GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

vs Rivian & Golf R

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
First up was the Rivian
Coming off an overpass turn together at about 70. He took off, so I did too. Up to 110, I was inching up slowly. He shut down after that, so I did too. Don't like flybys. Imagine from a dif, he would've destroyed me

2nd was the Golf R
I don't know if it was modified. All I know is it was white & looked like it had bronze Apex wheels.
Passed him on highway. Give him the VW wave. Get a thumbs up. He pulls behind me. There's 2 cars in front. When the left lane car moves over, I take off in 4th at about 80. Could've downshifted as I was at just over 3k rpm, but it's got enough torque to not not make a lot difference with the shifting time. He takes off too. At first, he's with me a little, probably due to gearing, but I start to pull away until there's about 2 or 3 bus lengths at 150. I slow down and he pulls up & get another thumbs up.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Rivian truck or SUV? Don’t know about the SUV, but I’m pretty sure the truck is electronically limited to 115mph… easy win if you guys stayed in it lol

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Rivian truck or SUV? Don’t know about the SUV, but I’m pretty sure the truck is electronically limited to 115mph… easy win if you guys stayed in it lol
Truck. Maybe that's why he shut down at 110

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I test drove a rivian recently. A friend of mine is expecting delivery of his so we took one for a test drive before his arrives. I wasn't impressed by a lot of the fit and finish inside. Nice to the touch yes, but otherwise it felt like a "this is my first car build" kind of thing where panels around windows would move half an inch if you gently pressed them and a lot felt like an after thought. I've got a lot of money invested in them from ipo days and I can't sell now, so hopefully they fix these things and improve a lot. 😑

Driving it around, it felt fast off the line, but by 60mph it totally ran out of steam and past 70 it was okay at best. My gti would stomp on it all day long from 50mph up, but only if in the right gear to begin with. Their huge advantage is the insta-response, which is even faster than a NA car. There's not a chance in the world a turbo car would be able to go from off boost to on by the time the electric has already accelerated away by 3-4 car lengths. I would bet with some lfb and throttle in you could build enough boost to get ahead and stay ahead.