GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Going to order S3 PCV after seeing your experience. I just got back from a track day and had my first case of oil surge/white smoke. Didn't think it would happen as I am on 280tw Yokohamas but after a few high g turns it through a big cloud of smoke behind me. Got in on GoPro and uploading the vid now. Scary stuff.

I had a '16 GTI prior the current ride. At the time (about 3 year ago), I had the stock PCV plate and the Wortec oil pan (do not get this pan).
Got the black flag after a couple of laps. Pulled into the pit, and the guy asked me to open the hood. I'm a bit OBC about keeping the engine bay clean.
He was stunned to see a clean bay, lol. By then, I'd become aware of the issue, and had tried the VWR system. At the time, the VWR design led to a leaking cap on the plate; annoying. I re-tried the stock PCV combined with the Wortec pan, and holy crap. Smokefest. Re-installed the VWR system, using gasket sealer around the cap. Solved the cap leak, and the smoke issue. However, with the VWR setup, I'd still get a fair amount of fluid in the can.

When I picked up the S3, I happened to also come across the DBV2 thread in MK7 forums. The DBV2 guy, Dan, had an S3 with his DBV2; and he said the 'BL' plate solved the issue for him. Rather than install the VWR kit, I tried the BL plate and the ECS catch can kit.
Dan referred to the PCV as the B9 A4/A5 plate. I'm pretty sure it's not the stock R/S3 plate.

Awesome, that'll be my next purchase. Thanks for the R&D.

Best on the pan! Looking forward to how it works for you.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I had a '16 GTI prior the current ride. At the time (about 3 year ago), I had the stock PCV plate and the Wortec oil pan (do not get this pan).
Got the black flag after a couple of laps. Pulled into the pit, and the guy asked me to open the hood. I'm a bit OBC about keeping the engine bay clean.
He was stunned to see a clean bay, lol. By then, I'd become aware of the issue, and had tried the VWR system. At the time, the VWR design led to a leaking cap on the plate; annoying. I re-tried the stock PCV combined with the Wortec pan, and holy crap. Smokefest. Re-installed the VWR system, using gasket sealer around the cap. Solved the cap leak, and the smoke issue. However, with the VWR setup, I'd still get a fair amount of fluid in the can.

When I picked up the S3, I happened to also come across the DBV2 thread in MK7 forums. The DBV2 guy, Dan, had an S3 with his DBV2; and he said the 'BL' plate solved the issue for him. Rather than install the VWR kit, I tried the BL plate and the ECS catch can kit.
Dan referred to the PCV as the B9 A4/A5 plate. I'm pretty sure it's not the stock R/S3 plate.

Best on the pan! Looking forward to how it works for you.

Ah, I didn't know it was originally a A4/A5 part, it's now the current revision for the S3 and R now though.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Did a few lapping sessions yesterday at HPR. Ambient temps in the 80's. Plenty of aggressive braking and corner entry/exit.
This is my third lapping day with the trio: B9 A4/A5 PCV plate (Part # 06K103495BL), ECS catch can, iABED baffled aluminum oil pan....

With the increased capacity of the iABED pan have you seen a slight decrease in oil temps by chance? Also, seeing that you are in Denver as well how have your coolant and oil temps been looking on your sessions? I know with the altitude our cooling challenges are magnified, so curious on that front.
I have a '16 Golf R that I've been wanting to get out to High Plains for over a year now, but have lagged on so many planned upgrades (RS3 brake ducts, Superpro RSB/LCAs/Camber plates/DS2500s) that I have wanted to complete before I head out there. I have a ton of HPDE experience from days in NorCal but that was in a properly sorted BMW M coupe, so will be my first go tracking AWD if I ever make it out there!
I do have the revised Racingline CC sitting in garage as well, but I'm hesitant to install due to the winter hassle with that set up. Now thinking I may try the BL PCV first and see how it goes. Intrigued by the iABED pan as well...especially if you are seeing some reduced oil temps with bigger capacity.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
My main reason for trying the iABED pan was for the baffling. Trying to keep as much oil in the engine as possible. For me, it was worth it for that alone; it made a difference. It now takes just under 8 quarts of oil to get to top of range on the dipstick.

Regarding oil temps; at the track it stays under 250 degrees F longer than with the stock pan. But, if I push hard enough and long enough during the session, oil temps will move into the 260 to 265 range when ambient temps are 85 or so. I would get the pan for the baffling, but I would not buy it for cooler temps. I plan to try the CSF auxiliary radiator on both sides. I recently read a post from an MK7 R owner across the pond who reported a max oil temp of 248 degrees F (120 C) on hot days. He had just the auxiliary pair, still with the stock radiator. (wish I could find the post again; will post it if I do).

