GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wanting to go with a catback Exhaust for my TSI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey,
Was wanting to know any tips or advice in terms of going with a cat-back for my tsi.
If it's just sound you're after consider just changing the muffler. I don't know if anyone makes a catback for the TSI. There's very little power to be gained by a catback and you can get the same power with just the muffler change and save money.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
AWE makes a catback for the golf, and I think there are a few others out there. Honestly though, taking it to a custom shop for a full catback is what I did, and it's much cheaper. This applies for NA, but idk what the differences are in Australia.

nimbus_.

Car(s)
2015 Mk7 Golf TSI
If it's just sound you're after consider just changing the muffler. I don't know if anyone makes a catback for the TSI. There's very little power to be gained by a catback and you can get the same power with just the muffler change and save money.
Yea I might just go down that way as it is cheaper. Thanks

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
You can always find a muffler you like and have the rest fabricated also, similar to what Melted is suggesting. I plan to get a Remus GTI suitcase muffler since I love the sound and don't want the quad tips or valving of the R muffler and then I will cobble the rest together.

Scanner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI 1.8
If you want a mild increase in sound/tone and also a GTI look, try finding a good used GTI catback and a dual-exhaust rear valance.
Here in Ontario, a used 2018 GTI catback is around $250 and a new rear valance (plug & play, no adaptations) around $180. You may need an adapter (2.25-2.5"), which is less than $50. The total will be less than half of the price of an AWE catback. Do not expect any changes in performance.
See my pictures attached.

Attachments

• 20201002_102759.jpg
    20201002_102759.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210514_090548_HDR.jpg
    20210514_090548_HDR.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 100

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
If you want a mild increase in sound/tone and also a GTI look, try finding a good used GTI catback and a dual-exhaust rear valance.
Here in Ontario, a used 2018 GTI catback is around $250 and a new rear valance (plug & play, no adaptations) around $180. You may need an adapter (2.25-2.5"), which is less than $50. The total will be less than half of the price of an AWE catback. Do not expect any changes in performance.
See my pictures attached.
Is that all one piece from the resonator to the muffler? I've been wanting to change out my muffler as well but not get any droning, this seems like the only viable option

Scanner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI 1.8

Scanner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf TSI 1.8
Is that all one piece from the resonator to the muffler? I've been wanting to change out my muffler as well but not get any droning, this seems like the only viable option
Yes, one piece, no cuts or welding. Just an adapter and the clampers.