GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Wanted New Golf R With 5 Cylinder Engine

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting article on new Golf R. Apparantly VW wanted to put the 5 cylinder from the Audi RS into the Golf, but Audi said No!

Too bad............That would have been the ultimate Golf R. I would have traded up, in a heartbeat!

Makes sense Audi wants to keep the 5 cylinder for themselves, as the Golf would have been cheaper and faster.

Maybe one day

https://www.motor1.com/news/404973/vw-golf-5-cylinder-denied/amp/

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
This validates the purchase of my current Mk7.5R. If they'd made the Mk8 with the 5 cylinder and a 6MT I'd be pretty pissed off as that's exactly what I want.

Reactions: q74

jits

This validates the purchase of my current Mk7.5R. If they'd made the Mk8 with the 5 cylinder and a 6MT I'd be pretty pissed off as that's exactly what I want.

Feel the same way... as much as I want the 5 cylinder, (the engine sound!), I'm happy with my MK7 Golf R I recently purchased.

Reactions: q74

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Wow. I would have sold a kidney for that car if they made it. MQB chassis, Golf R body, 5 cylinder turbo, and (most importantly) a manual transmission?! Yes please!! Alas it was not to be.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I want the rs3 sportback here in the US so bad. Go big turbo and e85 you’ll be running 9s easy maybe even 8s with some weight reduction and other goodies. Crazy what those little 5 cylinders are capable of. You could literally beat pretty much every car you could think of in a race.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
damn that would be so cool. i think someone was working on swapping it a year or two ago, looked like a dream build.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm really hoping they're working on the 718 motor instead. Surely Porsche needs to spread the cost of that thing, and the R Plus or what not would be perfect. What could be better than a VW with a flat four? In much the same way than what could be worse than a Porsche with a flat four?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
As sweet as a 5 cylinder Golf R might sound (literally!), there's no reason for VW to go that route when the R is selling so well around the world. Would markets go for a Golf costing several thousand dollars more than the already expensive for its segment R? The RS3 at least has those interlocking rings on it which allows for more heady prices. VW's branding is still all about reasonably priced, well built cars. I bought my R because it offered real-world versatility, fine performance, in a well styled (if subdued) package, all for a do-able price. I don't know if I would have actually bought a 5 cylinder "uberR" had I had to pay near 50 large, or even approaching $45K. And that was before the global recession we are now about to head into. I think the only way VW would ever release a 400 HP 5 cylinder R would be on a very limited run halo model using the parts straight off the RS3--maybe 500 world-wide, just to get some press.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I'm really hoping they're working on the 718 motor instead. Surely Porsche needs to spread the cost of that thing, and the R Plus or what not would be perfect. What could be better than a VW with a flat four? In much the same way than what could be worse than a Porsche with a flat four?
Apparently Porsche is wisely bringing the 6 cylinder engine back to the 718 range in large numbers; well at least in large numbers as the 718's can produce. They were scheduled for going on sale midsummer 202, but that was pre-corona time. So that engine might be dead very soon.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Apparently Porsche is wisely bringing the 6 cylinder engine back to the 718 range in large numbers; well at least in large numbers as the 718's can produce. They were scheduled for going on sale midsummer 202, but that was pre-corona time. So that engine might be dead very soon.
Exactly, the higher performance models, the GTS and GT4 are returning to naturally aspirated sixes. So the turbo flat fours should be spread to the rest of the VW empire. I'd assume it wouldn't be that hard to turn one sideways for the Mk8 R+.