GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Does yours creak when you flex the front suspension whilst your foot is on the brake pedal, e.g. on a speed ramp?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Does yours creak when you flex the front suspension whilst your foot is on the brake pedal, e.g. on a speed ramp?

Not that I am aware of...:confused:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
April 2016

Its the little things that make a huge difference...:)

Like these black plastic covers for the unsightly door stay bolt.

Door stay hinge covers for VW Golf/Polo/Jetta/Tiguan, Audi A4/A5/A6/A7/Q3/Q5
https://vwpartsinternational.com/sh...a-tiguan-audi-a4-a5-a6-a7-s5-q3-q5-brand-new/

Look factory quality/design, & as though they were diverted from the factory before they knew the parts existed.

At the time of writing this they are still perfect & have not fallen of or interfered with anything!

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
May 2016

Another modification to the car using Mk7 Golf parts, which is factory fit in certain countries...

TPMS (SET!) button retro-fit!
That little blank button on the top right of the gearstick surround was designed to be "working". Just VW as usual are penny pinching, & they used to fit these on previous Golfs! It also shows how much they are pushing everything via the touch screen infotainment system.
All information in my thread here:-
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26020

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
October 2016

So that's it 2yrs old now!!!

Still looking as good as ever & loving it! I still look back at it in the carparks as I walk away, as it has the best lines for an estate I have seen in ages. The standard sports suspension is still the right side of the handling/comfort balance for our twisty, potholed backroads, IMHO!!

Would I spec it differently having lived with it for 2yrs now? Yes & No. I might have added DCC just to get the bigger 312mm brakes & the alloy hub carriers which come with it. But that leaves the problem of replacement cost of the DCC dampers when they go wrong! As I intend to keep the car over 10yrs that's a cost I would have to pay which I don't like. So NO I think I spec'd it perfect!

VW on the other hand DID NOT!!..:mad:

So expect more modifications using OEM factory parts!!..;)

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
November 2016

Finally finished another two OEM modifications which I have had planned since May this year!! Just that I could not get all the parts (mainly one of the brake carriers) due to stock shortages in Europe for TRW who make it. Had to pay double the price & get it from the VW dealers as I wanted new out of the box parts! However I found out that I could have bought another "wrong" side carrier & swapped the pins over. This would have saved me ££ & time also, really annoyed!!

288mm to 312mm brake swap
I had my reservations about the standard 288mm brakes when I first bought the car, as the size increase compared to my previous cars OEM brakes did not correspond to the weight increase! The standard brakes are not up to job of driving (briskly & within the speed limits) a Golf Estate for over 1hr on twisty back roads. Worst set of standard front brakes I have had on a car. However the 312mm brakes are standard fit if you order the DCC (Magnetic adjustable dampers) option even for the same engine power!?? WTF???.. :mad:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26006

Audi TT-RS front brake air guide/flap retro-fit
They really need to fit this to as standard to the GTD/GTI/R etc as it makes a big difference to my 312mm brakes!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26005

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Ah, you have the stiff suspension. Ours has the standard, as a result the suspension moves much more.

That said, every demo golf 7 I've had from the dealer has cracked and creaked from the front suspension bushes, so I'd bet I can make yours do it too.. particularly in winter as it's colder.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ah, you have the stiff suspension. Ours has the standard, as a result the suspension moves much more.

That said, every demo golf 7 I've had from the dealer has cracked and creaked from the front suspension bushes, so I'd bet I can make yours do it too.. particularly in winter as it's colder.

Having again recently (early this week in -6C temps) driven mine over the best drivers roads in the UK (A939 full length) which has very type of twist, turn, steep decent/ascent etc. I can state that it does not creak..;)

Usually from what you are describing your ARB bushes are noisy which require some disassembly & lubing....been there & done that on other VAG cars...common problem, easy fix..:cool:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Pity VW does not agree and states it's normal and chooses to do nothing about it at all. Actually they drove out car with the ARB completely disconnected and it still does it. It's worse when you're braking and the suspension moves; therefore it seems to be the wishbone bush.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Pity VW does not agree and states it's normal and chooses to do nothing about it at all. Actually they drove out car with the ARB completely disconnected and it still does it. It's worse when you're braking and the suspension moves; therefore it seems to be the wishbone bush.

"Actually they drove out car with the ARB completely disconnected and it still does it.".......:eek:

Top mount is another cause maybe........

If it was mine & the dealer had given up I would be lubricating with a spray oil each bush one at a time until it did stop...that's the culprit...:cool:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Top mounts and shocks have all been done. I'm sure it's the WB bushes. The b'stards refuse to admit they have a problem, yet every car in the fleet does it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Top mounts and shocks have all been done. I'm sure it's the WB bushes. The b'stards refuse to admit they have a problem, yet every car in the fleet does it.

I've driven a few of the MK7 Golfs up here at my dealers & no squeak.....only noise is from body twist on the door rubbers where the front door closes onto the rear door rubber, I use G-Techniq stuff on mine & it's fine, some will state use Gummi phege etc...

To get it to do that takes some going...but I have done it..:eek:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
You don't have the right type of speed ramps!! :)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You don't have the right type of speed ramps!! :)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

HAHA....

I bet the mechanics might use that as a last resort excuse.....

"Wrong type of speed ramp sir"..........:D...:mad:

Jon2

Ready to race!
Got a bloody massive speed hump on the access road to work. Hate it. The little housing estate I live on has a number of ridge humps, for want of a better description. The road surface isn't tarmac, but brick. At certain points the bricks have been turned side-up, so creating a mini hump, or ridge. Annoying. Other than that, the roads throughout Shetland are near perfect, with no signs of potholes. I'm heading down to the Midlands next w/e, so that's going to be the first long distance (and motorway) journey I'll have done with the Golf. Suspension is so far very quiet and smooth. Here's hoping for many more months/years of it remaining so. :)