GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
OK guys here is the thing. I did a track day, I had a ton of smoke behind me braking from the straight at 145mph+ down to about 35mph, I figured ah my brakes ok fine. Well this was happening every few laps, again I figured brakes, stock pads etc. Well after examining my video's I see it was from my tailpipes, later I find this article http://www.racingline-performance.co...#Oil-Surge-DYK

I see now that there is an oil surge issue with the MK7, the majority of track day guys probably won't experiance this because well lets be honest, no balls! Kidding, kind of but really most people wont be seeing these conditions that I saw. Crazy thing about it is I was on PSS tires, not track tires so it would be even worse with some real nice 100 tread wear tires. For an example of this here is a video of it happening in my car. Start watching at 7:00 and watch me brake from the straight.

So needless to say this catch can is next on my list to see if this solves it, now I really hope I did not cause any damage. I see years back that this was discussed before but I feel this is important enough to bring back from the dead.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
MK6 this is pretty common, but I haven't heard much of it on MK7. What was you oil level before the track session and have you checked after?

Agreed, Mk6 - pretty common. Mk7? Never heard of any issues.
If it's actually an issue, checking oil level would likely reveal it.

Someone tell that Alfa guy how to hold a steering wheel on track.
That said, that blow-off BS is annyoing.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, I did a track day on PSS braking really hard from 220km/h+ and never had this. You sure it doesn't have something to do with an aftermarket part you are using?

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Maoddy was having this issue at the Ring with his Mk.7. It can happen with our platform.

I wouldn't refer to it as oil starvation though...

Oil floods the pcv system and oil makes it in to the combustion chamber.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

edge04

Ready to race!
sorry to highjack. I am starting to track my MK7, haven't hit it hard yet and want to cover as much as possible before. Do any of you run extra oil when tracking? I would always run 1/2qt extra in my other cars?

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
VAG*Tech this is why I run CTS and on the FB group people are like it doesn't matter. Well yes and no. Depends on how you drive and how much G your car is pulling. The baffle helps keeping the engine from flooding the pcv(which is no longer installed up top due to CTS/VWR/IE/Spulen design) and the turbo easily siphons your oil spinning at 180,000rpm. LOL The only complaint I have is I need to empty out the can every week since it's so small.

I've contemplated go back to stock PCV with the BFI, APR, or similar catch can baffle system will catch and filter it out. Double baffle essentially for both daily and track I would bet.

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
Do the other catch can designs eliminate this? It only happens to be under High G braking but I can repeat it regularly, I went through 3/4 a qt. of oil at the track day. Maybe it is not starvation but that much oil running through the turbo can not be a good thing.

JcarrollWS6

Ready to race!
Really drive my car hard on the track. Plenty of 125-135 mph braking, continuous radius turns, etc. never had this issue and I never burn oil either. I might loose 200ml over 3000 miles. I have not watched the video yet but I will when I get some better 'net

Note: change your PCV valve and see if this recurs. There is a revised part # for the PCV valve. Newest revision: 06K103495AP I believe. There was at least one revision in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Wouldn't this be better resolved by an oil pan with a baffle built in?
(Basically address the issue at the source)

That is generally the solution when you've got pickup issues at the track. I know Wortec makes a replacement oil pan with a baffle around the pickup, as well as increasing capacity to 7 liters. (7.4 qts)

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/wortec-cast-oil-pan-wr06lp

edge04

Ready to race!
not sure if it will resolve the problem being discussed but the fact that its alloy vs plastic is nice in itself

Wouldn't this be better resolved by an oil pan with a baffle built in?
(Basically address the issue at the source)

That is generally the solution when you've got pickup issues at the track. I know Wortec makes a replacement oil pan with a baffle around the pickup, as well as increasing capacity to 7 liters. (7.4 qts)

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/wortec-cast-oil-pan-wr06lp

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I seen smoke out my tail pipe once or twice. My engine does burn oil. I'm maybe down 3/4 of a quart through my intervals. The smoke happened on Mobil 1 when I used it the first time.. I dumped it out and switched back to my usual motul.