GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Wanted New Golf R With 5 Cylinder Engine

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Exactly, the higher performance models, the GTS and GT4 are returning to naturally aspirated sixes. So the turbo flat fours should be spread to the rest of the VW empire. I'd assume it wouldn't be that hard to turn one sideways for the Mk8 R+.
I think it would be very hard for them to put a mid engined flat 4 into MQB chassis without significant modification to the frame and body. The chances of them putting it in the mk8 R would be highly highly unlikely IMHO.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think it would be very hard for them to put a mid engined flat 4 into MQB chassis without significant modification to the frame and body. The chances of them putting it in the mk8 R would be highly highly unlikely IMHO.
Oh, I didn't say it would happen, only that it should. As for the motor, it's tiny, and actually gives more room for mounting the transmission as it's obviously only two cylinders long per side. The one obvious problem is that the exhaust comes off the outside of both banks, so you'd either have to run the front side back under the transmission or around the other side, making an already comically large turbo path even longer. Even better, just run it the way it is and skip the front wheels altogether. No more dogbone to mess with and you'd possibly end up with direct shift lever for the manual cars, no more cables or rods. Of course then you'd have a bizarro rwd Golf, and probably seven of us that would buy one.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I'd happily pay $50k to get a Golf RS with the 5 cylinder and a 6MT. It's exactly what I want, a hatchback, manual transmission ~RS3 for ~$15k less than the sedan, automatic RS3.

Thurnis

Ready to race!
I think the 50k Golf RS is what all the enthusiast want. I would settle for a used RS3 sportback after 2 years depreciation. if no one buys the RS6, audi probably wont bring many more rs models over the pond . Maybe they will depreciate fast

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I test drove a 718 with the 4-banger. It was loud and crude (in a bad way). I couldn’t wait to jump back into the GTI that I’d driven to the dealership. I went home wishing they could put the GTI engine in the 718.

Thankfully now you can get a 6-cyl again.

Last edited: