GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Want to learn more...

edrex

Ready to race!
Hi all,
I understand the basics of how engines work, but when it comes to ECU's I'm lost. My GTI is stage 1 and I'd like to learn more about reading logs and understanding what's going on. So far googling has resulted in either too basic or way too technical results, but nothing in the middle that helps.
An example of something I'd like to learn is timing... my Cobb AP read -25/+35 on a recent drive but I have no idea what those mean or what is normal.

Anybody have any links or books that might point me in the right direction?

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI

edrex

Ready to race!
Thanks, I'll check those links out in the morning.

For the -25/+35 numbers, those were the high and low numbers on the Ignition Timing Average gauge. Degrees, I guess? Honestly not sure, that's why I'm asking here.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
My suggestion is reading the Cobb links that cover what all the logging parameters actually are and how they work together.

After that, go out and log in different driving conditions so you can compare what the car is doing while cruising vs full throttle for example.

The links I provided are what cobb provides as entry level tuning guide, so it should be plenty along with the various logs you can gather yourself.

Tjbell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE DSG
I too am interested in this topic. following