GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration?

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Haaha well that works too. I think no car is perfect honestly, even new. My wife's mini offers a lot of road noise, the seats in my 335 were a bit ackward for me and my STi's interior rattled even during its first year lol. Gotta love the car for its good things. Best of luck with anyone having serious vibration issues.

lcubed

Ready to race!
Refer to my post. I've had my car into 5 different shops over the course of 6 months trying to get my vibration issue solved. in the process, I've gotten a suspension component replaced, I've replaced all 4 of my rims, gotten brand new lug bolts, brand new hubcentric rings, and I've gotten tire balances.

My car still vibrates.

did any of the five shops actually unmount the tires from the wheels and rotate to minimize the effect of the heavy spot (usually marked on the new tires)?

if they didn't do at least that, then maybe not a great shop.

TQGTI

This is definitely not an isolated incident.

I picked up my brand new 2016 G7 GTI on Tuesday.
I've done around 300 miles so far and took the car out on the highway this weekend and immediately noticed the vibration at around 75-80 mph. Looked over at the passenger seat and it was shaking like crazy.

Will be taking the car back to the dealer tomorrow.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've gotten a case number assigned from VW but I'm not sure I want to continue with this headache, in my case is not so bad as to have to go through my local dealers incompetence and the whole dreadful back and forth. Best of luck to you guys, if recommend reaching out directly to vw and let the warranty take care of this.

I'm in the same boat. I feel defeated and barely even care to throw any more time or money at it.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
This is definitely not an isolated incident.

I picked up my brand new 2016 G7 GTI on Tuesday.
I've done around 300 miles so far and took the car out on the highway this weekend and immediately noticed the vibration at around 75-80 mph. Looked over at the passenger seat and it was shaking like crazy.

Will be taking the car back to the dealer tomorrow.

Seat shaking! Can you hear it shaking too? The sound drives me absolutely fucking crazy unless my music is loud enough to cover it up (and I drive 4 50 mile trips on the highway a week, so I have to deal with it all the time)

Yomny1

Ready to race!
I'm in the same boat. I feel defeated and barely even care to throw any more time or money at it.

I drove around today quite a lot and included a variety of surfaces, asphalt, concrete on some bridges and varied speeds. I think it could be related to the tires. I think the all season 500 tread wear tires could have something to do with this roughness. I feel the vibration at times but then other times it wasn't there, varied on road surfaces but when it did occur it was at about 80mph. Don't even know what to make of it, just hope it doesn't get worse.

In the other hand it seems others are having this vibration to a higher degree of severity. Taking it in and not letting the car leave the dealer till its completely resolved would be your best bet.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Anyone know the factory recommended torque specs for tightening the wheels? And do you think it would be the same for aftermarket rims of the same size, but with cone seat lugs?

lcubed

Ready to race!
factory specs are 88 ft-lbs.

I switched over from my winter wheels to my summer Cadiz wheels yesterday and noticed one could easily not load the bolts properly if the wheel is not properly seated on the hub (and one was not paying attention) ala tireshop monkey boy.

zero new vibration (other than the rougher ride associated with 19" wheels vs 17" wheels)

TQGTI

I posted in this thread a few weeks ago as i was experiecing the same vibrations and thought i would give some feedback as the problem has been resolved!

So I took the car back the very next day, car was sent to a tyre shop (I took the car to the tyre shop myself) for balancing, as we suspected that this was the problem.

When the tyres were placed in the machine for balancing, they were all balanced correctly, however immediately you could see that the tyres were out of round (flat spotted).

The tyre shop notified the dealership and within an hour they called me to let me know that they had ordered new wheels for my car.

The wheels arrived and were fitted this morning and I am very glad to report that the problem is fixed and all vibrations are gone!

Epic after sales service from the dealership as well!

manfriday

Ready to race!
Stopped reading after first 3 pages but I had the issue when I went to Winter wheels and tires. The tires were from 17" rim I had on 15 GTI. The GTI never missed a beat at any speed regardless of wheel & tire combination. I bought new 17" wheels for R because of clearance issues but reused still good Conti Extreme Winter Contact (no longer in production).
Had dealer fit and balance and it was awful. At high 70's mph vibration began and got worse with speed. Had indie shop try (3 times) and only slight improvement. The last attempt I watched up close what their procedure was.
Balance new wheels and tires
Remove old wheels and replace. They put wheels with least balance weights on front.
Hand thread a couple of turns per stud then air gun to click
Lower car to ground
Hand torque to 95lbs (They hand torque EVERY car to the same spec)
Vibration persists but nowhere near as bad

Interspersed with all these trips to garages was a lot of forum reading including incantations, spells and voodoo but mostly a lot of cursing about how I missed my GTI

Next step was to replace centering rings as new wheels came with rings but looked quite pointless/useless
Found a new tire shop with a RoadForce balancer and had wheels re balanced.
Fitted wheels myself, one at a time. Hand tighten studs and wrench on to snug fit
lower car and torque to 88lbs (in the manual) with car on ground.
Done, problem solved......until I went back to Summer 19" wheels.
Refit, re torque and problem solved.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Stopped reading after first 3 pages but I had the issue when I went to Winter wheels and tires. The tires were from 17" rim I had on 15 GTI. The GTI never missed a beat at any speed regardless of wheel & tire combination. I bought new 17" wheels for R because of clearance issues but reused still good Conti Extreme Winter Contact (no longer in production).
Had dealer fit and balance and it was awful. At high 70's mph vibration began and got worse with speed. Had indie shop try (3 times) and only slight improvement. The last attempt I watched up close what their procedure was.
Balance new wheels and tires
Remove old wheels and replace. They put wheels with least balance weights on front.
Hand thread a couple of turns per stud then air gun to click
Lower car to ground
Hand torque to 95lbs (They hand torque EVERY car to the same spec)
Vibration persists but nowhere near as bad

Interspersed with all these trips to garages was a lot of forum reading including incantations, spells and voodoo but mostly a lot of cursing about how I missed my GTI

Next step was to replace centering rings as new wheels came with rings but looked quite pointless/useless
Found a new tire shop with a RoadForce balancer and had wheels re balanced.
Fitted wheels myself, one at a time. Hand tighten studs and wrench on to snug fit
lower car and torque to 88lbs (in the manual) with car on ground.
Done, problem solved......until I went back to Summer 19" wheels.
Refit, re torque and problem solved.

This gives me hope