GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Disclaimer:- This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

EDIT:-
February 2020

The complete & up to date list of the car's modifications is kept in this post here:-

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI | Page 7 | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

VW Golf Mk7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

I have never been into writing a “blog” about my cars, but as I keep getting PM’s requesting further information on the modifications that I have done to my car I thought I would put all the facts in one place. Some of you will have noticed I have done some very detailed “How-To” guides in the “DIY Guides & Discussions” section on this forum for some of the modifications that I have done to my car. This “blog” covers the other modifications & everything else!

I have owned VAG cars for over 20yrs & thought it “better the devil you know”, so I decided to stick with them again, & was looking at various models including the Golf SV (Sports Van) & the Skoda Octavia MK3. However the Golf Estate & SV were the only ones I could get at the time with the 1.4lt engine & multi-link rear suspension/axle (as on the GTI & R). So in the UK that limited me to the GT specification (Highline in Europe), which came with some items I did not want, & was missing items that my 14yr old Skoda had as standard factory fit! I also wanted to “future proof” it i.e. add stuff which is likely to be standard fit in a few years time as my 14yr old high specification Skoda still had a good modern day specification! So after spending lots of time looking at various Golf’s in various colours on the dealer’s forecourt, & loading my skis & climbing gear in & out of the cars I decided on the Estate over & above the SV!

I spent two months waiting for the new Golf SV to arrive at the dealers to look at it. I was also waiting for the factory to confirm if VW UK would be using the 1.4lt TSI, 150PS Euro6 version engine from the hatch in the estate. They fit this engine to the German Estates, but unfortunately they wouldn’t be for the UK at that time. So the final order was not placed until August 2014!

The Final specification ordered was as follows:-

Volkswagen Golf (Mk7) Estate, GT, 1.4 TSI 140PS, 6 speed Manual, Tungsten Silver Metallic/Titan Black interior.

Standard UK specification (key features):-

7x17” Dijon alloys with 225/45R17 tyres
Sports suspension lowered by 15mm
(0AE PR code front ARB = 24mm dia. x 3.8mm thick)
(0BM PR code rear ARB = 18.5mm dia. x 2.5mm thick)
Heat insulating tinted (65%) glass from “B” pillar backwards
Front sports seats
Low profile rear headrests
Alcantara & cloth fabrics
Silver roof rails
Cherry red rear tail lights
LED, ambient, foot well, & reading lights
Remote controlled folding door mirrors with reverse activation & puddle lights
Parking sensors front & rear
Front fog lights
Discover Navigation
Leather three spoke steering wheel with multifunction buttons
Rain sensor & auto dimming rear view mirror
Adaptive cruise control
Front assist radar sensor
City emergency braking system
Auto driving lights with dusk sensor
Driver profile (Mode) selection
Electronic Parking brake (handbrake)
XDS electronic differential
Stop/Start function
Battery regeneration function

I also added the following optional factory items:-
Rear view camera (need this, & for future proofing as difficult to retro-fit)
2Zone dual climate control (should be standard, it is on the Skoda Octavia!)
Climate (heated) front windscreen (need this for the winters here!)
Winter pack (heated front seats & washer jets) (this should be standard, it was on my 14yr old Skoda!)
Advance telephone prep (connection to car aerial & USB connectors) (had to get this as ordered the climate windscreen)
Dynaudio sound system (better speakers, amplifier, subwoofer) (got this to stop me ripping the car apart as I have always fitted better stuff to all my cars)
Bi-Xenon & LED DRL lighting package (HOW MUCH??, should be standard!)
Model & engine badge delete (saves me taking them off)
Colour MFD screen (should be standard)
230v socket in boot
Side airbag system for rear & rear seatbelt pre-tensioners (cheap for the extra safety it provides)
Smoking pack (ashtray & different 12v socket) (don’t smoke but got for the better 12V socket)
Metallic paint

Car was scheduled for an end of October delivery date & was built end of September 2014, & was delivered to the dealers early. Because of various personal “matters” I had to ask them to delay the hand over until the end of the month (31st October 2014).

I did not like the car registration plate selection (SX64 or SY64, followed by EW? or EX?), so I got a very good personal plate for the car, so good in fact the salesmen & my mate who drove me there thought it was a show plate & a wind up!

So I on the 31st October 2015, I signed the paperwork, paid the cash over & collected “MY” car!!

Car-at-pick-up.jpg
Car-at-pick-up-rear.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
November 2014

So let the modifications begin!!

