GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Genuine Wind Deflector Accessory - Warning !!

VDubber1

Ready to race!
I had these fitted onto my MK7 GT 2.0 TDi (150)
They were on the car for roughly 5mths and they were good...although they did cost £105 for the 5dr. Anyway....as I had to hand the car back to exchange it for the GTi, I decided to remove all the accessories from the car and keep them for the GTi....

I removed all the wind deflectors and was horrified as to the amount of wind noise that was now coming into the cabin. I spoke to the dealer about it and he agreed that it looked like the approved accessory had in fact caused this!

So beware if you are thinking of adding these to your car [emoji53]

Sent from my HTC One

Last edited:

paddypool

Ready to race!
''I removed all the wind deflectors and was horrified as to the amount of wind noise that was now coming into the cabin.''

I don't get what your saying? you took them off & you had wind noise?!:confused:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
I'm guessing the rubber gaskets have deformed over time and now aren't doing their intended job. You could try heating them with a heat gun or hair dryer, and then squeezing them back into their original shape.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Yup...sounded like it was coming through the sides of the windscreen. Service Manager thinks that because the deflectors squeeze between the glass and the rubber, it has weakened the seal resistance and is now allowing air to pass through...not good ?

Sent from my HTC One

Last edited:

VDubber1

Ready to race!
I dont have the deflectors anymore...nor the GT they were on. Didn't want the same thing happening to my new GTi so I sold them on ?

This is just a simple warning to anyone thinking of putting these on their wishlist....

Sent from my HTC One

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Had them on one of my old cars and the noise should go after a while when the rubber seal goes back to it's original shape, it goes quicker the warmer it is.

As for the Golf, how are they with the folding mirrors as they get very close to the glass and would push the deflector in surely?

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Thats surely reassuring to anyone who has them fitted [emoji106]

They do touch them a fraction when mirrors are fully folded in, but nothing to cause any longterm damage to either the mirror or the deflector [emoji4]

Sent from my HTC One

garmcqui

Passed Driver's Ed
I like to drive with the driver's window open a bit, will fitting these deflectors stop the horrible problem of water running in? Seems to come from the wipers or off the roof when cornering. Seems a very bad design IMO, lots of water runs down and lands right on the window switches... Never happened with any of my previous cars?

paddypool

Ready to race!
I like to drive with the driver's window open a bit, will fitting these deflectors stop the horrible problem of water running in? Seems to come from the wipers or off the roof when cornering. Seems a very bad design IMO, lots of water runs down and lands right on the window switches... Never happened with any of my previous cars?

not fully, I'm having the same problem now & again & I have the VW wind deflectors...I'm sure they help somewhat though..

Gerry

Ready to race!
My wind deflectors work a treat albeit they do spoil the Golf's refinement a little.

Hail rain or storm.....my windows are always open slightly.

garmcqui

Passed Driver's Ed
not fully, I'm having the same problem now & again & I have the VW wind deflectors...I'm sure they help somewhat though..

why the hell did they design a modern car so rain water floods in even if the windows are open just a crack. None of my previous cars have suffered this problem, seems a bit of an oversight to me.

paddypool

Ready to race!
why the hell did they design a modern car so rain water floods in even if the windows are open just a crack. None of my previous cars have suffered this problem, seems a bit of an oversight to me.

No, water usually is comming in off the roof when you open the door...:(

garmcqui

Passed Driver's Ed
And if you're driving above 30mph, the water that the wipers wipe off the screen is also blown in, and it always lands right on top of the electric window switches - I bet there'll be a warranty claim before long.

So is the concensus that the window deflectors won't help with this, so aren't worth getting?

Fanis1

Ready to race!
Isnt the golf Mk7 have a .27 drag coeff?

I would probably stay away from anything that would change that number.. its a really good number!

In fact, it is 29 for "normal" Golfs and 27 for the Bluemotion. But I agree with you!!