GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VMR V718 18x8.5 tire opinions - 235/40 vs 225/40

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
I'm trying to decide which tires to pair with VMR V718 18x8.5 for a MK7 Golf with VWR springs (likely their 1.8 edition, https://deutscheautoparts.com/make-...resent/steering-and-suspension/vwr31g7ml.html, tho the drop seems very close across both).

Originally I thought 235/40, then VMR suggested 225/40 instead, citing possible rubbing. I've found various posts across forums that state both that the 235/40 do not rub, and several others that say they will to some extent, even with the fender screw mod.

Another option are the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 which this thread digs into (http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14465). Love the squared up look and they seem to be able to pull off the 225/40 fit. The cons are their cost, the possibility that they may not visually fill the wheel well gap quite as well as say the Continental ExtremeContact DW 225/40 (which actually look pretty good despite the stretch), and arguably they may protect the rim a little less than a 225/40.

If anyone has any experience with these variations, or photos, please share! I'm undecided enough to wonder if I should go back to the drawing board and look more specifically at 8" rims. But after several weeks of research, I keep returning to VMR. In the running were several that are just too pricey for me (BBS CH-R, Watkins Glen) or that I didn't like as much visually (Neuspeed RSe12).

LukeGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have 710s with 225/40 and yes there is stretch, which visually i don't mind. im on H&Rs and could see 235s rubbing tho.

shz702

Ready to race!
I have those exact wheels on order (supposedly shipping out tomorrow) and I plan to go with 235/40's. I don't really care for the stretched look. My local shop will be installing H&R sport springs at the same time the wheels go on. This is on a sportwagen but I'll post up impressions after it's done.

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
I'm feeling the direction is going to be VMR V718 ET45, Michelin Pilot SS 235/40, and VWR 1.8 springs. Enough people have said their MPSS 235/40, or even 245/40, fit fine with no rub.

If anyone thinks this is bad news, and to go either MPSS 225/40 or another brand of 235/40, say it now! :-] Sorry to beat this to death, but I don't have much experience with cars these days, having lived in San Francisco for 20 years. Just don't want to make a bad decision and have to live with it for 25k miles.

Last edited: