GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
I have the BFI catch can for over 25k miles, and never got a drop in it on the street. Thought it was completely $$$ wasted. Once I started hitting the track is the only time I've ever had any accumulation in it -- and it's been less than 1/4 the can capacity over the entire weekend.

Even this last weekend in over 90deg ambient temp the engine lost only minimum oil, less than .5qt I would reckon. I think most of that has gone into the catch can versus being burned-off. FWIW, I've changed the oil so it's been fresh before my track sessions so far.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
So I did an oil change this last week before the weekend's autoX and I think I might have put in a bit too much oil(or if the evac pump method didn't suck enough out). Either way the first session out the car spewed a bunch of smoke after a few run and was running with severely reduced power. Checked the oil level after and it was fine. Pulled a couple of code on the Torque and it was AFR related(makes sense if there are oil in the intake being burned and unaccounted for) Reset the code and ran the afternoon session and it never returned. No code, no smoke.

edge04

Ready to race!
Ran two sessions today. Around 90 degrees out today. Drove an hour on the highway to the track. First session was 25 min qualifying session and then ran a 6 lap 3.5 mile race. On the way home my low oil warning message came on. After checking the oil I am down about a quart. Wish I would have checked it before but I can tell you I've run about 4 other similar sessions and put on 500 miles since last oil change. So I would say that the MK7 does burn oil during hard use, not a lot but it will. So check it often if you are tracking. Will run again today after adding and check.

May add the pan first and see if that helps.

Last edited:

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
^ Do you have any kind of catch can already? I think a new or baffled pan might help if we're seeing any oil starvation issues (like the pickup getting starved), but with this issue of oil actually pooling in the heads then being dumped into the inlet is easiest mitigated with a simple catch can setup that keeps the stock PCV to provide a safe place to dump oil into ...versus the intake.

Then I'd just add some oil after track sessions to bring it back up to full as needed.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
A week ago I did some lapping day sessions at HPR. Stock PCV plate.
With very firm braking to corner entry, the engine oil would overwhelm the PCV system, enter the combustion chambers, and create a huge cloud of smoke.
I could make this happen at will.
I could also pretty much keep it from happening by not braking quite as firmly; which I had to do because I had only so much extra engine oil on hand.

Installed the VWR Oil Catch system and went back out today.
No matter how firmly I braked, there was no smoke.
Very pleased, to say the least.

For the vast majority of drivers, the stock PCV setup works well.
But if you track the car, and brake as firmly for as short of a period of time as you can before turn-in, the VWR kit sure seems to solve the oil surge/consumption problem.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
With very firm braking to corner entry, the engine oil would overwhelm the PCV system, enter the combustion chambers, and create a huge cloud of smoke.
I could also pretty much keep it from happening by not braking quite as firmly; which I had to do because I had only so much extra engine oil on hand.

But if you track the car, and brake as firmly for as short of a period of time as you can before turn-in, the VWR kit sure seems to solve the oil surge/consumption problem.
Thank you for the feedback; glad to hear that it solved your issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Swoope

Ready to race!

what are you running for tires?

beers

teemmy

Ready to race!
^ Do you have any kind of catch can already? I think a new or baffled pan might help if we're seeing any oil starvation issues (like the pickup getting starved), but with this issue of oil actually pooling in the heads then being dumped into the inlet is easiest mitigated with a simple catch can setup that keeps the stock PCV to provide a safe place to dump oil into ...versus the intake.

Then I'd just add some oil after track sessions to bring it back up to full as needed.

I've been wondering this as well - the VWR and IE PCV system replacements are nice, but it seems like you can solve this problem with a simple catch. Any excess flood of oil that the PCV can't handle would just get caught by the catch can right? It doesn't seem like the $500-600 is worth it when you might be able to find a simple catch can for $200-300. Plus, you wouldn't have to regularly check and empty the can as often as you would if you replaced the PCV system. :)

This is just speculation so I could totally be wrong, but I'm just trying to figure out if a PCV replacement is necessary

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I've been wondering this as well - the VWR and IE PCV system replacements are nice, but it seems like you can solve this problem with a simple catch. Any excess flood of oil that the PCV can't handle would just get caught by the catch can right? It doesn't seem like the $500-600 is worth it when you might be able to find a simple catch can for $200-300. Plus, you wouldn't have to regularly check and empty the can as often as you would if you replaced the PCV system. :)

This is just speculation so I could totally be wrong, but I'm just trying to figure out if a PCV replacement is necessary

Good question.

When I had the oil/smoke issue a few weeks ago, I had the stock PCV plate. A lot of oil was consumed; and the huge majority of it was through the intake valves into the combustion chambers. There was some oil spray into the turbo inlet, but not all that much. So, a catch can only wouldn't have kept all that oil from being consumed. The VWR plate/cap configuration not only kept the oil from being sent through the intake valves, it also did not send a significant quantity into the catch tank.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Good question.

When I had the oil/smoke issue a few weeks ago, I had the stock PCV plate. A lot of oil was consumed; and the huge majority of it was through the intake valves into the combustion chambers. There was some oil spray into the turbo inlet, but not all that much. So, a catch can only wouldn't have kept all that oil from being consumed. The VWR plate/cap configuration not only kept the oil from being sent through the intake valves, it also did not send a significant quantity into the catch tank.

Interesting. I have replaced my PCV valve on my Golf R with the latest version part no 06K 103 495 AT. The former one had the number 06K 103 495 AA. I have just tracked the car once after the PCV swap. No big consumption during that visit. It was not a very fast track (no extreme braking) so I really can't tell yet.

My "track friends" says they can't detect any smoke from my car during many different days.

A tread I've posted in the subject:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33373

/Peter

Last edited:

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting. I have replaced my PCV valve on my Golf R with the latest version part no 06K 103 495 AT. The former one had the number 06K 103 495 AA. I have just tracked the car once after the PCV swap. No big consumption during that visit. It was not a very fast track (no extreme braking) so I really can't tell yet.

My "track friends" says they can't detect any smoke from my car during many different days.

A tread I've posted in the subject:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33373

/Peter

My stock plate is part number 06K 103 495 AH. It looks like the current number for the GTI is AP.