GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW nav. Does it still suck?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, I knew that GPS signals themselves were satellite based. I wasn't sure if they somehow integrated the satellite data with other data from cellular networks. I know my apple maps/google maps sometimes got squirrelly in the mountains of NY and VT where there was no cell signal.
It wasn't because of a squirrely cell signal it was because of a blocked GPS signal.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I work in parts at a VW dealer in Florida. Every single time we’ve tried to order a Navigation Update we get the same exact SD map card that is already in the car. We order the newest updated part number per VIN and it’s never correct, so we stopped doing it.

Why VWoA doesn’t allow online downloads by the customer is beyond me. Navigation.vw.com tells you to visit your dealer…

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, I knew that GPS signals themselves were satellite based. I wasn't sure if they somehow integrated the satellite data with other data from cellular networks. I know my apple maps/google maps sometimes got squirrelly in the mountains of NY and VT where there was no cell signal.
Yep. 3G is just how the car communicates with VW but not with the GPS. I'm pretty sure all the nav data, including points of interest, is on an SD card or loaded onto an internal drive of some sort depending on which model of head unit your car has and none of that is communicated to the car any other way.

The traffic data is another deal that either comes through Sirius/XM or possibly FM based signals. So the only 3G connection is Car-Net or whatever nefarious connection the car has with VW we don't know about!

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Just wait until everything is subscription based, that will be fun too. You can have heated seats activated for only $1.99/mo!

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I personally love my Navigation in my Golf SE Nav. I‘m not a fan off Apple maps, Siri tells you to turn right where you need to (when it’s too late!) I find putting in destinations and stopovers etc a bit tricky though! It’s not the best system but it’s better than most. I made a review of my car if you’d like to watch it? Thanks, Sam
Do you have a drivers license!?

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Because some of us keep our phones in our pockets and don't plug in to Carplay or Android Auto. Plus I like having the nav displayed in the dash which neither of the other options will do.
And some of us like to travel to rural areas without cell service. When I do the POI comes in handy sometimes as well as being able to still get from point a to point b

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And some of us like to travel to rural areas without cell service. When I do the POI comes in handy sometimes as well as being able to still get from point a to point b
As a last resort download where you are going without cell service to Google Maps for use offline.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
As a last resort download where you are going without cell service to Google Maps for use offline.
I actually do this regularly even though I have the VW nav. You never know if you'll be separated from your car in an area without cell service so it is a good idea to download maps whenever you go on a trip just to be prepared. Downloaded maps actually last a good while before needing to be updated. I also need to remember to put the solar powered cell charger in the car. Never know when that will be needed.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Do you have a link where you ordered?

Just any online VW shop will do it, I found my local VW online had an okay price with free pickup so I got the card in like 2 days versus waiting for another dealer to order, receive, and then ship to me.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Apple maps and Google maps are actually cloud-based. Though they get the location data from GPS satellites, the maps load and update via the internet either G4 or wi-fi. Typically they are stored as temporary files and only update as needed, but if you're moving off of whatever map is stored and there's no signal, things will stop until you regain your signal.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Apple maps and Google maps are actually cloud-based. Though they get the location data from GPS satellites, the maps load and update via the internet either G4 or wi-fi. Typically they are stored as temporary files and only update as needed, but if you're moving off of whatever map is stored and there's no signal, things will stop until you regain your signal.
And with modern devices having as much as 1tb of storage I should be able to download the entire us maps to my device and use apple or google maps as an offline product.