GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

RS_MacD

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah but your temps are tempered by an overall oceanic climate, even though you're farther north. Not sure where you are, but the 57th parallel includes the area around Aberdeen, so I plugged that city in (sorry for the Fahrenheit scale, but you get the message). Notice not only how much colder it gets here but also hotter! The winter-summer differential is much more dramatic.

View attachment 230581

View attachment 230582

And sure you get snow, but nothing like here. It's normal to get a foot of snow here in a single storm. And a big nor'easter can dump two feet.

As a Scottish fella who lives in Chicago - I can say that the higher latitude of Scotland is a fun talking point but doesn't translate to the extremities in weather temperature. In the US it's called the "rust belt" - they throw down grit like you wouldn't believe to try and tackle the freezing temps and the snow!

However, the roads in Scotland over winter are also salted loads as the OP said, so you're both likely quite close in terms of rust content. My 2015's subframe is definitely not a shade resembling black any more...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah but your temps are tempered by an overall oceanic climate, even though you're farther north. Not sure where you are, but the 57th parallel includes the area around Aberdeen, so I plugged that city in (sorry for the Fahrenheit scale, but you get the message). Notice not only how much colder it gets here but also hotter! The winter-summer differential is much more dramatic.

View attachment 230581

And sure you get snow, but nothing like here. It's normal to get a foot of snow here in a single storm. And a big nor'easter can dump two feet.

Aberdeen is about over 1hrs drive away from me & windier & more damp!.

Yeah we are "warmer", & yes we have not much snow by the coast, but you forget if the air temp is is around +3C you can get a frost on the ground..& we get loads of days which can be damp/raining during the day, & then the clouds clear for night, causing the temp to drop further & the ground gets frost & black ice like mad.....

If the temps are forecast to drop below about +2C the gritters are out....

I also do winter mountaineering & ski-ing, so that involves driving to the ski/mountain areas & over some of the hard & high road passes, so more grit. I mean where I live no snow, drive a few miles inland & 1ft of snow...& I've driven through cleared drifts 8ft deep up here & seen -16C on the car temp readout in the process in some winters (rare)

P.S....We may not have the snow blizzards like you do over there (well we do on the high road passes, been there done that), but we get loads of black ice on the roads. In the mountains we also get a lot of snow which has solid ice layers in & on it, very little "powder".....known locally as "Cairngorm concrete"...basically smack an ice axe into the snow & it bounces off......very sharp ski edges are required!!

P.P.S...I used to live in Ohio so I know what its like when the Artic winter storms come down across the Great Lakes & dump huge amounts of snow....

southpawboston

Drag Race Newbie
Aberdeen is about over 1hrs drive away from me & windier & more damp!.

Yeah we are "warmer", & yes we have not much snow by the coast, but you forget if the air temp is is around +3C you can get a frost on the ground..& we get loads of days which can be damp/raining during the day, & then the clouds clear for night, causing the temp to drop further & the ground gets frost & black ice like mad.....

If the temps are forecast to drop below about +2C the gritters are out....

I also do winter mountaineering & ski-ing, so that involves driving to the ski/mountain areas & over some of the hard & high road passes, so more grit. I mean where I live no snow, drive a few miles inland & 1ft of snow...& I've driven through cleared drifts 8ft deep up here & seen -16C on the car temp readout in the process in some winters (rare)

P.S....We may not have the snow blizzards like you do over there (well we do on the high road passes, been there done that), but we get loads of black ice on the roads. In the mountains we also get a lot of snow which has solid ice layers in & on it, very little "powder".....known locally as "Cairngorm concrete"...basically smack an ice axe into the snow & it bounces off......very sharp ski edges are required!!

