GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW vs Audi Brake Rotors

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yeah, at the expense of brake dust and rotor wear. The stock VW pads certainly aren't as aggressive as things get, but for a street car, they're pretty good. The same is not true of the Audi pads, even with good tires, those things take forever to stop. But they'll have clean rims, so most owners are happy.
I disagree on this. My 2018 SQ5 brakes are the best I have owned. They aren't grabby, but have tremendous stopping power. I have the "normal" SQ5 brakes, not the larger sport brakes.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I disagree on this. My 2018 SQ5 brakes are the best I have owned. They aren't grabby, but have tremendous stopping power. I have the "normal" SQ5 brakes, not the larger sport brakes.
Well organic pads do tend to have better pedal feel, so that makes sense. Metallic pads tend to be grabbier. The issue comes about when you use full braking repetitively where organic pads tend to smear/melt to the rotors and lose effectiveness. Likely a non issue on a street driven SQ5 though. I disliked so much about our Q5 that I may just remember that the brakes were a part of it.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Well organic pads do tend to have better pedal feel, so that makes sense. Metallic pads tend to be grabbier. The issue comes about when you use full braking repetitively where organic pads tend to smear/melt to the rotors and lose effectiveness. Likely a non issue on a street driven SQ5 though. I disliked so much about our Q5 that I may just remember that the brakes were a part of it.
Do tell. What didn't you like about the Q5? I mean I have my complaints as well, but I like a lot about it! And you are driving an MK7 GTI now as its replacement?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Do tell. What didn't you like about the Q5? I mean I have my complaints as well, but I like a lot about it! And you are driving an MK7 GTI now as its replacement?
Ha, no, it was the wife’s car. She has an XC40 Commie Cruiser now, which we both actually like a lot more than the Audi.

With the Q5, she bought the wrong car. She drove a loaded Q5 and a stripper SQ5 and decided that she wanted the Q5. It was just really numb, floaty and unengaging. It felt like a Buick. The SQ5 fixed a lot of that, but ultimately she decided she wanted something smaller and the Q3 is just underpowered and bland, so she went with the Volvo.

Amusingly, she wants a Macan now, so right back to the MLB chassis I suppose, but I think she’s waiting for the BEV version which seems to be more delayed than my Mk8 Golf R.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ha, no, it was the wife’s car. She has an XC40 Commie Cruiser now, which we both actually like a lot more than the Audi.

With the Q5, she bought the wrong car. She drove a loaded Q5 and a stripper SQ5 and decided that she wanted the Q5. It was just really numb, floaty and unengaging. It felt like a Buick. The SQ5 fixed a lot of that, but ultimately she decided she wanted something smaller and the Q3 is just underpowered and bland, so she went with the Volvo.

Amusingly, she wants a Macan now, so right back to the MLB chassis I suppose, but I think she’s waiting for the BEV version which seems to be more delayed than my Mk8 Golf R.
ha, very nice. I can appreciate all those thoughts. Even the SQ5 isn't perfect. The steel suspension is way too high (air suspension gets sufficiently low though). Mine has steel suspension so I had it upgraded to ABT HAS coilovers, which are really a huge improvement. I also tuned mine. Just stage 1, nothing crazy, but that really woke things up as well. Definitely a keeper after those few mods.

Macan is a great vehicle with the right upgrade packages. I just wish they made it with a manual... I would own one in a heartbeat if that were the case.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
ha, very nice. I can appreciate all those thoughts. Even the SQ5 isn't perfect. The steel suspension is way too high (air suspension gets sufficiently low though). Mine has steel suspension so I had it upgraded to ABT HAS coilovers, which are really a huge improvement. I also tuned mine. Just stage 1, nothing crazy, but that really woke things up as well. Definitely a keeper after those few mods.

Macan is a great vehicle with the right upgrade packages. I just wish they made it with a manual... I would own one in a heartbeat if that were the case.
Ha, I briefly considered a GTS Cayenne manual years ago. Then I came to my senses and realized I really only like moderately light cars. It's the one thing that keeps me from being fully excited about the R I have on order, porky little thing.

Many years ago, my folks had a Trooper with a manual, that thing was surprisingly fun in a way that the automatic ones very much were not.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ha, I briefly considered a GTS Cayenne manual years ago. Then I came to my senses and realized I really only like moderately light cars. It's the one thing that keeps me from being fully excited about the R I have on order, porky little thing.

Many years ago, my folks had a Trooper with a manual, that thing was surprisingly fun in a way that the automatic ones very much were not.
I totally get what you are saying. A Cayenne is pretty big, but even the SQ5 can feel big at times. That's interesting what you are saying about the R. It sounds like it needs stiffer components to compensate for the weight perhaps. I would like to own an MK8 R once they are readily available used (as the MK7s are now). For now, my MK7 GTI will be the project!

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I swapped out the rears on my GTI over the weekend. No more scraping sound while cornering (and yes the old pads were still fine), and even though this was just the rears, breaking feels more predictable. The old rotors didn't have that much wear honestly, but they just look awful. Went with Zimmerman coated rotors and EBC redstuff pads. Should do very well on this vehicle, and of course not very expensive. Need 200 easy miles on them and then I will follow EBC's bedding instructions.

20221002_173242.jpg

Attachments

• 20221002_164909.jpg
    20221002_164909.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 250

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I was wondering if anyone would notice that. It's a bushing to improve the spring response. I just put it in while I was doing the brakes. I don't know how long it will last but I really like it so far. The back end is a lot more stable and it improved the ride a little bit too.

This is the product --U.S. RubberShox DuraTPE Series Front-Rear Car Coil Spring Buffer Cushion/Automotive Suspension Shock Absorber Performance Booster Kit Universal Type A-F Vehicle Auto Parts (CSB,B+)2.44”x5.12”(TD) https://a.co/bfExYbR

I have the "B+" size installed which isn't raising the ride height much if at all.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I had to check, I didn't know the 18 SQ5 came with the regular 4 pot calipers. My wife upgraded her 2020 Q5 for a 2022 SQ5 and all the models come with the 6 pot brembos, just painted red for the Sport package.

Her Q5 brakes did surface rust just like my GTI, I don't think I ever had a car that the rotors didn't develop surface rust in my life.
I swapped out the rears on my GTI over the weekend. No more scraping sound while cornering (and yes the old pads were still fine), and even though this was just the rears, breaking feels more predictable. The old rotors didn't have that much wear honestly, but they just look awful. Went with Zimmerman coated rotors and EBC redstuff pads. Should do very well on this vehicle, and of course not very expensive. Need 200 easy miles on them and then I will follow EBC's bedding instructions.

View attachment 262236
If you can and have a chance, I would paint the hats on the discs. I had several Z-coated and E-coated discs develop rust.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Interesting. I am really surprised it doesn't raise the ride height more.

It does, but if you measure it correctly it would be barely noticeable. I had them in my GTO and in my Camaro. Going to order them once I swap the suspension to the H&R OE Sport. They increase the spring rate slightly, preventing the hard squat you get when accelerating.

They used to have only 2 compounds when I bought mine a while ago, orange and black, now they have 4.