GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW 0w20 oil info?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you are tracking your car, aren't there better choices for that use w/r to this viscosity/approval in terms of HTHS numbers etc.?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
If you are tracking your car, aren't there better choices for that use w/r to this viscosity/approval in terms of HTHS numbers etc.?
I’d want to continue using something that continues to use vw’s oil certification

some dude linked me some motul. Gonna give that a shot

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
What oil is this? Is it a group 5 oil? I couldn’t find the api sn plus certification donut either. Or is reducing low speed pre ignition not something vw values?

Thanks!
It’s not “VW Oil”. VW doesn’t produce oil, the VW Group accepts payments from oil manufacturers to test and certify their brand - thus 508/509. The oil requirement is simply SAE 0W-20; which are all full synthetic.
For stock power levels this is perfectly fine. For non stock power levels, then those can create their own manual and choose their own weight/viscosity. One type doesn’t fit all, but SAE 0W-20 suits the requirements as to how the vehicle was designed at the factory.

Navi

Autocross Champion
1600788080883.png

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2019-gti-requires-508-spec-0w-20-oil.361063/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/0w-20-vw-508-508-oil-analysis-comparison.370761/

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It’s not “VW Oil”. VW doesn’t produce oil, the VW Group accepts payments from oil manufacturers to test and certify their brand - thus 508/509. The oil requirement is simply SAE 0W-20; which are all full synthetic.
For stock power levels this is perfectly fine. For non stock power levels, then those can create their own manual and choose their own weight/viscosity. One type doesn’t fit all, but SAE 0W-20 suits the requirements as to how the vehicle was designed at the factory.
Oh that much I figured, I’m sure no oem has their own oil side hustle. I just called it vw oil since it had the Audi and vw logos on the label. Sorry for the confusion

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Not all of Motul's offerings are Grp. V. Straight ester would be hideously expensive and not really necessary for automotive use. Jet engines? Sure. Our boxes? Not so much. Most Motuls are blends of PAOs and other various esters or some percentages of Grp. III+.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Not all of Motul's offerings are Grp. V. Straight ester would be hideously expensive and not really necessary for automotive use. Jet engines? Sure. Our boxes? Not so much. Most Motuls are blends of PAOs and other various esters or some percentages of Grp. III+.
A pure Esther based would be unaffordable for sure.

I think only their cleanx (maybe it’s called xclean?) is a hybrid group3/4. Where as everything else is either a 5 or a hybrid 4/5

iIRC their V race oil is a 5. While their consumer stuff only has a few offerings that are a 3/4, a bunch of 4/5 with a sprinkling of offerings in group 5

their gear oil and other fluids, not sure. I’ve ran their diff fluid 75w90 before. Lots of anti foam properties. Subaru’s love it. If you swapped for a higher kg center diff you can even find motul’s 75w90 with friction modifiers.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
UPDATE

Found mobile 1 esp 0w20

It meets vw 508 and 509 certifications. Meets GMDexosD (!!!!!!) and exceeds api sn

no idea if it meets or exceeds api sn plus. Considering mobile 1’s base. I think it would. Still researching.....
DexosD is nothing to get excited about. It's a Diesel Dexos spec, so LSPI is not a concern on diesels. API SN doesn't address LPSI either

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
The super popular Motul X-cess 8100 5w40 is overpriced Group III base stock oil. No ester (Group V) in there either.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
DexosD is nothing to get excited about. It's a Diesel Dexos spec, so LSPI is not a concern on diesels. API SN doesn't address LPSI either
I prefer it meet and especially exceed it. Lots of anti corrosive, anti wear and a ton of cleaning agents in the packets. What’s not to love? It also flows really well and doesn’t gunk up emissions stuff as bad as other oils that don’t meet the standard.

sadly I can’t seem to find anything that is api sn plus certified that meets vw’s 508 spec. I know low speed preignition is a thing with all direct injection motors. Am I just being a worry wart?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
sadly I can’t seem to find anything that is api sn plus certified that meets vw’s 508 spec. I know low speed preignition is a thing with all direct injection motors.

The Motul Specific I linked is SN+ and 508.00

Am I just being a worry wart?

Possibly, yes 😁.