GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Map Updates - Not Detecting Update on SD

Boogston

Car(s)
VW Golf R 2015
hi All!

I have a 2015 VW Golf R (ex Japan) which I am trying to update the maps on.
I have followed the instructions on the website, but each time I insert the SD into my car and select Update Software, it just comes back with "Error: No data available. Please insert a source containing the data for the software update, or check the source.

I'm trying to add the WORLD map to the car, which includes New Zealand.
I've tried formatting the card as FAT32, NTFS, exFAT - all produce the same result.

I'm starting to think maybe this head unit is locked to Japan only?

Images of my versions, errors etc:

Boogston

Car(s)
VW Golf R 2015
Well it appears my theory was right. In dealer mode, I can see the below error when selecting SD CARD as the source:
The Regions do not match (main unit). ROW JAPAN

Do I have any options here?
IMG_4975.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you have VCDS/OBDEleven you could see what regions are available in the following adaptation. I have no idea if this even applies to maps or whether it will work, but it's free to try and easy to change back.
IDE03471-ENG138660-Vehicle configuration-SDS_Region_Flag

In my car this is set to REGION_NAR. I don't know for sure but I would assume Japan and ROW are available choices.

FAT32 should be the correct format the card. I also don't know if the FEC for nav-maps is different between regions, but for the time being it seems your problem is with Regions and not FEC's.

Edit: Quick look through some old bookmarks, FEC's for different regions are different, which is probably why your system is complaining. List of FEC's here... https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...ainment-conversion-part-1.343701/post-7027388

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

Boogston

Car(s)
VW Golf R 2015
I checked with a few other guys in a VAG forum, and sadly they say it can't be coded in VCDS

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
Hey @Boogston

To solve your problem you need to get to get your MIB unit recoded, and from what I can tell its more then just VCDS/OBD11 can do, I am messing with mine via M.I.B. which is a software toolbox that works with MIB2.5 units, I am assuming yours is a MIB1 unit? I am not sure what the setup is for them.
If you ask on the VASK NZ FB Group plenty of people have had their units fixed to work in NZ... I believe its both a Region setting and possibly a FEC code that needs to be implemented.

Cheers

C

Ogdonald

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5 2018
Hey @Boogston

To solve your problem you need to get to get your MIB unit recoded, and from what I can tell its more then just VCDS/OBD11 can do, I am messing with mine via M.I.B. which is a software toolbox that works with MIB2.5 units, I am assuming yours is a MIB1 unit? I am not sure what the setup is for them.
If you ask on the VASK NZ FB Group plenty of people have had their units fixed to work in NZ... I believe its both a Region setting and possibly a FEC code that needs to be implemented.

Cheers

C
Hello mate. Did you manage to recode your unit as I'm facing the same issue??

kyle251

Car(s)
MK7 golf R estate
I would also like to know if this is possible. My car being ex Japan also has the same issue.
I managed to code over the radio to ROW easy enough to get nz frequencies but can’t work out how to get the maps installed