GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibration?

Pr0xim0s

Ready to race!
So I just purchased my 2016 R about 3 weeks ago. Love the car but something bugs me about it. It might be nothing but I figure I check to see if anyone else notices this. I drive a lot on the highway and I notice that around 65+mph I feel like the car isn't "smooth". I'm not saying i shouldn't be feeling anything but it doesnt feel normal from what I'm use to. There is no Steering wheel vibration but if it's more of the overall cabin. If I look at my passenger seat you can see it shaking and I feel it too. Like I said it's nothing crazy but still odd. I had it happen to me on my stock wheels and my replacement wheels as well.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had this or if this is normal.

Mahojda80

Ready to race!
I wanna say that's def not normal lol. I'd take it back to the Stealership & have them look at it. Mine doesn't do that at all & feels pretty solid on the highways way above 65 MPH. I'm at 2,200 miles now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Mine did that at one point and they had to re-balance the tires.

nikhsub1

What?
both batches could be out of balance or out of round.

a competent tire shop should be able to solve this issue.
the trick is finding a competent tire shop....

I suppose both sets could be off - but he feels nothing in the steering wheel - it could be a wheel bearing or even the drive shaft or an axle...

TahoeR

Ready to race!
I live in snow county. Which means tons of dirt and soot buildup. Try a good wheel cleaning. If ou haven't already.

2016 R

Pr0xim0s

Ready to race!
I end up balancing the Tires again. Didn't really help.... I got VWR Springs installed now too and had the car realigned... High speed its still not a comfortable feel.... Honestly it's not that terrible but still a bit annoying when I notice it. I might just go to the dealership but now that I have VWR springs installed they will give me crap for that and blame them even though this was a pre-spring issue.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I end up balancing the Tires again. Didn't really help.... I got VWR Springs installed now too and had the car realigned... High speed its still not a comfortable feel.... Honestly it's not that terrible but still a bit annoying when I notice it. I might just go to the dealership but now that I have VWR springs installed they will give me crap for that and blame them even though this was a pre-spring issue.

Not an area of expertise but would drive shaft balance be an item to consider?
I know you are AWD and have the extra parts going to the rear. This can be an issue in RWD trucks with larger drive shaft.
I might be off on this but thought I would ask.

Yomny1

Ready to race!
So I just purchased my 2016 R about 3 weeks ago. Love the car but something bugs me about it. It might be nothing but I figure I check to see if anyone else notices this. I drive a lot on the highway and I notice that around 65+mph I feel like the car isn't "smooth". I'm not saying i shouldn't be feeling anything but it doesnt feel normal from what I'm use to. There is no Steering wheel vibration but if it's more of the overall cabin. If I look at my passenger seat you can see it shaking and I feel it too. Like I said it's nothing crazy but still odd. I had it happen to me on my stock wheels and my replacement wheels as well.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had this or if this is normal.

Not an R owner here but have the same issue. It annoys the living crap out of me. I have hankook ventus 1 noble2 something something and Ive noticed they're 500 tread wear, pretty hard. Not sure that any of that could be causing me to feel vibration but I've ran out of options.

Took the car to the dealer = BS- cant replicate. I specifically told them it happens at highway speeds my case ~70 mph, I understand its a bit high but its a valid speed and im almost certain they didn't bother to get on the highway.

I haven't rebalanced the tires but I guess it'll be cheaper than buying wheels and new tires so i'll be giving that a try first.

Took my car to the dealer with VWR springs, removed spacers just to be safe but im 100% sure they're not to blame. The dealer, at least in my case, didn't care about the springs. Its pretty clear the springs don't cause vibration and in my case I feel it under my butt, not steering related. I've also rotated tires with no improvement.
Starting to think its got nothing to do with the tires and its just the damn car.

Last edited:

BDI1

I just picked up my 2016 and I am having the same exact issues as you are.

I thought it was my wheels being unbalanced as well but I am still having vibrations with my winter wheel set up.

This reminds me of a similar issue on T3 Touaregs with vibrations. The remedy was to tighten the lugnuts to a specific torque(not factory torque spec).

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Thats an odd solution but hey whatever does the job. Im opening a claim with VWofA. Im not going to accept a brand new car feeling like a beater on the highway. For all i know some thing could be seiously wrong.

If the dealer does all they can and by this i mean rule out anything that could potentially lead to vibrations, ill accept just a bad not smooth ride and deal with it, of course never returning to VW again but ill have to deal with it. As of now theyve done nothing hence i proceeded to contact VW about this matter.

Pr0xim0s

Ready to race!
I just picked up my 2016 and I am having the same exact issues as you are.

I thought it was my wheels being unbalanced as well but I am still having vibrations with my winter wheel set up.

This reminds me of a similar issue on T3 Touaregs with vibrations. The remedy was to tighten the lugnuts to a specific torque(not factory torque spec).

Manual says 120nm Anyone got suggestion on going tighter and not causing damage?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I've got over 8K miles on my 2015 R now, including several long trips with extended periods driving 75+. Not a hint of vibration. I have DCC and 19" wheels in the Summer. What suspension/wheel size are you running?

Last edited: