GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW 0w20 oil info?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
What oil is this? Is it a group 5 oil? I couldn’t find the api sn plus certification donut either. Or is reducing low speed pre ignition not something vw values?

Thanks!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Group III from Castrol.

Mobil supplied 508.00 is Group III/IV base.

Magnesium is low, so it won't prevent LSPI
Thanks for the info. How the hell is a group 3 oil from vw considered ok in a turbo charged car for 10k miles?

Is there a vw508 certified oil that is also api sn plus? All direct engines, to my knowledge at least, suffer from low speed pre ignition no? Plus, gmdexos should be considered too on a turbocharged 4 cylinder, so that’ll be nice as well.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
It is suppose to be changed at 5000 miles.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
UPDATE

Found mobile 1 esp 0w20

It meets vw 508 and 509 certifications. Meets GMDexosD (!!!!!!) and exceeds api sn

no idea if it meets or exceeds api sn plus. Considering mobile 1’s base. I think it would. Still researching.....

Attachments

• 2DDCAC44-4AE4-44AC-8903-6FE705C0F819.png
    2DDCAC44-4AE4-44AC-8903-6FE705C0F819.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the info. How the hell is a group 3 oil from vw considered ok in a turbo charged car for 10k miles?

Is there a vw508 certified oil that is also api sn plus? All direct engines, to my knowledge at least, suffer from low speed pre ignition no? Plus, gmdexos should be considered too on a turbocharged 4 cylinder, so that’ll be nice as well.
Like almost all the VW502.00 oils which are typically Group 3 hydrocracked and are recommended by VW for a 10K OCI? Lots of UOAs support that they have plenty of TBN left at 10K and the viscosity will have sheared a bit but still well within the 30W range. What is your concern? The concern about base stock is not really founded; if the oil ha the approval, it's fine per the manufacturers recommendation. Obviously the end user's driving habits and upgrades need to be taken into account. I've gone as far as 9K on my 1.8 running the larger OE turbo software and beating on it with a good UOA.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Like almost all the VW502.00 oils which are typically Group 3 hydrocracked and are recommended by VW for a 10K OCI? Lots of UOAs support that they have plenty of TBN left at 10K and the viscosity will have sheared a bit but still well within the 30W range. What is your concern? The concern about base stock is not really founded; if the oil ha the approval, it's fine per the manufacturers recommendation. Obviously the end user's driving habits and upgrades need to be taken into account. I've gone as far as 9K on my 1.8 running the larger OE turbo software and beating on it with a good UOA.
That’s crazy. And I’ll be doing my oil changes at a different interval. I don’t have faith in a group 3 allowing me to run the car for 10k miles in between service. While hitting the track every weekend in the summer and spring.

good oil isn’t cheap. Vw’s must meet some type of standard. Sure. But I wouldn’t even want to run that past 5k. If it were amsoil. Sure. But this cheap 6 dollar at the dealership crap? Nah

I will say. The stock oil filter is super robust and I bet it can even survive up to 15-20k miles! But this shitty oil, I pass.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That’s crazy. And I’ll be doing my oil changes at a different interval. I don’t have faith in a group 3 allowing me to run the car for 10k miles in between service. While hitting the track every weekend in the summer and spring.

good oil isn’t cheap. Vw’s must meet some type of standard. Sure. But I wouldn’t even want to run that past 5k. If it were amsoil. Sure. But this cheap 6 dollar at the dealership crap? Nah

I will say. The stock oil filter is super robust and I bet it can even survive up to 15-20k miles! But this shitty oil, I pass.
Why do you think group 3 oils are shitty? Folks get hung up on the base stock but it's the final product (approval) that matters and oil is more than base stock, the additive pack is really the critical part. Most of these are blends of 3/4 anyway. So only PAO group 4 for you?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Why do you think group 3 oils are shitty? Folks get hung up on the base stock but it's the final product (approval) that matters and oil is more than base stock, the additive pack is really the critical part. Most of these are blends of 3/4 anyway. So only PAO group 4 for you?
Frankly, if I am gonna go 10k miles. I’d prefer a group 5

nothing wrong with some piece of mind bro. And no one can deny how much better a group 4 and 5 base actually is.

best group 3/4 I have ever used is mobile 1 extended performance and tied with Subaru’s idemitsu (spelling?) oil. Great anti wear and additive packets. But no way they’re gonna protect enough for my used past 7k. Especially not past 9k

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Most of the approved oils are Grp. III with a nice cut of Grp. IV ;). No matter much, add pack is where it's at.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
This stuff looks promising.
That’s an ester based. Not sure if it’s straight group 5. All of motul’s other stuff is. So I’m gonna guess this has to be too. It also meets porche’s oil film strength/durability certification. That’s a pretty big freaking deal

thanks for the link!