GOLFMKV

VW Carefree Coverage on 2020+ cars

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
Anyone have any issues using this?
It's supposed to cover the
- First Minor maintenance (10K/ or 1 year from in service date. Oil change and check rotors and pads.)
- First Standard Maintenance (20K or 1 year from prior service. Oil Change and the mega load of check this, check that plus mechanics gets to beat the shit out of your car on a test drive and pretend to have that they checked all the things on the checklist)

Note: I generally do all work myself EXCEPT when I have a vehicle under warranty situation.

With the dash telling me to change the oil and the system showing an in service date of December 2020, My first attempt to cash in on this resulted in wasted time and me walking out. When I gave them my keys, the dealer said it's not entitled to a free oil change and I would be charged.
To have service dept guy tell a customer with a one year old VW requesting an oil change left me wondering how many other customers are paying for stuff that they are entitled too.
Already have a case with VWoA and waiting to here back.

Going to try a different dealer once I hear back from VWoA.

VWeGoBeachNow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 DIBM AB 6sp MT
- First Minor maintenance (10K/ or 1 year from in service date. Oil change and check rotors and pads.)
- First Standard Maintenance (20K or 1 year from prior service. Oil Change and the mega load of check this, check that plus mechanics gets to beat the shit out of your car on a test drive and pretend to have that they checked all the things on the checklist)

Note: I generally do all work myself EXCEPT when I have a vehicle under warranty situation.

With the dash telling me to change the oil and the system showing an in service date of December 2020, My first attempt to cash in on this resulted in wasted time and me walking out. When I gave them my keys, the dealer said it's not entitled to a free oil change and I would be charged.
To have service dept guy tell a customer with a one year old VW requesting an oil change left me wondering how many other customers are paying for stuff that they are entitled too.

Hi there,

I took my car in a couple months ago to my local VW dealer for 20k service when I only had 7k miles. It was covered and I had no problems. I checked to make sure my oil was new and it was.

KMcigam

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7

Do you care to name and shame the dealer? VWNA is fairly solid. I know they warrantied parts on my old car that were out of warranty after I contacted them.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Had VWCare on my 2018.....did the 10k service and 20/40 major services without any real issue. For the 40k (included the DSG), the service manager didn't believe me it was imcluded, so I had to go TELL HIM to look it up....

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
Waiting to hear back from the rep to find out results of their investigation.
Once I get closure I share details.
This is my first Volkswagen and so far, the dealership experience has sucked.
The dealership where I bought the car was sleazy. Finance guy was like a stereotype out of a B movie and they tried to pull the "I never said that rate\massive mistakes on the paperwork in the dealers favor" and their service department delivered the car with tires overinflated by 10psi and a busted vent.

First visit for service at another dealership was the bullshit captured in this thread.

I got 1 more dealer that's reasonably close and convenient.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I would rather pay my independent shop out of pocket than take my baby to the dealership for free service. Unless I have a major mechanical issue under warranty, they will never see me again. This kind of crap is one of the many reasons why.

gdub09

Ready to race!
First 2 services should be covered with VW Carefree. Sucks you had a poor experience but the dealer should know this. Could be untrained advisors or new, who knows. Everything that's on the standard/minor maintenance list is everything that's usually on a typical inspection anyway. Pretty basic stuff, nothing special. I also highly doubt techs are out beating on your stock GTI when they drive/work on them every day. A test drive to "check over" your vehicle is a waste of time in their eyes because they don't get paid for it.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah VW dealers are garbage. I haven’t had outstanding relationships with any of the 5+ I’ve tried over the years. But I’ve never had issues with the included 10/20K services.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
A lot of hate for dealers from some. Makes me wonder why such people would continue to give them their money.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
A lot of hate for dealers from some. Makes me wonder why such people would continue to give them their money.
Personally, it’s for the same reason that I give my money to various different entities, such as the cable company, the phone company, certain stores, that I have no great love for (and sometimes straight up animosity towards).

They’re necessary evils. Merely pathways and roadblocks to getting something I want.

In my experience, most dealerships, regardless of manufacturer, are staffed with individuals who’s main goal is to separate me from as much of my money as they possibly can, regardless of how unscrupulously they go about that.

If I could’ve bought my dope ass brand new GTI from my indie shop I would’ve done so. That wasn’t an option.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Personally, it’s for the same reason that I give my money to various different entities, such as the cable company, the phone company, certain stores, that I have no great love for (and sometimes straight up animosity towards).

They’re necessary evils. Merely pathways and roadblocks to getting something I want.

In my experience, most dealerships, regardless of manufacturer, are staffed with individuals who’s main goal is to separate me from as much of my money as they possibly can, regardless of how unscrupulously they go about that.

If I could’ve bought my dope ass brand new GTI from my indie shop I would’ve done so. That wasn’t an option.
Cut the cord and get rid of the cable company.

cb1111

Yes, finding a decent VW dealership isn't easy. That said, as you go up in price point, the dealerships merely get nicer, but VAG certainly has issues.

When I had my S6, the dealership also owned a Lexus dealership and both shared a parking lot - Audi on the left, Lexus on the right. Convenient for me because I also owned an RX300.

When I took my $60k S6 in for service, I was offered a ride to the metro, a stale donut and I could buy a soda from the vending machine.

When I took the $30k RX in for an oil change, I was offered a Lexus loaner, bagels and cream cheese and they had a barista with a snazzy espresso machine - all free.

A couple of years later, I have a 335xi - fight for an Enterprise loaner, bag of chips and lukewarm coffee out of a big pot. Barista with coffee for $10 and donuts for $5.

After that, an Acura - no appointments required, Acura loaners for any service over two hours, a fridge full of sodas, a Keurig with an assortment of coffee and tea, Costco wrapped pastries and bags of cookies and chips. The service department was open 365 from 6 to midnight (7 to 7 on Sundays and holidays)

The current VW dealership - "we ain't got no loaners", no snacks and no coffee. No waiting room either, but there are some chairs in the showroom and a pop machine. Ride within 4 miles or to the metro - I live 4.6 miles away so no ride for you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It isn't always that simple as what you end up doing is replacing the cable bill with a separate internet bill, a streaming bill, another streaming bill and so forth.

Often, a basic cable bill is cheaper than getting internet and streaming.
I was in a good situation. Already had Amazon Prime and Netflix so by getting rid of cable I got a $45 outdoor antenna that was able to get over 70 over the air TV stations including the networks. And T-Mobile pays for Netflix. My T-Mobile completely unlimited everything plan is only $45 per month including Netflix and 5G.