GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Voltswagen

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
It sounds like a bad joke but I think VW has gone deep in on trying to reverse the whole Dieselgate scandal for awhile now. They want to show they're really good people. That and being the world's largest automaker, they're going to want to get in on the electric sooner than later because that is ultimately the future.

I don't think it's going to change that quickly though. Outside of the US, I'm pretty sure a lot of countries including plenty of third world are in no condition to ditch petroleum.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
April Fools joke? Or mad scramble to save face after public humiliation? You decide.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/30/vol...-april-fools-marketing-prank-source-says.html

April Fool's Joke accidentally released early. To save face and having to avoid they accidentally released a joke early, they doubled down claiming it was a real announcement accidentally released early. As if somehow that's better. Finally, an announcement will be released stating that they will be listening to the public, and not be changing their name to Voltswagen after all. Then they give themselves pats on the back for perfectly handling this blunder.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Crazy.... hopefully it was released early "by error" by some faction inside the group to make the suits pushing for this internally look dumb.... the negative public / press reaction should be swift, and maybe we dont hear of this again...

Good call. This way they can claim it was just press markup for an April's Fool joke that was leaked by some damn janitor.

Janitor gets fired.

Much whistling, door closing, sound of dozens of pairs of feet running quickly away form press room door.

Bcraig47

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI Autobahn
Still doesn't sound legit. Like I know there are sources but why would they have a second brand to Volks. It would be better for stock prices if they kept it all in one, would value the company more. Im curious how they will have the dealerships set up. Kinda like how Mercedes did smart car sales.
10/10 confused haha

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Good call. This way they can claim it was just press markup for an April's Fool joke that was leaked by some damn janitor.

Janitor gets fired.

Much whistling, door closing, sound of dozens of pairs of feet running quickly away form press room door.

ah, scooped above^

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT

Janitor gets fired.

Yeah, Im thinking that's what happened after all lol.... the leaked press release day was for April 29, not the 1st... and they half-confirmed it officially at first when cornered... I guess to give them options later on, once they slept on it, they decided "haha, woops" April Fools.... this whole thing was weird... Or maybe I did overthink it and it was what was thought of all along, a botched April Fools...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Still doesn't sound legit. Like I know there are sources but why would they have a second brand to Volks. It would be better for stock prices if they kept it all in one, would value the company more. Im curious how they will have the dealerships set up. Kinda like how Mercedes did smart car sales.
10/10 confused haha
It was an April fools joke accidentally released too early.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It was an April fools joke accidentally released too early.

Then they doubled down claiming it wasn't, when they should have just folded. "Yeah guys, it was going to be an April Fools joke, but it got released early. Our bad."