wary of? And any way to limit the chance of anything like that happening?

(I've already bought some spacers but am hesitant about installing them, plus I'm also waiting on my dealer to deal with the unfinished paint on my wheels first)

Lets say that your wheel studs break off, that wouldn't be covered. Honestly, that's pretty remote, and you're probably reasonably safe with anything wheel related.

flygteye

Ready to race!
I'd be happy not to see anymore TD1 debates on any forums anymore. It's so tiring to wade through them. Just remember there is no law that says you have to get your car tuned or to modify it. For the record....I've had my MKV tuned and modified for years and was never denied warranty work or recall work. That's all I have to say.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thank you so much DBEST and welcome to Mk7! I have chatted with you a time or two through the mk6 forum. You looked into that buy-back S5 for me.

Did you get a Mk7 GTI by the way?