Regarding coolant temps; the good news is I've not had any warning lights so far, and no limp mode for engine or tranny. The S3 does not come with a coolant temp gauge; which sucks. But, so far, no issues. The hottest weather I've tracked in with this car is 90 degrees F; but at those temps, I don't run a full 30 minute session. More like 18 minutes or so.

I have 034 camber mounts, Neuspeed RS3 springs, downpipe, intake path, and the UM trio of files; so basically a 'stage 2' setup.

I hope you make out to HPR. It's a fun road course, with elevation changes, and plenty of challenging turns. My HPDE experience was a bunch of BMW events in my E46 M3; I'm grateful for the instruction and experience.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Thanks much for the thorough response! Sounds like I should have the iABED pan on the list to upgrade to.I definitely have sights on the CSF radiator as well should I continue with this platform. I do have a hard time not looking at classifieds at M2s.(definitely miss a manual & RWD)
For now I just need to focus on getting all the stuff I outlined in previous post sitting in garage installed or at a bare minimum the RS3 ducts/DS2500s & RBF600 fluid/RSB/upgraded PCV for at least the 1st event.
I do have a EQT Vortex turbo on mine and working through an ethanol E30 tune now. It has a shitton of power with this set-up, which is great but may not be ticket for 20-30min sessions. I'm looking into EQT doing a more conservative boost HPDE/track tune that will be more inline with what you are seeing with Stage 2 UM #'s to mitigate heat of running that much boost & power with the tune we are working through now.
Anyway, appreciate it again and hope to see you out there as well.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Just finished first track day with the BL plate. No smoke issues or oil consumption issues to speak of. This was Laguna Seca so lots of uphill, downhill, positive and even negative G. Nice and cool day though so oil temps never topped 260 which I think helped. Last time I had smoke issues temps were 265+

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Just finished first track day with the BL plate. No smoke issues or oil consumption issues to speak of. This was Laguna Seca so lots of uphill, downhill, positive and even negative G. Nice and cool day though so oil temps never topped 260 which I think helped. Last time I had smoke issues temps were 265+

So just to confirm... you originally had the BM or equivalent PCV style that has the big vertical baffle at the front and had smoking issues. Replaced it the BL and all is well now?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So just to confirm... you originally had the BM or equivalent PCV style that has the big vertical baffle at the front and had smoking issues. Replaced it the BL and all is well now?

I'm having the same luck with the BL. I had smoke with BM, haven't had it yet with BL.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I'm having the same luck with the BL. I had smoke with BM, haven't had it yet with BL.

Thanks, like many things on the interwebs, you always come across contradictory things, just looking for as many first hand experiences as I can. I have a 2017 S3, which is supposed to have the 'updated' PCV, but looking at my part numbers, it's same style as the BM, just an older PN.

It's interesting that the BL line appears to be the stock part for the 1.8s and other less "performance" oriented models...but hey if it works, it works.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks, like many things on the interwebs, you always come across contradictory things, just looking for as many first hand experiences as I can. I have a 2017 S3, which is supposed to have the 'updated' PCV, but looking at my part numbers, it's same style as the BM, just an older PN.

It's interesting that the BL line appears to be the stock part for the 1.8s and other less "performance" oriented models...but hey if it works, it works.

I only know of one person so far that BL didn't help with smoking, but that person didn't track and had smoke under hard acceleration, so I doubt it was the same issue.

I'm still going to do a baffled oil pan, CC, and oil cooler, but this has stopped the smoke for now.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition

Nice! I know Laguna well. 90% of my track days when I lived in NorCal was there and Thunderhill.
That's great to hear just running the BL PCV with no smoking issues.
Curiously, are you running r-comps and dedicated track pads on your car?

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Nice! I know Laguna well. 90% of my track days when I lived in NorCal was there and Thunderhill.
That's great to hear just running the BL PCV with no smoking issues.
Curiously, are you running r-comps and dedicated track pads on your car?
No, currently 280tw 235/40/18 Yokohama’s and Ferodo DS2500s. Lap times between 1:50-1:53 for reference.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
My main reason for trying the iABED pan was for the baffling.....I would get the pan for the baffling, but I would not buy it for cooler temps. I plan to try the CSF auxiliary radiator on both sides....

reviving old thread here to check if you ever added the CSF auxillary radiators to your S3 and what the results were?

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3
I have a S3 with all 3 CSF radiators and also the iABED oil pan and I can say that living in NYC, I've been having issues with getting the car up to operating temps especially the few days that is was really cold here. Lately with the weather being warmer, I can get the car up to operating temp but I really have to get on it to get it up there. The iABED oil pan was installed in January of this year and I also switched to Redline oil where I was previously was using Liqui Moly, so I'm not sure if that is also what is helping with the lower oil temps. The CSF radiators were installed in September of 2020 and before the iABED oil pan, I did not have any trouble with getting the oil upto operating temps. But the oil did having some mileage on it.