GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW nav. Does it still suck?

BoxterS

Car(s)
'01 Boxster S
Our only experience with it is in the '19 Atlas SEL. Wondering if the 2022 Golf will have better.

We can only voice-control it, by speaking a street address, house number and street, then city, state, and it must be one it has in its database.

If the house is in a yet-unmapped new development, and our nav dates to '19, we are out of luck.

We cannot say, "Holiday Inn Express, Franklin, Tennessee," as we can to almost all phone apps for nav. We cannot say, "Jimmy P's Charhouse," or "nearest WalMart," as we can with the phone apps.

The only POIs in the Atlas's database are for gas stations and parking lots. It's all about the vehicle, not the occupants. How did VW get it so wrong, and did they get it right for Golf 2022?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Why do people even bother with proprietary navigation when your free Waze/Google Maps apps on your phone are the best navigation apps ever made?? And your car has CarPlay. So there’s like seriously no reason whatsoever to use factory Navigation. It’ll more likely lead you astray.

/thread

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why do people even bother with proprietary navigation when your free Waze/Google Maps apps on your phone are the best navigation apps ever made?? And your car has CarPlay. So there’s like seriously no reason whatsoever to use factory Navigation. It’ll more likely lead you astray.

/thread

Only reason I can think of is if their Atlas has the virtual cockpit, the VW nav will show the maps there, where Waze/Google Maps won't. It's a nifty feature to have, but I'd agree not worth using a third party alternative over.

BoxterS

Car(s)
'01 Boxster S
I want the same level of voice-control for the onboard nav as I have for phone nav when I'm sitting on a park bench.

"Navigation . . . Nearest WalMart"

Or to Nashville, Indiana. No address, just city center.

Or nearest Shake Shack.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
While it's nowhere near as good as a Garmin unit or even Google Maps, it definitely does not suck in my '18 R. I used OBD11 to code out the "enter data only when stopped" restriction so my wife is able to enter in destinations on the fly. Once a destination is entered, it gets us there no problem.

My only complaint is that it can be a bit wonky in entering in a destination that's close but not too close to where you are as it sort of seems to default to addresses close to where you are. Like if I'm in Los Angeles and need to enter in an address in Santa Monica which is right next door. It seems to only want to check L.A. and it can be a bit finicky to get it to really find the address in Santa Monica. So sometimes I have to pay close attention to how I'm entering in the address.

Otherwise, the turn-by-turn navigation is accurate and it gives me the indications as to what lane I need to be in and the display in the dash is great.

I don't love it as I'm a Garmin fan all the way but it's already in the car and works fine for me. So I say it doesn't suck.

BoxterS

Car(s)
'01 Boxster S
So is the input for destination strictly street-number, street, city, state?

'Cause that's what the '19 Atlas requires. Voice while driving, or on screen via keyboard when stopped.

i want to be able to speak my destination by city center, or place name, just as it works in Google Maps.

Car Play with IPhone wire-connected provides access to AppleMaps app, but you cannot command through the vehicle's mic and system.

What's a new Golf got for POIs, beyond the gas stations and parking lots the Atlas nav has?

SamBrooksbank

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf
I personally love my Navigation in my Golf SE Nav. I‘m not a fan off Apple maps, Siri tells you to turn right where you need to (when it’s too late!) I find putting in destinations and stopovers etc a bit tricky though! It’s not the best system but it’s better than most. I made a review of my car if you’d like to watch it? Thanks, Sam

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I personally love my Navigation in my Golf SE Nav. I‘m not a fan off Apple maps, Siri tells you to turn right where you need to (when it’s too late!) I find putting in destinations and stopovers etc a bit tricky though! It’s not the best system but it’s better than most. I made a review of my car if you’d like to watch it? Thanks, Sam
1640570488354.jpeg

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Only reason I can think of is if their Atlas has the virtual cockpit, the VW nav will show the maps there, where Waze/Google Maps won't. It's a nifty feature to have, but I'd agree not worth using a third party alternative over.

I can't believe there isn't an obd11 hack to display waze/google in place of the factory nav on the virtual cockpit.

I've been in the mountains with no cell service, which is about the only times I've used the factory nav 🤷‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't believe there isn't an obd11 hack to display waze/google in place of the factory nav on the virtual cockpit.

I've been in the mountains with no cell service, which is about the only times I've used the factory nav 🤷‍♂️
If you have Android Auto you can download the maps of the area you're going to if you know you won't have a cellular connection.