GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2016 audi s3 with re71 which is experiencing the same issue. I have a ecs catch can which is after the factory pcv, it still manage to catch two full can in one track day but I an still see white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Maybe the baffled oil pan is the only solution

I have the ECS catch can kit, but also have the B9 A4/A5 PCV plate (the 'BL' part number).
With this combo, maybe 1/8 of the can after the lapping day; and no white smoke.

With the above combo, plus the iABED aluminum baffled oil pan, nothing in the can (no moisture reading on the dip stick); and no white smoke after a lapping day.

'16 S3 here, and my last two lapping days were also with RE-71R tires.
I'm running the UM ECU, DSG, and Haldex files.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have the ECS catch can kit, but also have the B9 A4/A5 PCV plate (the 'BL' part number).
With this combo, maybe 1/8 of the can after the lapping day; and no white smoke.

With the above combo, plus the iABED aluminum baffled oil pan, nothing in the can (no moisture reading on the dip stick); and no white smoke after a lapping day.

'16 S3 here, and my last two lapping days were also with RE-71R tires.
I'm running the UM ECU, DSG, and Haldex files.

So the oil pan helped reduce oil getting into the catch can? I have the BL pcv and I might just skip the cc and go straight to the baffled pan.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
So the oil pan helped reduce oil getting into the catch can? I have the BL pcv and I might just skip the cc and go straight to the baffled pan.

It did help reduce the oil into cc. With the stock pan, four fairly aggressive sessions in 85 to 90 degree ambient temps; about 1/8 of the can had fluid.
Next time out with the iABED pan, same number of sessions and temps, I did not see anything on the can dipstick.
Hoping to get out tomorrow; so I'll update with what I find.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It did help reduce the oil into cc. With the stock pan, four fairly aggressive sessions in 85 to 90 degree ambient temps; about 1/8 of the can had fluid.
Next time out with the iABED pan, same number of sessions and temps, I did not see anything on the can dipstick.
Hoping to get out tomorrow; so I'll update with what I find.

If you don't see anything, I'm going to skip the CC and do oil pan. Thanks for the real world testing. It's greatly appreciated.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
If you don't see anything, I'm going to skip the CC and do oil pan. Thanks for the real world testing. It's greatly appreciated.

I registered for the AM lapping day sessions tomorrow; I'll see if I get the same result I did last time.
The iABED baffled aluminum pan holds more engine oil than the stock piece.
With stock, I'd use 6.2 quarts to fill to top-of-safe area on the dipstick. With iABED, I'm using 7.8 quarts to get the same result.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m interested in the IABED oil pan more for oil surge and potential oil pressure issues with my plans to go to take off slicks. The additional oil volume is great benefit.

What I don’t understand is how the Baffled oil pan can effect/impact the engines breather system. The oil pan is not connected to the PCV system in any way.
I’m not getting excessive oil in my VWR catch can. But have also been running stock power until I went to the low torque APR on the last day of my DE. The CC was one of my first track mods.

Im curious whether I will see more accumulation in my CC with my tune.
Quebster wanted to route the CC drain back into the oil pan so that he didn’t run low on oil.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I’m interested in the IABED oil pan more for oil surge and potential oil pressure issues with my plans to go to take off slicks. The additional oil volume is great benefit.

What I don’t understand is how the Baffled oil pan can effect/impact the engines breather system. The oil pan is not connected to the PCV system in any way.
I’m not getting excessive oil in my VWR catch can. But have also been running stock power until I went to the low torque APR on the last day of my DE. The CC was one of my first track mods.

Im curious whether I will see more accumulation in my CC with my tune.
Quebster wanted to route the CC drain back into the oil pan so that he didn’t run low on oil.
It sounds like a good option. As for the blowby concern, on stock power im not surprised you're not getting too much in the catchcan. When you increase power you're also increasing combustion pressure so i would certainly expect to see more oil in the catchcan. My can fills up a little more than normal because I have more loose ring end gaps than stock on the built engine to compensate for running 34 psi.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
FWIW, I believe EQT used to sell a baffled oil pan but stopped producing it as they didn’t see any real-world benefits from it in their track testing. Might be misremembering. @Ed @ EQT can you comment on effectiveness of baffled oil pan?

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Did a few lapping sessions yesterday at HPR. Ambient temps in the 80's. Plenty of aggressive braking and corner entry/exit.
This is my third lapping day with the trio: B9 A4/A5 PCV plate (Part # 06K103495BL), ECS catch can, iABED baffled aluminum oil pan.
Running the equivalent of a stage 2 setup; with the UM files.

No smoke. No fluid on the catch can dipstick. No discernable loss of oil on the engine oil dipstick. EA888 v3 problem solved; at least for me.
The stock oil pan has a baffle insert. But, the iABED pan's built-in baffles seem to do a better job of keeping oil from going where it shouldn't.

With just the 'BL' plate and catch can; no smoke, though I would get 1/8 to 1/4 of the can with fluid after the day.
Still pretty good; but the iABED pan made it even better.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Going to order S3 PCV after seeing your experience. I just got back from a track day and had my first case of oil surge/white smoke. Didn't think it would happen as I am on 280tw Yokohamas but after a few high g turns it threw a big cloud of smoke behind me. Got in on GoPro and uploading the vid now. Scary stuff.

Edit: i can't spell and vid three posts down

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Did a few lapping sessions yesterday at HPR. Ambient temps in the 80's. Plenty of aggressive braking and corner entry/exit.
This is my third lapping day with the trio: B9 A4/A5 PCV plate (Part # 06K103495BL), ECS catch can, iABED baffled aluminum oil pan.
Running the equivalent of a stage 2 setup; with the UM files.

No smoke. No fluid on the catch can dipstick. No discernable loss of oil on the engine oil dipstick. EA888 v3 problem solved; at least for me.
The stock oil pan has a baffle insert. But, the iABED pan's built-in baffles seem to do a better job of keeping oil from going where it shouldn't.

With just the 'BL' plate and catch can; no smoke, though I would get 1/8 to 1/4 of the can with fluid after the day.
Still pretty good; but the iABED pan made it even better.

Awesome, that'll be my next purchase. Thanks for the R&D.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Going to order S3 PCV after seeing your experience. I just got back from a track day and had my first case of oil surge/white smoke. Didn't think it would happen as I am on 280tw Yokohamas but after a few high g turns it through a big cloud of smoke behind me. Got in on GoPro and uploading the vid now. Scary stuff.

I've got the BL and will be running at a small track near me called FIRM next weekend. Last time I was there, big cloud of smoke, then sputering and CEL for another half a lap. I'll be happy if the BL prevents that again.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Keep us all posted. VWR CC design prevents the use of the stock PCV. I like the idea of a stock PCV preventing the oil breather issues and dumping oil into the turbo inlet.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Here's the clip. Its a little hard to see but look in my left mirror at ~50s in. Ordering BL plate today and running Laguna Seca in a month so hopefully that will resolve it.