GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video - Golf R at Sonoma Raceway

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Big difference between the first video and the most recent. You're suing more of the track and more maintenance throttle in longer corners instead of coasting.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I was back up at Sonoma Raceway this last weekend with the Audi club. The latest round of mods let me knock 2.5 seconds off my previous best lap. My goal is to get under 2 minutes but at this point the onus is on the driver to up his game. I am probably going to have to visit this track more than once a year for that to happen.

Very nice run. 2.5 seconds off a low 2 minute lap is huge. How much do you think was mods vs. knowing the track better? I know that's as subjective as heck, but just a guesstimate. Nice driving.

Is that first right hander after start/finish as off camber as it looks in the vids?

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Very nice run. 2.5 seconds off a low 2 minute lap is huge. How much do you think was mods vs. knowing the track better? I know that's as subjective as heck, but just a guesstimate. Nice driving.

Is that first right hander after start/finish as off camber as it looks in the vids?

Sorry for the late reply as I was in Denver on business. The turn in the screencap, turn 2? It's not so much off camber as you are cresting a hill right at the apex so keeping the car balanced is critical. The hill is crazy steep so you brake on the upslope, keep a neutral throttle until you're on top, then hammer it. Crashes at T2 during races are fairly common.

A friend of mine who ran a 1:55 in his Mk2 TTRS made similar mods to mine (KW Clubsport and Wavetrac) since his last trip to Sonoma and picked up about 2 seconds over his previous best, so I'd say the mods definitely make a substantial contribution. Fwiw, my theoretical best lap was a 1:59 while my best rolling lap (one that did not coincide with the start/finish line) was 2:01, so a sub 2 minute lap is in reach.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 7.18.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 7.18.40 PM.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 110

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for the late reply as I was in Denver on business. The turn in the screencap, turn 2? It's not so much off camber as you are cresting a hill right at the apex so keeping the car balanced is critical. The hill is crazy steep so you brake on the upslope, keep a neutral throttle until you're on top, then hammer it. Crashes at T2 during races are fairly common.

A friend of mine who ran a 1:55 in his Mk2 TTRS made similar mods to mine (KW Clubsport and Wavetrac) since his last trip to Sonoma and picked up about 2 seconds over his previous best, so I'd say the mods definitely make a substantial contribution. Fwiw, my theoretical best lap was a 1:59 while my best rolling lap (one that did not coincide with the start/finish line) was 2:01, so a sub 2 minute lap is in reach.

Thanks. Yes, that's the turn.

Those are terrific gains. It's a very satisfying feeling to see $$ spent turn into real gains on track. You have to be very happy with those results.

I think a lot of that is because your track experience allows you to know what needs to be changed BEFORE making the changes. Or, as a minimum, what dynamically you would like to be changed with the car and clearly explain that to a pro shop.

Other than safety stuff, brakes/tires/etc, it kind of drives me nuts seeing some people pour tons of money into their cars before ever learning to drive it hard on track (which takes more than 1 or 2 track days).

Good stuff.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Thanks. Yes, that's the turn.

Those are terrific gains. It's a very satisfying feeling to see $$ spent turn into real gains on track. You have to be very happy with those results.

I think a lot of that is because your track experience allows you to know what needs to be changed BEFORE making the changes. Or, as a minimum, what dynamically you would like to be changed with the car and clearly explain that to a pro shop.

Other than safety stuff, brakes/tires/etc, it kind of drives me nuts seeing some people pour tons of money into their cars before ever learning to drive it hard on track (which takes more than 1 or 2 track days).

Good stuff.

I gave Griffin fairly specific instructions prior to the project starting. They suggested the Tyrolsport deadset but that was about it. And I agree, I love the "I am doing my first track day evar, what should I do to the car to get it ready?" and they get a set of responses that boil down to replace everything on the whole darn car. Except for tires, my car was stock for its first 5 days on track. I needed that experience so that I could prioritize the modifications I felt needed to be made. Then, since the R was brand new at the time and aftermarket support was minimal, I had to go out and find people who could make the parts.