GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vu's MK7 GTI Build: By A Quiet Amateur

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Didn't think I would see myself making one of these threads but because I'm always wanting to learn and do better, I figured I share my journey as it goes along. But before I can do any of that, let me start by introducing myself w/ a backstory of myself:
The name is Walt, I go by the online name Vu. I'm 29 years old and I live in the Midwest area!

Before I bought the GTI I owned a 2008 Audi S4. It was a 6speed manual, 4.2l V8 and I have owned it for damn near 5 years.
thumbnail_IMG_4581.jpg

Fun car to drive in when it actually ran... but I loved it nonetheless. Because despite the constant challenges it has brought me over the years, all it did was made me learn so much about the car. The community for this car specifically is quite small compared to others and for as long as I owned the car I totally understand why...

Mainly because of what needs to be done in order to keep these B6/B7 S4's happy:
thumbnail_IMG_3952.jpg

Just about 80% of what you need to do to this car usually requires you to take the engine out and for this car with THIS engine is never easy to work on... that is why most will stay away from them and if they don't, then expect them to give up on the car entirely once they find out the cost to getting a timing chain done on these cars at a dealership lol(5-10k). Me on the other hand I stuck through it for as long as I could, kept my head down and just got shit done. If there was anything it needed, I would just do it myself since that would save me a lot of money in the long run. Plus I had no reason to complain since I got myself this car whether I knew their common problems or not... it just made more sense to just fix the it and enjoy driving the car while I still owned it.

Anyways after 5 years of driving the car, taking it apart, driving it and taking it apart and driving it again I was ready to let the S4 go and get something else. Had my eye on a GTI for a long time now. Specifically a MK7(DSG or Manual I didn't care) and sure enough comes my 29th birthday this year I did just that:
gti.jpg

It is a '17 GTI S 6speed with only 40k miles(have put in 1k miles since then). Normally I don't every do anything crazy for my birthday let alone treat myself so this year I took it upon myself to make a difference for once.

The car originally came from Colorado and from what I was told, the previous owner kept it clean and took very good care of it. They wanted something bigger so they traded this in for a Kia.

There are a few things that I have done to it so far within the past month of owning it:

1. K&N Filter w/ ECS Tuning Silicone Hose
2. ECS Tuning DV Spacer (which I will be taking off since there is literally no benefit from having it)
3. Aerofabb Front "Chin" Spoiler

I do have a CTS TIP coming in so when I install that I will be sure to take off the DV Spacer.

I have a list of things that I do want to get done within a year but they are not in any particular order:

-Aerofabb Spoiler Extension
-Upgraded Rear Sway Bar
-Catback Exhaust (undecided on which brand currently)
-VWR Oil Catch Can
-Upgraded Dogbone mount
-Aerofabb Side Splitters
-OSRAM Headlights
-Retrofit Digital Dash
-Upgraded Brakes

I don't have any pictures of my GTI of when I actually got the current "mods" put in but I will try to update as I go along and I am open to any feedback.

With that being said, let's get the new chapter begin!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Already looking good! Any power mods in the future?
No = yes
Yes = hell yes

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Already looking good! Any power mods in the future?
No = yes
Yes = hell yes
Yeah, I wanna go Stage 2 eventually but I gotta upgrade my clutch first haha. Based on what I’ve researched on here, most are suggesting a Stage 4 Ringer Clutch Kit with a DMF.

Not really in a big hurry tho because I am already enjoying the car as it is .

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, enjoy the car and let the mod bug do it’s job…
I got a Sachs hybrid for the near future Is38. I would like to keep an OEM -ish- feeling on the clutch.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Yeah, enjoy the car and let the mod bug do it’s job…
I got a Sachs hybrid for the near future Is38. I would like to keep an OEM -ish- feeling on the clutch.
I hear ya, the OEM feel on that pedal isn’t all that bad so I can see why most would rather keep that same feeling.

Oh believe me this mod bug I have right now is overwhelming in a good way :LOL:

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Update: CTS TIP is here but because no one was at home for a signature, UPS took it back and will try to deliver it tomorrow.

Not complaining because I'll be there to sign it tomorrow and not rushing the install.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Update: CTS TIP came in. Stoked to install it but I won’t until I get an upgraded PCV Hose.
A0A8E5B9-7BB1-4689-A667-597F448E504C.jpeg

For the breather hose I am currently looking into getting the upgraded hose from ECS. If any of you have better suggestions feel free to let me know. I know that many aren’t too keen on buying everything from them which I totally understand.

I’ve bought items from them for as long as I can remember, so they are naturally going to be my first go-to when looking for parts for the GTI when it first comes to mind.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Update: CTS TIP came in. Stoked to install it but I won’t until I get an upgraded PCV Hose.
View attachment 242851

For the breather hose I am currently looking into getting the upgraded hose from ECS. If any of you have better suggestions feel free to let me know. I know that many aren’t too keen on buying everything from them which I totally understand.

I’ve bought items from them for as long as I can remember, so they are naturally going to be my first go-to when looking for parts for the GTI when it first comes to mind.
What upgraded pcv hose? Mine is leaking were it connects to the TIP which I find odd but if I drive agresively it leaks.
My advise to you would be to disconnect the TIP first and then with patience disconnect the hose, use silicon spray if necessary

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
What upgraded pcv hose? Mine is leaking were it connects to the TIP which I find odd but if I drive agresively it leaks.
My advise to you would be to disconnect the TIP first and then with patience disconnect the hose, use silicon spray if necessary
I was referring to this upgraded hose:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/upgraded-pcv-breather-hose/021834ecs0101kt/

I'm just going to be patient when disconnecting my hose... No need to replace if it isn't leaking or anything.

Was yours leaking because of wear n tear or did it go bad when installing your TIP?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
congrats. beautiful s4, good to know i dodged a bullet by never getting one in that generation. but damn do they look and sound good!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I was referring to this upgraded hose:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/upgraded-pcv-breather-hose/021834ecs0101kt/

I'm just going to be patient when disconnecting my hose... No need to replace if it isn't leaking or anything.

Was yours leaking because of wear n tear or did it go bad when installing your TIP?
Thank you for the link. Mine I suspect it has to do with the last owner. I bought it with 5k miles on the clock everything shining under the hood but when I drive like a bat out of hell I can see the dirt on the connection to the TIP. When I put a paper towel on the hose I can see the oil....
I have replaced the TIP more than once in different golfs (mine and my wife) and never had a problem.
You'll be fine, just take your time.