GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW's emission scandal over the TDI engines

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Hi all, just thought I'd make a topic on this issue as it affects people in the US and may affect us across the pond in Europe/UK too in the near future.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswa...ons-test-scandal-spreads-to-europe-1442844206

Basically the diesels are tuned to emit significantly less emission when the car detects it is being tested, so then when they're not being tested they pollute 30-40 times more, and of course perform better for the driver as a result.

At the moment there is no word about whether it affects UK/Europe models, but I'd sure like to know!

Does anyone know what would be the deal with this? Is it optional for us to take the vehicles in for the recall? I'd be pissed if it makes my car slower.

Any info would be great. Cheers!

s7wag

Ready to race!
yup EA288 engine diesels all OK...and to be honest the VW Execs were complete idiots if they thought this was never going to be discovered and is now going to cost $Bs and possible jail sentences! Wouldn't you ask yourself that question in the board meeting...1. could I lose my job over this and 2. could I go to jail? No brainer...and the fines are now going to probably cost a damn site more than if they'd got the engine running at lower emissions in the first place...incredible!

If I had one of those affected cars I don't think I'd be too bothered TBH....on the scheme of things it's not a life and death car crash modification for those affected - the car will still run the same regardless and I'm sure most people are going to say "leave my car alone" when it comes to it...

Last edited:

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
yup EA288 engine diesels all OK...and to be honest the VW Execs were complete idiots if they thought this was never going to be discovered and is now going to cost $Bs and possible jail sentences! Wouldn't you ask yourself that question in the board meeting...1. could I lose my job over this and 2. could I go to jail? No brainer...and the fines are now going to probably cost a damn site more than if they'd got the engine running at lower emissions in the first place...incredible!

If I had one of those affected cars I don't think I'd be too bothered TBH....on the scheme of things it's not a life and death car crash modification for those affected - the car will still run the same regardless and I'm sure most people are going to say "leave my car alone" when it comes to it...

It's not just US models, EA189 was present in UK MK6 Golf and all sorts of other VAG vehicles.

Easy way to tell if you're running EA189 or EA288 is your HP output from what I can see, 110,140,170 is EA189, 150,184 is EA288.

Last edited:

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
It doesn't affect ea288 engines although the software is present. It only appears to affect ea189 engines which was a US market diesel engine for new cars.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
It doesn't affect ea288 engines although the software is present. It only appears to affect ea189 engines which was a US market diesel engine for new cars.

EA288 replaced EA189, so I think EA189 is not just a US variation, it's UK/Europe too (prior to EA288, so 2009-2012 perhaps).

Ghidora84

11 million vehicles sold worldwide with the affected engine.... But i guess they only had to use it in the US?

TooManyHobbies

Ready to race!
I am PRAYING this will drive down the price of TDI's OR push VW to offer incentives to recoup losses.. I would trade the R for a TDI next year, or maybe swing both.

Bikebits

Ready to race!
VW Canada has removed the EA288 option from the "build-your-car" configurations online. According to CBC, VW has ceased sales of the Mk 7 Golfs with the EA 288.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion

I have to say I doubt that anyone outside the engine teams knew about this particular software choice. The board does not meet to discuss the engine management design. That said, the board should have made it very clear via a top-down directive that their brand was more important than taking risks with safety or ECO legislation.

stokeballoon

Passed Driver's Ed
They say it does not affect EA 288 engines, however it started out as an investigation into real world discrepancies between VW claimed mpg figures, and customers real world mpg figures.

For example- the new GTD claims circa 60 - 67 (uk) mpg depending on cycle. Using real world refuelling figures (ie brim the tank versus miles) I struggle to get 53, and I have tried.

Standby for the investigation to be expanded. VAG are not the only manufacturer in the spotlight. This started years ago with euro truck manufacturers ( Volvo, Scania).

Interesting stuff.

s7wag

Ready to race!
Amazing isn't it how a small investigation/validity check can cause a global organisation to break and some it would potentially bankrupt and put into administration!

...and I guess "WE" the customers are the ones that will pay for it at the end of the day too...

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Badly, for everyone, even those without the effected cars.
Brand damage will be huge.