GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW vs Audi Brake Rotors

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It does, but if you measure it correctly it would be barely noticeable. I had them in my GTO and in my Camaro. Going to order them once I swap the suspension to the H&R OE Sport. They increase the spring rate slightly, preventing the hard squat you get when accelerating.

They used to have only 2 compounds when I bought mine a while ago, orange and black, now they have 4.
You are doing exactly what I am. H&R OE Sport springs are in my future, and these bushings will get it back to ~ stock ride height and improve body roll and squatting during acceleration further, even beyond what the H&R springs do.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I had to check, I didn't know the 18 SQ5 came with the regular 4 pot calipers. My wife upgraded her 2020 Q5 for a 2022 SQ5 and all the models come with the 6 pot brembos, just painted red for the Sport package.

Her Q5 brakes did surface rust just like my GTI, I don't think I ever had a car that the rotors didn't develop surface rust in my life.

If you can and have a chance, I would paint the hats on the discs. I had several Z-coated and E-coated discs develop rust.

I think I confused a lot of folks with my original post. The braking surface will rust. The coated surfaces should not.

BUT the braking surface of various rotors seems to rust to varying degrees. We have 3 vehicles...

1. 2018 SQ5 with coated stock rotors that were put on about a year ago. They do not rust except on the braking surface, and that rust is moderate, not severe.
2. 2022 Acura MDX with coated stock rotors. These rotors literally do not rust at all. Not even on the braking surface. So they are clearly made with something headed toward a stainless steel metal mixture. Less iron, more chromium (or similar).
3. 2015 GTI with the coated stock rotors that had never been replaced. These are AWFUL. as you can see from the photos, even the braking surface never came clean. Even after a significant amount of driving and braking, then never looked better than my photos. I would not buy the OE VW rotors again. They are garbage (at least they were in 2015).

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
You are doing exactly what I am. H&R OE Sport springs are in my future, and these bushings will get it back to ~ stock ride height and improve body roll and squatting during acceleration further, even beyond what the H&R springs do.
I already have my set mounted, just have to install them in the car, Koni yellows with Eurosport camber puck, H&R OE Sport, and I have the Audi TT pad in hand. I plan on installing them with the pad to see where it stands, measure and order the shox. Then play with the sizing, I had the black ones on both my V8's, but I may go with the orange (or blue) on the GTI because I have an RSB and I know it will also reduce roll.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I think I confused a lot of folks with my original post. The braking surface will rust. The coated surfaces should not.
You are correct, they shouldn't... but, it all depends on the environment, maintenance, how hard you drive it, etc... I burned through the e-coating on a set of brand new brakes on the tail of the dragon with my GLI and I wasn't pushing it, just had my entire family in the car. Also, if you take your car to Discount Tire, they have been using a wire brush in a drill to "clean the rotors" before installing the wheels back into the car. I asked them once not to do it and they said they had to. Had to retouch the rotors on my 1LE after that.

Once you get a chip on coated discs, they will start to rust and flake. All my new rotors I thoroughly clean and paint with caliper paint, front/back and inside the vanes. I know most of the paint from the vanes will flake off when over heated but at least to me, it gives me "Piece of Mind".