GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW nav. Does it still suck?

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
How is this even a thread? Answer: cars don't even need nav anymore just android auto or carplay.... get with it folks..

Personally I don't trust Siri, Cortana, Google Assistant or any of the always-on devices so Siri is disabled on my iPhone which is required for CarPlay integration. If anyone has instructions as to disable the Siri requirement for CarPlay I would love to have them, I asked on VWVortex and no one has a clue.

I also don't necessarily use the navigation on a daily basis but there's no harm in ~$100 every other year or so to keep the maps updated.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Discussion on VWVortex about updating where it seems to be possible. I think it's all up to if a US VW dealer will sell you the right SD card at all. Why it's not updated regularly and just offered for sale is beyond me. Seems to be much more of a hassle than it should. Sell the card and people will buy it. Money! But apparently VW and VW dealers/service/parts departments are all a bunch of loons.

$100 every few years is somewhat reasonable (akin to a $33/year subscription) but, considering VW dealers seem unwilling to play, it's $0 for the time being.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
How is this even a thread? Answer: cars don't even need nav anymore just android auto or carplay.... get with it folks..
Because some of us keep our phones in our pockets and don't plug in to Carplay or Android Auto. Plus I like having the nav displayed in the dash which neither of the other options will do.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Discussion on VWVortex about updating where it seems to be possible. I think it's all up to if a US VW dealer will sell you the right SD card at all. Why it's not updated regularly and just offered for sale is beyond me. Seems to be much more of a hassle than it should. Sell the card and people will buy it. Money! But apparently VW and VW dealers/service/parts departments are all a bunch of loons.

$100 every few years is somewhat reasonable (akin to a $33/year subscription) but, considering VW dealers seem unwilling to play, it's $0 for the time being.

I'm the one that's done it, lol.

I have the V11 that should be delivered tomorrow.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I'm the one that's done it, lol.

I have the V11 that should be delivered tomorrow.
Yeah, I was typing my reply but my browser for some reason did not update the thread with current postings so I did not see your reply here until AFTER I hit "Post reply"!

If V11 works, make sure to check to see if it has some sort of date associated with the data. If it's still out of date, might not be worth the effort.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Because some of us keep our phones in our pockets and don't plug in to Carplay or Android Auto. Plus I like having the nav displayed in the dash which neither of the other options will do.
That's me too. I like CarPlay navigation but I don't like futzing with my phone, and the native navigation is quite good on MIB2 and beyond.

It's ridiculous that VW doesn't provide easy & inexpensive map updates. BMW gives me 4 years of over-the-air updates for free, as well as all their other connected services, and I can subscribe to continue beyond that if desired. I've already gotten 3 map updates since last May, without lifting a finger or paying 1c. Meanwhile some cabal in Wolfsburg figures out they can save 37c by not backlighting the volume control on the Mk8 Golf. Rat bastids!

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I was typing my reply but my browser for some reason did not update the thread with current postings so I did not see your reply here until AFTER I hit "Post reply"!

If V11 works, make sure to check to see if it has some sort of date associated with the data. If it's still out of date, might not be worth the effort.

Going from V3 to V9 showed that it was updated to a 2020 NAR map, I suspect V11 would be listed as a 2022 NAR map. I'll report back on the results.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
That's me too. I like CarPlay navigation but I don't like futzing with my phone, and the native navigation is quite good on MIB2 and beyond.

It's ridiculous that VW doesn't provide easy & inexpensive map updates. BMW gives me 4 years of over-the-air updates for free, as well as all their other connected services, and I can subscribe to continue beyond that if desired. I've already gotten 3 map updates since last May, without lifting a finger or paying 1c. Meanwhile some cabal in Wolfsburg figures out they can save 37c by not backlighting the volume control on the Mk8 Golf. Rat bastids!

VW's solution is far better than the Acura setup - there's a ~$180 DVD you purchase and then literally have to wait 8 hours while it installs.

Seriously, you have to have your car running for 8 hours straight to install from the DVD.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
VW's solution is far better than the Acura setup - there's a ~$180 DVD you purchase and then literally have to wait 8 hours while it installs.

Seriously, you have to have your car running for 8 hours straight to install from the DVD.
You'd think they'd provide a USB port to simply copy the data over. At least my C6 Corvette ran off a DVD you just replaced. Not the best system (it seemed to choke for some owners a couple years ago when a planned GPS time issue came to pass which I think was ultimately fixed and was a bit slow to plot out routes) but it worked well and they sold updates every year. Displayed routing info in the HUD as well. Really old technology (like a freaking green CRT from the 60s) but it worked.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Wouldn't say it sucks necessarily, but it works. My issue with Mk7, & now Mk8, VW Sat Nav is: once a destination is entered, it will not be deleted / removed, it will keep on re-calculating your route thinking you are lost until you actually go there, it simply will not shut the heck up. Following potenial Armageddon, only bugs will crawl the Earth but VW Sat Navs will still be stating "turn left at 100 yards then turn right to arrive at your destination", which just happens to have been levelled and totally pulverised....