I had been doing research & had a nice list of items to retro-fit, some of which are VW options in other counties. I also had a list of personal “improvements” to make!! There were also other modifications to make to the car once I had given it a good looking over! I also had a big list of VCDS tweaks to make! Because I was privately selling my “old” car I decided to not use the new car until I had done all the important modifications & “winterisation” of it, & therefore leave it in my garage, & move my old car “outside” (poor thing).

Proper fuse removal tweezers
8D0 941 802, from all VAG cars, most pre 2010.
The one fitted to the underside of the fuse box in the engine bay is useless at extracting the fuses in the tight fuse board behind the glove box! This older type is much better!!!

LED light for glovebox
5G0 947 409, LED unit for footwell.
VW fit LED reading & foot well lights but not to the glove box? WHY?? This is a straight whole unit swap for the OEM halogen unit!

Warning triangle for hatch
8K0 860 251, Warning triangle
This is the correct size warning triangle to fit the special sot in the hatch door itself. Very expensive item though!!

40yr Golf sticker
5G0 853 279, Anniversary rear window sticker.
The hatch comes with this but not the estate, so I decided to fit it, extortionate price though!!!

LED bulb for rear boot area
Phillips X-treme vision 43mm festoon C5W 6000K
Again VW fit LED’s to all the internal lights except the glove box & the internal boot light!! Unfortunately there is no straight unit swap so found out from VW UK that the LEDs are 6000K so got this one the match. However it does not have the resistor so although it works ok & does not throw up fault codes, it does remain very dimly lit whilst the ignition is on.

Chrome tail pipe trim
5L0 071 910, Chrome tail pipe trim from Skoda Yeti (cheaper than VW one).
The Mk6 Golf GT had chrome exhaust tips as standard fit from the factory, why not the Mk7 GT? VW penny pinching that’s why!

Footwell mats
5G2 061 502 82V, Front rubber footmat set
5G0 061 512 82V, Rear rubber footmat set
At the time of purchase (October 2014) Weathertech did not make a set for UK right hand drive cars.

Misc items:-
5G9 061 161, Plastic boot liner tray
3C9 065 110, Cargonet for boot
5G9 061 210 71N, Reversible extending boot mat
7L6 947 175 A 01C, This is the torch from the 2007 Touareg cigarette lighter 12V socket in centre console (£30plus so expensive)

Now to sort out the stupid tow hitch hole in the rear bumper!
VW Germany make all VW Golf Mk7 Estates with the rear valance cut out for the optional VW factory fit retractable tow hitch. This item is not available for the UK market! The Golf hatch is the same but comes with a solid rear valance. If you want to fit an aftermarket tow hitch you have to get the pre-cut rear valance for the tow hitch option. However this cannot be done for the estate! So you have a big hole in the rear bumper whether you like it or not! Anyway VW UK make a blanking plate/cover for the hole except they want to charge circa £55 for it! My dealer gave it to me free, but it was the bigger blanking plate (small one did not exist at time) so I had to cut the hole bigger to fit it! Happy it is now covered!

ZGB5G9071569 Big Cover for tow hitch cut-out when fitting aftermarket tow hitch.
ZGB5G9071568 Small cover to fit exactly the OEM factory hole
Be warned these numbers mean nothing to the parts dept as they do not exist on their program (ETKA) as they as specially commissioned by VW UK (RGM make them).
All information in my thread here:-
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6471

Jack pad mod
This is the Audi TT jack pad mod on the MQB platform. I have done this on my previous cars & I think it should be standard factory fit VW!
Will do one later

Front exhaust tunnel cover
This should have been fitted to my car at factory according to ETKA, but I did not see it on any Golf’s at the dealers!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

Rear exhaust tray
Again this is standard factory fit in other counties & on the Audi MQB platforms!

Fire extinguisher retro-fit!
I have always had a fire extinguisher in my cars, & it has to be mounted within reach of the driver’s seat, usually on the centre console, or on the passenger seat, lower front. The factory have an option to fit this but it is not available in the UK! Why is it not on our options list VW UK? So I got the bracket & instead of fitting the VW extinguisher (standard Euro 1kg powder extinguisher) I fitted what I consider to be the best extinguisher, a Lifeline Zero 360 (halon type) handheld 1kg.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7939

Now to fit the best door sill covers!
These are made by RGM (Richard Grant Mouldings Ltd).

