GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walbro or Brushless?

WagenWizard

Ready to race!
The pm4 is the easiest part of the install. You could do it yourself on the stock pump before you even take the car into the shop.
Watched a few install videos. So it is basically running some wires to the battery, crimping some wires, fuses and connecting everything to the pump. Does not look too bad, maybe I could take a shot at it.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Watched a few install videos. So it is basically running some wires to the battery, crimping some wires, fuses and connecting everything to the pump. Does not look too bad, maybe I could take a shot at it.
Do it. Only way to learn is to do it, it's not hard and if you run into ossue I or we can help you

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Does anyone have a link of how to work on the bucket? I swapped a few pumps into GM cars and it was pretty straight forward. I was planning on doing this for the car with an MPI or just as a little extra backup for when I do the Vortex but all this talk about how difficult the install is, is making me think twice about it. I mean, GM I just open the bucket, take the OEM pump out and replace with a Walbro or DW. The DW200 was enough for 500/550 whp/wtq on my 04 GTO.

My guess is that the RS3 pump would be just like that? Open the bucket and swap pumps? Or what else is needed for it to work? I found IM video, so I will be watching that one now. E-acca has the RS3 pump for $352

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Does anyone have a link of how to work on the bucket? I swapped a few pumps into GM cars and it was pretty straight forward. I was planning on doing this for the car with an MPI or just as a little extra backup for when I do the Vortex but all this talk about how difficult the install is, is making me think twice about it. I mean, GM I just open the bucket, take the OEM pump out and replace with a Walbro or DW. The DW200 was enough for 500/550 whp/wtq on my 04 GTO.

My guess is that the RS3 pump would be just like that? Open the bucket and swap pumps? Or what else is needed for it to work? I found IM video, so I will be watching that one now. E-acca has the RS3 pump for $352
It's not that simple.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/rs3-brushless-lpfp-retrofit.395010/

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah takes some work (like a level 5 model car kit skill level ,lol) but it’s not a hard job.

the reality is…. A good majority of mark7 owners have a hard time even gapping a spark plug properly, so all projects get perpetuated in threads around the forums as “being so difficult” 😂. Imagine the drama of rebuilding a quadrajet carb or setting the timing with a distributor! Hell I bet even using the manual choke on startup would get categorized as engine swap.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Rs3 pump isn't too hard for fwd. It's a few connectors, the harness or a copy of it, the pump and the controller. You'll need to tune for it though. Hardest part is sourcing the center plug. Though that may change to be Not needed..

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Yeah takes some work (like a level 5 model car kit skill level ,lol) but it’s not a hard job.

the reality is…. A good majority of mark7 owners have a hard time even gapping a spark plug properly, so all projects get perpetuated in threads around the forums as “being so difficult” 😂. Imagine the drama of rebuilding a quadrajet carb or setting the timing with a distributor! Hell I bet even using the manual choke on startup would get categorized as engine swap.
This made me laugh this morning, most people have probably never seen a q-jet, or know that Timing was ever set via distributer or or ever seen a distributor or know what one is, adjusting the points with a dwell meter. Motor tech has spoiled us lol

scrllock

Autocross Champion

tbh the rs3 setup is easier than a DIY walbro, since you don't need to modify the bucket or swap the pump. extremely simple on the GTI since you just block-off the venturi return on the pump and don't need to worry about the driver-side float.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
tbh the rs3 setup is easier than a DIY walbro, since you don't need to modify the bucket or swap the pump. extremely simple on the GTI since you just block-off the venturi return on the pump and don't need to worry about the driver-side float.
I meant not as simple as the swap for the GM cars. All I had to do was open the bucket get the OEM pump out, swap the filter onto the DW pump and mount it in the OEM location. That DW65c was enough for 500/550 to the wheels on an LS1 with a PTE7475 ~ 8lbs.

IMAG0408.jpg