GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW oil compatibility chart

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
A single anecdotal example on a <40,000 car isn't going to change physics. Also those tests are limited in what they can predict.

I said "all things being equal" and what I mean is that a high quality 5W-40 will beat a high quality 5W-30 in protection, this is just based on the characteristics of the oil. It's literally in the rating.

However, a good 5W-30 will beat a mediocre 5W-40 in daily driving.

Run 5W-30 on your tuned & tracked car, you're going to have a bad time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Are you sure? I thought I recall that later in the year production of even the 2018 Rs listed only the 504(/507) certification under the hood. :confused:

I am not sure why you think VW considers a 502 oil the "better oil" given that the 504/507 rating is the more demanding one. (And so I use the 504/507 rated oils in our 2018 R and UOAs have confirmed that these 0W30/5W30 oils protect very well.)
Ok. I missed this earlier.

504/507 oils are not more demanding, they are completely different specifications. 504 replaced 503 for euro emissions standards which is both for lower viscosity and additives that won't cause emissions when they become piston blow-by.

507 is a low SAPS formula for extended service intervals. It resists breakdown more.

508 is a low friction standard for economy cars aiming for gas mileage. It calls for 0W-20 which is crazy.

EA888 Gen 3 engines call for 502, some others will work, but best to stick with 502 as a baseline.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
504 is a different, low-additive formula than 502 but exceedes the performance specs BY A MILE, so it supersedes 502.

502 is an old weak spec, only used in USA due to the high sulphur gas. Low additive (low saps) 504 oils do not work well when exposed to fuel dilution in our rich-tuned engines, done so for low NOx emissions, but since 2017 we now have ultra low-sulphur gas like Europe, so these oils can be used to full-length OCIs.

502 does poorly in a diluted environment.

MB 229.5 is the best full-saps spec. Any oil formulated "specific" to 502 is a downgrade.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

I looked at some oils today at WalMart. Generally, Euro 5w-40 / 502 is a step down compared to 0w-40s. The Castrol labels seem to indicate this. 0w-40 is MB 229.5 and 5w-40 is only the older/weaker MB 229.3 that corresponds to VW 502 in time.

Edge 0w-40 is currently top dog. MB 229.5 with low calcium to avert LSPI, and titanium that quenches LSPI.

VW 504 is the best low-saps spec, but is expensive. If you want low saps top avert valve deposits and low calcium, there is another....Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30 is MB 229.51 the low-saps spec, just a hair behind VW 504.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-L-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/495194903

Also, tuned engines should look at HD diesel truck oils, which are far ahead of lame Euro 5w-40s. Chevron Delo 5w-40 for instance, has a high-temp / high-sheer rating of 4.1cP. way higher than the standard HT/HS Euro specs of 3.5cP.

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-0W-40-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/163165881

For a couple bucks more you can exceed Castrol 0w-40 and pick up the Fiat Z2 spec that's used by Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa Romeo.

The BMW-01 spec is missing, but I'm about 99.9% sure that it's due to contract issues than not meeting it.
Shell/Penz is the supplier to BMW, and would probably prefer you go buy the exact same oil for $11.99/litre at your authorized BMW dealership.

The 5w-40 formulation is the exact same oil composition wise, but a very very very slightly thicker visco.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
504 is a different, low-additive formula than 502 but exceedes the performance specs BY A MILE, so it supersedes 502.

502 is an old weak spec, only used in USA due to the high sulphur gas. Low additive (low saps) 504 oils do not work well when exposed to fuel dilution in our rich-tuned engines, done so for low NOx emissions, but since 2017 we now have ultra low-sulphur gas like Europe, so these oils can be used to full-length OCIs.

502 does poorly in a diluted environment.
You do realize RLI 5w40 is a custom blend oil, right? The guy went to Terry Dyson to use as a consultant to formulate a better oil. You're no Terry Dyson.

MB 229.5 is the best full-saps spec. Any oil formulated "specific" to 502 is a downgrade.

You have data to show something like the Iron level in the oil comparison in a RS4 engine like the chart stolen from BITOG?
Did you not read the "not that fine print" to the side, right? (or was it TL;DR for you)

It says "The performance charts are not a literal translation of a performance specification and should not be used as a replacement for evaluation of engine oil performance in accordance with the relevant vehicle manufacturer's requirements

NOTE: These performance charts are primarily designed to demonstrate relative performances within the same industry specifications, for example ACEA E6 versus ACEA E7, or API CH-4 versus API CJ-4. This tool has not been expressly designed to show relative performance between different specifications"

The long time members at BITOG constantly question your claim of "facts" from oil to tires. The ones that haven't been banned before.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Founders

Car(s)
'20 GLI 6MT

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32