DSP202, Black plastic door sill covers, (listed for the 5 door hatch, but the estate has same door sills).
RBP4617, “Brushed Aluminium” look rear bumper cover.
These are longer & cover more of the sill lip than the ones VW offer!
I did however “modify” them by removing their double sided adhesive tape on the back (red in photo) & fitting my own stuff (green in photo). This is because I prefer a full seal around the cover which stops water/grit etc getting under the plastic cover & scratching the paintwork causing hidden rust spots etc. I do leave a small drain gap in the tape on the lowest edges at each end. I also pulled up the door seals & removed the lower sections from the metal work to make access & fitment of the RGM sill covers easier. I did clean, polish & then use panel wipe on the areas before fitting the sill covers, to ensure good adhesion.

Might do a how to later on ..........

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
December 2014

Gtechniq

Dropped the car off at AMDetails in Elgin for a Gtechniq “Silver” treatment (medium car size) with the optional package of a Crystal Serum Black pack & a further two coats of EXO to finish it off! I did not get the extra cost internal treatments, glass treatment, or wheel treatments as I would be doing those myself. The Crystal Serum at the time of purchase was only available to approved detailers to use & not for resale.

Not cheap, but the car gets compounded & polished (which should sort out any minor factory defects out), & considering the Crystal Serum can only be removed by wet sanding, it should stand up to the abusive weather, winters, salt, grit, sand, etc. we get up here!

Shiney!! :cool:

Car-at-AMD.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
January 2015

Now I removed all the plastic under trays so I could spray “Waxoyl” clear wax coating/under seal over all the metal body parts, axles, suspension, etc

Now I can fit the mud flaps as the paintwork covered by them has been Gtechniq coated. I did notice that the rear one next to the exhaust box almost touches it so I have fitted some adhesive foil tape for heating ducts to the mudflap. I cannot see anything wrong with fitment etc, most likely the exhaust box is slightly near & would require pre-positioning which I had on a previous VW.

5G0 075 111, Front mudflap set
5G9 075 101, Rear mudflap set

Full cover Engine bay skid tray
This is a factory fit option in Germany & France, so why not here VW UK??

Now to fit the best wheels in my opinion which happen to be made here in the UK!!
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2, 7”x17”, ET45mm, PCD 5x112mm,
direct center bore 57.1mm, Glitter Silver, (as re-branded for VWR)
fitted with Michelin Primacy 3, 225/45R17 91W, for summer.
2.2kg lighter per complete wheel than the OEM wheel which were the same size .
Team Dynamics Pro Race 3, 7”x17”, ET45mm, PCD 5x112mm,
Plastic reducer spigot, Glitter Silver,
fitted with Michelin Alpin A5, 225/45R17 91H, for winter.
2kg lighter per complete wheel than the OEM wheels which were the same size.
I had a real problem with the plastic spigot rings on the Pro Race 3 alloys as the direct bore option is N/A on this alloy. So got a set of machined alloy full depth rings made, costly but the wheel sits perfectly centred now! Also got a good set of new taper head bolts & chrome look covers.

Bigger battery mod
I think again should be factory fit as the electric consumption on my car with all the extras I have is way too much for the battery they fit.
All information on my thread here:-
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Rear lower wishbone stone guards for multi-link rear axle
This is a factory fit option in Germany & France, so why not here VW UK??

ESC OFF button
So it takes 12 seconds to activate or de-activate this via the infotainment screen if you have the infotainment system off. That’s really clever for driver safety isn’t it VW??..............
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7908

Engine cover
Another cost saving exercise from VW!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8285

AC condenser stone protection grill
VW at the time of writing do not make a stone protector grill for the Mk7 Golf. They made one for the Mk6 Golf, however this will not fit the Mk7 as the A/C condenser is a different design & manufacturer. The Mk6 has 11 rows per 10cm of height, the Mk7 has 13 rows! I made mine up using woven stainless steel mesh & edged it with car door rubber seals.

I might to a how-to-guide later on.

Car now road ready & winterised so now i can use it, first pictures of it outside now, & snow on the ground!

Car-on-winters.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
September 2015

Been taking some nice pictures of the car after being "inspired" by a fellow forum member who lives near this ruined castle.

Still loving the car & the colour! :cool:

Car-at-Duffus.jpg
Car-with-Timber.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
October 2015

Rear axle tray mod
Finally, after doing lots of research & looking at loads of images, I took a risk & ordered the parts which I thought would fit the car, & guess what? They do fit! Again another item which could & should be factory fit! The rear of the car is more stable when going around fast corners as the air flow is directed downwards & does not get sucked into the body void to create lift, & that “light” one wheel in the air feeling.

WeatherTech Mats
446541-444962 (full set front & rear) At last they make them for the UK market!! Really good quality & fit. This will help keep the carpet free from snow/slush etc in winter!

