GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW nav. Does it still suck?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
"Navigation . . . Nearest WalMart"
If you say Alexa/Siri instead of "Navigation" you can actually find the nearest walmart instead of the ones that were available 4 years ago when these apps got their last update.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Why do people even bother with proprietary navigation when your free Waze/Google Maps apps on your phone are the best navigation apps ever made?? And your car has CarPlay. So there’s like seriously no reason whatsoever to use factory Navigation. It’ll more likely lead you astray.

/thread

checking back in. I’m sure modern car navs suck less than mine, but I just got a 2016 Touareg with RNS810 nav and it is absolutely atrocious. Couldn’t be designed more poorly.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
And with modern devices having as much as 1tb of storage I should be able to download the entire us maps to my device and use apple or google maps as an offline product.
You should be able to do that, but those Apple or Google maps are designed to work on smartphones with far, far, less storage than 1tb, which has to be shared with other programs and user files such as videos and photos that aren't in cloud storage. But even more critically, there are revenues to be made by supplying up-to-the-minute user location from mapping programs for marketing mash-ups. Nothing is ever truely free on the Internet--especially if it comes from Apple or Google.