GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Platinum Extended Warranty 60mo. / 60k - what should I pay?

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2017 is coming up on the end of its 36/36 in January, and I am not quite ready to sell - probably looking to keep another 12ish months.

I am looking at a 60/60 policy to extend by 2years since I can always transfer it when I sell. I have been able to get one dealer from $2265 to $1800.

Is this a reasonable price? What should I expect to pay? I read somewhere that invoice to dealers is around $800.

Any input is appreciated. I realize its an insurance policy that may or may not pan out, but want to explore my options.

-Ben

Frankly it sounds like a waste of money... However, if you're determined to extend a warranty, why not the powertrain? Those components are by far the most costly and probably the most prone to fail...

Just my .02 ☺

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
Frankly it sounds like a waste of money... However, if you're determined to extend a warranty, why not the powertrain? Those components are by far the most costly and probably the most prone to fail...

Just my .02 ☺

Powertrain is 5yr/60k if im not mistaken? So would be all set there... Im also worried about the electronics frankly (Nav, Etc.). Maybe its unwarranted..

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
For just one year I would pass. Don't know why everyone thinks the R's break down after the warranty. If you kept up the maintenance and have no issue then I wouldn't waste the money.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Having owned 5 new cars (yeah, not that many compared to some people here) and having an extended warranty on 2 of them, my experience has been the EWs were not worth it as one was never used and the other one broke even. So I lost money overall. The other 3 cars without EWs never had any need for expensive warranty work (the Golf R is going to be covered by the factory warranty for quite some time...)

The money is best saved and used for any repairs IF necessary.

Unless a car is crazy expensive I won't be buying an extended warranty again. So, for me, even $1,800 is too much.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Since you are planning to sell the vehicle in a year or so, i wouldnt consider buying the extended warranty.