P.P.S...I used to live in Ohio so I know what its like when the Artic winter storms come down across the Great Lakes & dump huge amounts of snow....
Ah ok then, so you know it both ways. Ohio gets it brutal. My inlaws live just below lake Ontario and they get twice the snow as Toronto. I guess you also have a lot less room for error with your narrow roads! One small slide and you're smacking into one of those picturesque stone walls.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ah ok then, so you know it both ways. Ohio gets it brutal. My inlaws live just below lake Ontario and they get twice the snow as Toronto. I guess you also have a lot less room for error with your narrow roads! One small slide and you're smacking into one of those picturesque stone walls.

We don't have many stone walls up here, that's mainly down in England in the Lake District & Peak District i.e. Cumbria & Yorkshire etc..

This was 21yrs ago, at 35mph in a 60mph zone, in my 4yr old VW Mk3 Polo (6N) which I had built to order...No ABS or traction control & the Pirelli P6000's with loads of tread on them & my skills couldn't avoid the "quick spin in the countryside" due to black ice....:cry:

Polo-Crash-collage.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
October 2021,
Part 2

The Main Service.

For starters the car’s 7yrs old now!! ….How time flies!!.... 😲

The timings of every 2, 4, or 5 years means next year will be a big service & this year there is only the oil change!! First of all, time for me to do my parts of the service, so that’s an oil, & oil filter change, using an OEM VAG oil filter, & Castrol Edge Titanium FST 0W40 (which is VW502 00 approved), like I did last year. I also inspected the Mann “FreciousPLus” cabin pollen filter, that I fitted last year.

I did the usual full electric function check of windows up & down, lights, switches, headlights, indicators, horn, etc, etc., & a complete VCDS scan, with the only fault being the very intermittent optical data bus which I thought I had solved a few years back??!!

I also decided to remove the electronic servo actuator for the turbo wastegate. (Charge Pressure Positioner V465). This to enable a through clean & re-grease of the pivot pin in the linkage between its rod/arm & the turbo wastegate arm.

Another item I decided to inspect was “G76 - the rear left vehicle level sender”. This is the plastic sensor with black & green plastic arms that is used to automatically lower the headlights when there is a heavy load in the boot of the car. These linkages seize resulting in the plastic arms breaking & a whole new unit is then required. The main reason for this being the ball & socket joins at the pivots getting dirt into them & the lower ball on the suspension arm being a basic metal & rusting! I just sprayed WD40 into the joints & twisted the arms around to free them. Then using a two-pronged trim removal tool separated the black arm from the lower ball joint. I then sanded the ball smooth & regreased & put it back together. In my case the lower joint had seized almost solid so I reckon it would have snapped if I had left it any longer!

Also, I carried out a full clean inside & out & the G-techniq crystal black serum ceramic coating is holding up well for 7yrs of age (besides a few stones chips to sort out!) Vacuumed the inside also, & wiped all internal surfaces down with cleaner, then warm water & dried etc. Also applied rubber/trim stuff to all the door rubber seals, & window seals. Again all G-techniq stuff used in cleaning etc the car as I have since I got the coating done 7yrs ago! Also did a “top up” water repellent to the paintwork, & various other cleaning was carried out!

The car passed the MOT with flying colours...of course! The results are the best ever!!!

The emissions results:-
Fast idle test (2500-3000rpm)
CO = 0.00% (0.20% Max. allowed) (0.00% last year)
HC = 4ppm (200ppm Max. allowed) (21ppm last year)

Lambda = 1.01 (0.97 - 1.03 allowed) (1.00 last year)

Natural idle test (450 - 1500rpm)
CO = 0.00% (0.30% Max. allowed) (same as last year)

JCalado

Car(s)
Golf VII 1.4 TSI ACT
HI golfdave, read alot of your topics, any updates on the Golf? Have a hatchback with the same engine but 150cv and i'm always curious to see what you post.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
HI golfdave, read alot of your topics, any updates on the Golf? Have a hatchback with the same engine but 150cv and i'm always curious to see what you post.

No, not much been done...got to write up the guides on the mods I did last year...I mentioned them in a post on the previous page.....photos with all the undertrays off & the front doors off!!

It takes a bit to get the written stuff "logical"...been busy with other stuff...