Door exit warning marker/white puddle light mod
Again VW cutting costs, by giving us reflectors when the door controllers have a pin dedicated for “door exit warning lamp”. On the GTD/GTI/R they use this pin for the illuminated door sills.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13887

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
November 2015

Rear window, gloss black, spoiler fins mod
I was getting fed up with the large amount of dirt the rear window collects due to the way the aero works. Thankfully VW have now produced “fins” (like on the hatch) for the estate/variant/sportwagon. These fins are standard fit on the 1.0lt Bluemotion/GTD/R, versions.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217

Gearshift & gearstick mod
Finally done it! All metal & with a GTD gearknob!!
I hated the vague feeling from the standard set-up, the plastic side to side lever which is a weak link & those rubber bushes!!! I also hated the gearstick shape!! My 14yr old Fabia was all metal with ball & socket joints & a proper shaped gearstick! So after spending ages researching I did the initial install & had a nice shift, but created more problems with the stick popping in reverse!. I then looked at other ways using VAG parts to solve it but finally got it fixed as I think VAG have got a manufacturing flaw!:eek:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14444

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
December 2015

Solved the dreaded wiper judder!..:eek:
Yes you heard correctly, I have solved the PITA wiper judder that I have had since I got the car new!!! I had tried everything including Bosch aero wiper blades, Clay bar, meths, IPA, other glass polishes, G1 quartz ceramic coating, etc., etc..

I was at an open day/event at AMDetails in Elgin & Craig from Carpro (UK) was there & I got talking to him about the problem. Basically the glass from the factory has flaws in it which are rough patches caused by what looks like a bad rinse/cleaning agent (not the dealers as they did nothing due to my instructions). These flaws showed themselves when I had cleaned all the coatings off etc & wiped the glass down with a damp cloth. This showed up liquid marks in the areas which cause the judder. Drying the glass with a clean lint free cloth, the cloth would "tug" over these same areas. The same happens with the wiper blades causing the judder!

So I set to with the DA polisher & "Carpro Ceriglass liquid polish/cutting compound", & their rayon pads on the DA. Set the DA to a slow speed (below 2000rpm) & never let the glass dry, so moisten (more is ok) with a hand sprayer (cover surrounding area). Take your time & go slow, I took several hours in the garage as I had to remove the G1 coating as well!

Result is glass so smooth & clean, dirt has little chance to stick to it! Also wiping the same lint free cloth over the glass...no "tugging"!!!! I also fitted a new set of Bosch aero twin blades, same part numbers but in a new black/white package & the new blades are different!! :eek: They have a reinforced centre section by the arm connector & the rear aero rib is centred instead of offset!

I have just completed a 760mile trip on UK "M" & "A" roads so up to 70mph ;), most in horrendous weather of heavy rain, high winds, masses of road spray, etc.. There was NO judder, smear, noise, just perfect wiping, clear glass, & I could not believe how little washer fluid I used!!

Carpro ceriglass (UK) here:-
http://www.carpro.uk.com/ceriglass-glass-polish-cleaner-150ml/

More VCDS tweaks
Final lot of VCDS tweaks for now (I have done so many I think I have re-written the entire car). I adjusted (again) the MPG calculations to 107 as the car was still slightly out compared to the actual brim to brim using the same pump/filling station.

MPG?
Well on that 760 mile trip in bad weather, using the Xenon's all the time, wipers, AC, radar cruise, satnav, etc. I got a dash & manually calculated brim to brim of 43.3mpg running on Shell Nitro (99Ron UK).

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
best color. glad to see everything in one spot ;)

happy holidays sir!

Cheers!,

Trying to keep a reference point for all mods as the individual how to guides will get buried in the DIY section, so with the links in my sigs to my build guide here & then links in this build guide to the how to guides at least they can be traced back!....:cool:

Valdarious

Passed Driver's Ed
Solved the dreaded wiper judder!..:eek:
Yes you heard correctly, I have solved the PITA wiper judder that I have had since I got the car new!!! I had tried everything including Bosch aero wiper blades, Clay bar, meths, IPA, other glass polishes, G1 quartz ceramic coating, etc., etc..
Thank you! OMG this has been driving me crazy and my dealer thought was I was nuts. Apparently no one here where I live has either noticed or don't want to complain. I am still thinking I want to take it into them and have them fix it as I shouldn't have too but at the same time, I don't want them messing with my Tint Bra I install myself(PITA putting tint around the rear view system). I know this is on the outside but the service department stated they would try claybarring inside and out... :rolleyes:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Good work, pity they didn't offer the 140PS when we got ours.