GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VOLKSWAGEN Golf Mk7 GTD

Dave1R

Car(s)
Vw GTD GOlf R
Hi guys need some help regarding a problem i am having. So when my engine on and driving does not loose coolant but as soon as switch off overnight coolant disappears. There is no visible leaks. I have changed the secondary pump due to engine managment light had appeared but this has not rectified. Can someone help. No idea were the water is going. There is no overheating and no issues with gasket.

Dave1R

Car(s)
Vw GTD GOlf R
Can anyone shine some light on this matter been to 3 different garages who cant find a leak.

Dave1R

Car(s)
Vw GTD GOlf R
Tell them to visually inspect the thermostat housing and water pump.
Thank you for your speedy reply, themostat had been checked and no leaks at all but tbh i don't think this bad been changed miles are 146k now , it's had one timing belt from old owner at 131k but not sure if he had changed waterpump tbh. But thee garage are saying waterpump may have gone faulty as not recirculating, ive got a video when the car is off its got a noise whining coming out like mad from near the water coolanr expansion tank

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sounds like it was overheating and coming out of the expansion tank. That's why in the morning you had coolant on the ground.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So when you say "coolant disappears" you mean that the expansion tank is completely empty of coolant??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah mate so overnight completely empty then have to refil in morning

You defo got problems....basically the system needs pressure testing with a trace dye.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah mate so overnight completely empty then have to refil in morning

If there is no water under the car then it has to be going somewhere else. Have you checked the oil?

If you can get under the car have a look down the front of the engine for any damp and looking down from the top look for wet on the front bumper under-tray.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi guys need some help regarding a problem i am having. So when my engine on and driving does not loose coolant but as soon as switch off overnight coolant disappears. There is no visible leaks. I have changed the secondary pump due to engine managment light had appeared but this has not rectified. Can someone help. No idea were the water is going. There is no overheating and no issues with gasket.
Front footwells damp? Heater matrix?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Are you actually refilling the coolant with g13 or just water?

Dave1R

Car(s)
Vw GTD GOlf R
You defo got problems....basically the system needs pressure testing with a trace dye.
Hi guys thanks for your replies got it checked and heater core is clogged. When heaters are on max its loosing coolant whilst driving rapidly. Overnight it looses all coolant and using g13 coolant. Its confirmed as heater matrix there is no dampness on or near the heater core itself. Thanks for all your replies, the head gasket has been checked and absolutely perfect. I never have heard of a heater matrix doing this casue the air is still warm on heaters so found it a bit weird but i guess have to change this, can it be done myself or garage ?