GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vs STI

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Had an STI that was ahead of me at a light that leads up onto a highway. We had been next to each other on some rural roads with lights and stop and go traffic so there wasn't any opportunity to get on it but I could tell he was antsy downshifting he had a loud exhaust huge wing.

So the light turned green and he takes off and I try to follow but of course you know two wheel drive versus four wheel drive but I managed to get back on his bumper as we're getting on the on-ramp and he's just flooring it and I'm sort of flooring it but I realize I'm up on his bumper and I'm having a let off the gas a little bit into third and then I short shift into fourth and as we get on the highway I pull over to the left lane, floor it and by the time I'm at 140 he's about six car lengths back.

Thought they would be a lot quicker.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Lol ya I used to think they were quick too until I did a pull with a modded STI hatch in front of me and I had to keep letting off the gas to avoid hitting the back of him, meanwhile his exhaust was screaming the entire time.

And that was back when my car was still stock 😂

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
G35/G37 also surprisingly slow. The Q60 RS 400 with the 7spd dual clutch is a whole nother story though

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I remember when the Wrx STi's first came out while I was living in the UK mid 90s. A friend got one, with it's mid 13s quarter it felt like a great handling rocket ship compared to the regular hot hatches of the day which most of us were driving at the time. But it seems they barely got any faster over the next 25yrs.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
It's a 30+ year-old motor attached to a super solid drivetrain. Before I had my R I rode in one with a downpipe + cobb tune, felt quick. Nowadays my friend's built hybrid STI (pushing 500whp on ethanol) feels like a dog compared to new cars. Unfortunately the newer ones have added a ton of weight but it's still just an EJ257.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Slower, yes. The turbo punch in the ej257 feels very different from an R or GTI though, and actually makes for a more engaging and fun drive. They also sound way better..

They're fragile as glass, though. I popped two engines and a transmission in 5 years.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Slower, yes. The turbo punch in the ej257 feels very different from an R or GTI though, and actually makes for a more engaging and fun drive. They also sound way better..

They're fragile as glass, though. I popped two engines and a transmission in 5 years.
If by engaging you mean, it brings the 80s turbo lag and gives you time to read some Tolstoy before it hits, yes, very fun to drive.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Agreed on the sound. That, air cooled 911, any V8, Toyota V10 are my favorite. Who am I kidding. Basically anything but any other 4cyl.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
How about an Alfa V6?
The old MIlano/164 one almost sounded good. It's pretty to look at, but would still be better as a straight six. The new Ferrari based one doesn't really sound that good to my ears. I did forget about the new Nettuno in the Maserati MC20, that thing does sound pretty crazy, so there, two I really like. Haven't heard the McLaren or Ferrari hybrid ones yet.